Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: myself
Chassis: amtran
Engine: international dt466e allison md 3060
Rated Cap: 13 ton or so says the tit
Dt466e head gasket

I picked up a project (?) Bus. Dropped the oil pan and pressurized the coloring system. Cylinders 2 and 6 leaked through. 6 was bad.
My question is this: can i just replace those 2 piston sleeve setups? Or all 6? What if agreatgraftgreatly appreciated 3rd cylinder was bad but all the air pressure was let out in the other 2 and i just can't detect it?
I feel like i have this handled, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. With a special plea to the Cadillac kid. The skoolie master.

Thanks in advance.
Skoolie 4 life

Dead pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if it were mine, i'd pull a couple bearing caps and see what kind of shape the bearings are in.. if that thing got riun very long with lots of coolant in the oil it may very well have trashed the mains or rods.. (DT-466E's.. Can and do throw rods if run with bad bearings)..

Next, if the bearings are still good, i'd do a mini-inframe on it.. replace all 6 liners and pistons and of course the head gasket. and here is why.

thats assuming its leaking at the liners.. when you pressurized the system was the water running down from inside the liner and dripping or was the water running down from outside the liner..

if its from the inside you might be able to just put a head gasket on it and be done.. *IF* everything else is good and disturbing things doesnt cause a leak..

from the outside? its a liner seal.. and i'd change all 6.. along with the pistons and rings.. (rings at the very least)..

back to why change all 6.. when things get disturbed after being tioght for many years is when slight variations occur in reassembly.. a slight difference in pressure on one ofthe other 4 liners and then it decides to leak 3 weeks from now. a liner seal without swapping the liner.. can you ensure 100% it seats exactly back down where it was so the rings dont "run the ridge" on the liner.. obvipously a lot depends on your budget and what the intentions are for the bus.. if the intentions are to make a new skoolie and drive it forever then i'd probably overhaul the whole thing..(bearings, valves, pistons, sensors, liners, gaskets) if the intentions are to make it run and flip it then i'd probably do 6 liners,rings and a head gasket.. if the bearings are shot you pretty much should do those.. you could then sell it as a refreshed engine.. #6 is always the worst.. sounds like an over-heat event for sure.. the computer would tell us just how hot it got... it stores the last 3 overheat events.. a REAL hot event is going to have resulted in the head being warped.. becomes a toss up of whether it will seal on a new gasket... if the leaks are liners and not the gasket now then a real good chance the head will seal up against a new head gasket..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Thanks.
I don't have a way to check the computer, but the guy said it over heated and then shut it's self down. Does it have an automatic shut off at a certain temp.?
Looks like I'll be doing 6 sleeves and rings. Not gonna take a chance with the bearings. Might as well do those too. I didn't expect it to be easy. This is my first dt rebuild.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Bus Nut

I am also at a loss for borrowing the tool that removes the sleeves. Any hints?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
Bus Geek

if the oil diluted enough from coolant, the HPOP pressure would go south and shut the injection system down... I'd have to look and see if the computer has a full auto shutdown.. on the DT's i think the computer starts screaming and beeping somewhere in the 225-230 range which is already borderline damage-point..

did it still start and run before you pulled the pan?

the 2 toughest parts about these are being really careful with the wiring and associated connectors, and then R & R the liners... i'd spring for renting the liner tool.. but others have made their own improv tools that work.. the head will be heavy.. if its an FE bus, someone here recently created a dolly to wheel it right on inside their bus. .if its a CE or RE style, an engine hoist is the way to go.. its not a "cake" job, but someone with your mechanical skills can definitely do it, take your time and use torque wrenches.

-Christopher
Old 12-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
Bus Nut

It did start and i ran it to get it to where i can work on it. There was at least 4 gallons of anti freezer in the oil pan. The number 6 cylinder leaked from around the sleeve. It ran down the sides at a good rate. The number 2 cylinder leaked from the center.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #7
Bus Nut

The computer was screaming at 210. I'm gonna get the head worked and pressure tested. Hopefully it's good. It being huge gives me hope that it isn't warped. I'll know soon. I'm going at the head today. I love doing this work.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Do yippy know where the engine number is stamped? I need to order the rings and sleeves.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
Bus Geek

I thought it was tagged in paper near the valve cover. and the ESN stamped on the metal underside of the block. (external and visible with engine fully assembled)... im guessing you arent nice N close to central ohio where I could read your computer and snag the engine serial number...
Old 12-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #10
Bus Nut

No. I'm in st. Louis. I'll try and find that number.