Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Emergency Exit Window Location

In our short bus, we're planning to remove one of the emergency exit windows from the right side of the bus (doesn't fit with our current floor plan), and were considering putting it on the left side instead to have a way to get more windows open and get more air through the bus (when we're not driving down the road, obviously). The windows swing outward along the upright for the window (they are not the ones that tilt out from the top).

The question I have is whether the exit window, when moved to the left side of the bus, and also hinged on the left side, would be a potential problem when driving down the road? Has anyone tried this, and is there any potential issue to wind getting in there and forcing the window open? On the right side of the bus, where it came from, that wasn't possible since the hinge was on the side of the window closest to the front, not the rear.

Chris

Old 03-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Check that the window openings are the same size - they might be different from left to right because of the doors taking up space on one side, but not the other.

I'm not sure if the hinge side should make a difference or not - I'd look at the mechanism that holds them closed.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Have a pic of the window? Is it symmetrical, or does it have a top and a bottom? Can you flip it over to open the correct way?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Thanks for the replies! I'll have to get a picture after the snowstorm. Anyway, I can't flip it the way it's constructed and still have it work as a normal window. I do know they are the same size left to right at least. The mechanism is probably the biggest question, and if there's any doubt, I'll probably just remove the window altogether, since even if it doesn't pull open, it will likely leak air more than it needs to while driving.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I looked again and there's just a small piece of metal holding the window closed. I think I won't temp fate and just leave the window out. I'm not sure that latch is even steel.

On a related note, I've not removed any of the windows yet, and plan to at least relocate one of the emergency windows in the right side, and it looks like there's a rubber gasket between them and the frame. Is this reusable? If not, what should I prepare for so I can reinstall quickly?

Thanks again for all the help!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190305_203233690.jpg   IMG_20190305_203247816.jpg  
Old 08-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Chevy Express Hi Cube Bus
Engine: 6.0l
Your thread / build is inspiring. I wish you lived in New Jersey so I could get some help with mine. We have the same bus year/type. I will not be as detailed as you have been, since I’m not very mechanically inclined, What I have done is cover two windows on either side with custom ordered / cut sheet metal I spray painted black with rustoleum paint, pulled back the metal under the windows to inspect the insulation and add reflectix. The insulation was in good condition and I’m the type of the person that likes to leave well enough alone. “If it ain’t broke....” I siliconed those windows, added great stuff in the gaps in between all the windows, and switched one of the emergency windows to allow use in the new kitchen area. That will probably be the extent on the interior.

I may rip up the rubber flooring, fill in the floor rails with something. Lol. Then I plan to silicone the outside of all the windows, check out the roof and tackle that next. I purchased some rust dissolved jelly and a 5 gallon bucket of Henry’s solar flex roof coating to coat the roof. I want to silicone around he emergency hatches, so I can continue to use them for air circulation, and then try to tackle the interior design.

I look forward to continue reading your progress. Good luck.
Evey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I did have a question about the windows. Did you cut the wires to the emergency hatches and have a problem starting the bus? My brother said he pulled a fuse and that may be the issue, but I’m just trying to figure it all out as I go along. My radio doesn’t work and I bought a new one and it still isn’t working, so my brother was messing with the fuses and we still haven’t gotten that to work yet.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I meant to post my replies on Farok's build thread. Sorry
Old 08-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
Check that the window openings are the same size - they might be different from left to right because of the doors taking up space on one side, but not the other.

I'm not sure if the hinge side should make a difference or not - I'd look at the mechanism that holds them closed.
On my bus, the exit and non-exit windows themselves are the same size and the inside framing is the same size for all, but the outer openings (created by the vertical pieces attached to the outside of the ribs) are 1" wider for the exit windows to give the necessary clearance for the inner unit to swing out. I got messed up by this because I had planned to move my exit windows all to front right because from the inside it looked like it would work; it wasn't until I actually tried to put one in the opening that I realized it wouldn't work.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey_c View Post
I wish you lived in New Jersey so I could get some help with mine.
What part of Jersey are you in? I live in Philly and I'm up for helping out fellow skooliers from time to time.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
What part of Jersey are you in? I live in Philly and I'm up for helping out fellow skooliers from time to time.
I'm in Union County, exit 137 on the parkway. Maybe we can meet at a homedepot parking lot. Lol
Old 08-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey_c View Post
I'm in Union County, exit 137 on the parkway. Maybe we can meet at a homedepot parking lot. Lol
Oh well, that's a bit farther than I thought.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Oh well, that's a bit farther than I thought.
No worries, I completely understand. Thanks for offering.