Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6 cylinder diesel
Engine Brake?

I have an 89 Thomas Skoolie that I need an engine brake for. Where would I search to find one, and how hard would it be if I were to put it in myself? Does engine size matter? It’s a 6.6 turbo diesel ford motor.doesnt have much power and I bought it in Wisconsin. But now that I live out west, I have to consider the mountain passes. So an engine brake seems like it makes sense

fordthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordthomas View Post
I have an 89 Thomas Skoolie that I need an engine brake for. Where would I search to find one, and how hard would it be if I were to put it in myself? Does engine size matter? It’s a 6.6 turbo diesel ford motor.doesnt have much power and I bought it in Wisconsin. But now that I live out west, I have to consider the mountain passes. So an engine brake seems like it makes sense
I doubt you'll find an actual engine brake for that.

YOu can find a driveline retarder. They're as good as it gets.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Actual jake brakes require different heads and a bunch of other major modifications to the top end of the motor.

Do what Eastcoast CB said, thats basically your only other option. That and invest in better brakes.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
You can put an exhaust brake on it.

Look up pacbrake or jacobs exhaust brake.

I doubt there were any factory offerings, so anything you install will likely be custom.

What transmission do you currently have?
Old 12-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
When driving in the mountains, it's critical to use the correct gears when climbing and descending. Never descend in a gear higher than what you climbed that same grade in, and if needed drop one more gear than that when descending. Use stab braking to drop your speed, not continuous light braking - stab braking dissipates heat better than continuous light braking. Remember that diesel engines have no inherent retarding ability when descending (apart from their internal mechanical friction) because they have no intake throttle, compared to gasoline engines that are pulling against intake vacuum when on a closed throttle. Exhaust brakes work moderately well, but can sometimes cause a shorter life to valves; Jake brakes are only made for heavy-duty engines, so unfortunately they're not an option for you. Telma retarders are excellent and can be used continuously: all their heat is harmlessly dissipated into the airstream under the vehicle, but they do need a large alternator to supply their field windings.

Just put on your 4-way flashers and take it slow and easy down the long grades. (And some grades here are long: the western approach to Donner Pass is almost 70 miles of climbing!)

Be safe,
John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
That would be the 6.6l New Holland diesel. An excellent tractor motor. I also have the same motor.

We drove ours from FL to Joshua Tree CA, to Yosemite (Oakhurst CA), up to Oregon, through Crater lake, Bend OR, Spokane WA, across to Idaho, Montana, and now in ND.

We put a new all aluminium radiator in before we left FL. Going up was slow but steady with some breaks on he way up mountains.

Going down, stab breaking all the way. Slow and steady. A transmission retarder would have been a great addition.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
Pacbreak

Ive got a Pacbreak on my DT466e. Its wired up but not engaging yet. I live in very mountainous area and feel and engine break is a must have. And lots of patience.
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote