Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 91
Chassis: Thomas Saf-T-Liner Pusher
Engine: Cat 3208T 250hp MT643auto
Electrical Safety Switches

I looked and couldn't find a discussion about this, so hope i'm not repeating. My bus was converted from activity bus to church bus hauling kids to summer camp. Some of the safety switches like, rear escape window, rear escape door, flashing red lights, have been disabled. So the guy that drove the bus said, only problem with bus is solenoid is bad, has a jumper wire to jump solenoid then everything works fine. So I go buy new solenoid and replace, as soon as I turn key to on position, buzzers go off like supposed to on oil pressure and air. In about 5 seconds at most, clicking sound and solenoid opens, all buzzers stop, no voltage to ignition, until you jumper solenoid again, even the new one. I have ran several test and have decided that solenoid is good, ignition is good, something is causing solenoid to open and not allow to start, i'm thinking one of the safety devices is causing this but can't find which one because I don't have a good wiring diagram of all these. Has anyone ran into this and can you help me figure out what, and which one it is? As soon as I jumper solenoid everything has voltage where it's suppose to and bus starts and runs perfectly, everything works that I have tried with exception of door buzzers, and red lights. Please help if possible. Thanks

DaRealGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Electrical Safety Switches

On mine there was actually 2 separate solenoid's

one had a broke wire, so I had feed back from one going through the whole harness back feeding the one with broken wire, it actually fed the ignition switch

I would have power where needed, turn key solenoid would click and no power to the starter/"push up" on fuel shut off

The 2nd sol. was tucked up way underneath the frame, I could "feel it" click and no out put so I fixed broken wire/d-ring and no more issues

just throwing this out to think about

hopefully this winter, wiring will get redone
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Install a switch to jumper the solenoid...added security ;)

On my bus, all safety devices were linked together in one big circuit. To completely disable, all I had to do was go to my main solenoid (not starter solenoid) and cut the loop out and soldered the wires together and it would function as if the safety devices never existed. If this is what you mean you are doing, and the key still starts and stops the bus, I don't see the issue.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Hey guys thanks for input I will check out both these ideas. Jake what I have to do is jumper solenoid to get key to start bus, but key will not kill bus, have to remove jumper wire on solenoid to kill bus. Can kill accessories with key but not engine. Haven't been able to figure out which wire may go to safety devices yet.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Gotcha, that's what I was afraid you meant, lol... I would start with figuring out how to completely bypass the safety devices wiring. Since your bus is older, like mine, you shouldn't have any computer or anything you are dealing with.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Sounds to me like you have a short somewhere and a tripping. After it cools down it will reset.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

No, the only way it resets is if I remove the battery power from the solenoid, and then reattach the power to the solenoid.