Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Elastomeric woes - painting over with enamel?

So I roller'd my roof with Henry's Solar-Flex and I'm just not happy with it. It came out the texture of rough drywall or stucco. Even though it has been dry for a month, it's still slightly tacky causing any dirt, branch scrapes, bugs, etc to stain permanently. Power washer doesn't quite take marks off it.

I am about to paint the rest of my bus using an HVLP spray gun (with regulator) from HF. I installed a 1/4" fitting to the air compressor on my bus, I expect the flow will be sufficient. For paint I will use implement enamel from either Shirwin-Williams or Car Quest, haven't decided yet, still doing research.

My question is, can I spray over the elastomeric with enamel and finally clear coat? Will it cause cracking? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Lowkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
HVLP spray guns require many cfm's to function properly. Before you commit yourself to using your buses air compressor you might want to do a test panel to be sure you have a continuous air supply great enough to get the job done. I'd bet against the buses compressor being up to the task.

Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
I have the same problem with my elastometric paint. I actually like the texture, but the tackiness drives me nuts. This stuff is supposed to cure in 24 hours. I waited a week to install my solar panels on the roof and I left dirty footprints all over. Felt like my feet were sticking to the paint.

Any suggestions? I really do like the paint.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowkee View Post
So I roller'd my roof with Henry's Solar-Flex and I'm just not happy with it. It came out the texture of rough drywall or stucco. Even though it has been dry for a month, it's still slightly tacky causing any dirt, branch scrapes, bugs, etc to stain permanently. Power washer doesn't quite take marks off it.

I am about to paint the rest of my bus using an HVLP spray gun (with regulator) from HF. I installed a 1/4" fitting to the air compressor on my bus, I expect the flow will be sufficient. For paint I will use implement enamel from either Shirwin-Williams or Car Quest, haven't decided yet, still doing research.

My question is, can I spray over the elastomeric with enamel and finally clear coat? Will it cause cracking? Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Call the manufacturer of the roof paint and ask them.
I thought about going with elastomeric at first but after looking into it I don't think I'd like it.
make sure you use an air/water separator!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
HVLP spray guns require many cfm's to function properly. Before you commit yourself to using your buses air compressor you might want to do a test panel to be sure you have a continuous air supply great enough to get the job done. I'd bet against the buses compressor being up to the task.

Jack
Hey Jack, I wondered about that too. I knew it has been done before so I gave it a shot. It works great! At idle I can run the gun almost constantly without any drop in flow.I need to take about a 30 second break every 2 minutes or so.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Call the manufacturer of the roof paint and ask them.
I thought about going with elastomeric at first but after looking into it I don't think I'd like it.
make sure you use an air/water separator!
I wondered about that. The air smells like oil out of the gun... Like bad SCUBA air. This will work, ya?

https://www.harborfreight.com/oilwat...tor-68246.html

Do I need a filter of some kind too?
Old 05-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
LK, that 30 sec break tells me the bus compressor isn't keeping up with the cfm's. If you forget the timing and the air flow drops, the gun will stop atomizing the paint but will continue to produce paint flow--like a cow peeing on a flat rock. Sort of wrecks the paint job. Now for the obligatory "Don't even ask me how I know" line.

Good luck! Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
older Bendix compressors are Known for pushing oil into the air stream... they use a supply of engine oil to oil the compressor.. it is pumped up into the compressor crankshaft and then is to drain back into the engine crank-case.. if those oil return holes clog at all you end up withg more oil in the compressor body than you want and some.. sometimes alot ends up into the air-stream.. the air dryer should take most of the oil and moisture out.. and the wet tank, the rest.. but its not a nice clean air supply that id want to paint with...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:44 PM   #9
Skoolie

Out of curiosity, did you prime the roof with anything before applying the elastomeric paint? I read the directions, and it said that you should paint an "uncoated" metal roof with Henry's 107 asphalt emulsion first. I wasn't sure if yellow bus paint counts as coating or not? I figured it couldn't hurt, anyway, so I slathered the roof and the underside of the bus with the stuff. On the undercarriage, I'm hoping it will protect the frame and the underside of the floor from water and subsequent rusting. It came out of the bucket looking just like chocolate pudding, but dried to a nice black finish. The recent rain has prevented me from following up with the elastomeric paint yet, and now I'm heading out of town for a couple of weeks, so I guess I will have to wait to see how it goes. I'll try to report back then.

I also have a couple of HVLP automotive paint sprayers. I just rolled the 107 on since it was so thick, but I will probably try to spray the elastomeric. Fingers crossed that it will go well.
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote