Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
That's a very good suggestion thanks. I do plan a trip to Canada next year. I carry 2 passports. They have to let me in, but they don't have to let my bus in.

I'm curious though, do problems like this with different rules happen when traveling between states too?

gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Back in the '80's I used to do quite a bit of international driving, USA, Mexico, Guatemala & Honduras. Looking back it was really great, no computers, get stopped and usually a small "lunch donation" and you got to keep going on your way.

Now with computers, no more lunch money....

International driving today, best to be prepared with as much factual knowledge as possible cause now everyone has internet access and can verify or discredit anything you say in a heartbeat.

I found this website that provides really good information on International driving. There is a link for a PDF document of which I only briefly skimmed thru but on page 30 it does address International licensing.

Not really sure if it fits in with the Canada question but...maybe it does?

Enjoy the reading and let us know..

https://www.aamva.org/International-Licensing/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Foreign-Reciprocity-Resource-Guide-Sept2009.pdf (936.3 KB, 1 views)
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Thanks, that does look interesting.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlgaAK View Post
do you know which entry port it was? The BC border is pretty long. Are there checkpoints that are harder to pass than others?
I crossed at Lynden.

I can't speak to any other crossings into BC.

I can tell you that the border agents at the Detroit -Windsor crossing have been horrible every time I have crossed there.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
That does sound complicated. I had to run "third party Tag company" past DuckDuckGo. I don't think there's anything like that in Oregon. But they may reduce the GVW some if I ask.

Up until a few years ago Oregon DMV was not very helpful to people who wanted to convert schoolbuses. Some of their practices seemed deliberately designed to discourage people. Like having to drive to the state capitol to have your conversion inspected.

Then about 3 years ago that attitude changed and now they are much easier to deal with, explaining different options and things like that. Plus now people don't have to drive to the state capitol to be inspected.
That is a shame. Things have changed. I registered and insured my first bus in Oregon because, at the time, it was so much cheaper and easier. DMV was easy. No inspection. Miller Insurance was easy to work with. They specialized in bus conversions. I called them a couple of years ago with a question and was told that they no longer insure any buses.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Well, things have gotten much better with ODMV since I first started looking into getting a bus in Oregon, which was 2015. Now it's insurance that's the big hassle, especially if one intends to live in the bus. And State Farm is very inflexible about that. I think I may end up moving to South Dakota on paper, unless I find somewhere better.