Old 01-22-2005, 11:10 PM   #11
Bus Geek

For right now, i'm sticking with the 6.6 liter ford, just planning to swap transmissions. I'll see how this upgrade improves speed/power to the rear wheels.

Finding a 7.8 ford with 275 hp would be awsome! I looked at one here at the local school district that only had 10 hp more than my 6.6 liter.

Hope the trans swap goes without a hitch. I've never even separated an engine from it's transmission before. However, I'm mechanically inclined, and i've done a fair bit of fabricating.

Just waiting for the weather to get warmer. It's currently in the single digits and we're in the middle of a snowstorm.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:46 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Still snowing lightly here...about 2', with car-high drifts.

For the high-HP 7.8 engines, look in 10-wheelers (F-900, L8000, L9000) & single-axle L8000/9000 semi tractors.

Good luck with the 13-speed.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:02 PM   #13
Bus Nut

The other day we went to visit some friends and I saw a bunch of Laidlaw school buses. They were all rear engine International Amtran models. After doing some research on the web they have a DT466 in them and many are ordered with MT643s. Laidlaw their used buses so I doubt you could get a good deal like at auctions but it is a thought. I am sure somewhere some school district uses those buses and would auction them cheap. I am telling you about this because I remember somewhere you said you wanted a transit style skoolie.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:21 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Thanks for the info. Realistically, i cold probably buy a new used bus with a bigger engine and a better trans as cheap as i could swap a 13 speed into my bus.

why don't i just do that??

I've done a fair bit of searching for buses around here, and have not been able to find a good engine/trans combination. I would love a DT466/643 snub nose bus. Next fall one of the local school districts around here are auctioning off some DT466/AT545 dog nosed buses. This year all they had were DT360's. The disadvantage to these buses is that they don't have air brakes. I need air!

After swapping the trans in my current bus, it should be quite a bit easier to do it to the next bus when/if i find one with a bigger engine.

I'm confused, and don't really know what is the best course of action. My options are open. Eventually my school district will get around to selling their buses. There are about 10 of them that are ready for auction. Most are carpenter bodied 72 pass internationals with dt360/at545. I've started all of them, they all sound good (one needs an exhaust though)One of them has a bad trans and doesn't move. The rest all run and drive. I'm sure these buses will go for cheap: $500.00 or less. The bus with a bad trans should go for almost free. The DT360 gets less mpg than my 6.6 liter, but it's a higher performance engine. That would be a good candidate for the 13 speed eaton. IF i put the manual trans in my current bus, it should be that much easier to swap it into the "new" bus at a later time. I'm not doing any crawling around under my bus until the weather warms up.
I guess the options are: A new bus with the right engine/trans, my current bus with a different trans, or a new bus with a better although not ideal engine and the new 13 speed trans. The latter two options are convienent. I've been looking for about 6 months for the bus i want, and have been unable to locate one that's in my price range. I don't like the idea of spending over 1,000 dollars for a used bus. It would have to be something pretty special. Realistically, if the bus had a DT466 and the lock up/overdrive allison auto it would be worth 2 grand.

I don't know...i'm just a confused boy!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:40 PM   #15
Bus Nut

I know what you mean about trying to find the ideal bus. Are you willing to travel very far to find it? Have you checked out 422 sales? I have followed many of their auctions and some good buses go cheap. Just scroll down to the bottom of their homepage and you can see some of the previous auctions. It seems like a lot of carpenter buses are being dumped still. Some are forward control models with DT series engines in them. Just take your time and the right bus will come along.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:46 PM   #16
Bus Geek

I dont' mind at all owning one of the carpenter buses.

It was so easy to find my first bus. I wasn't even looking, she just followed me home by accident. gotta love impulse buying!