Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Engine Numbers, manuals and info

I've got a 1985 IHC S1600 Thomas Built 54 passenger bus and I'm trying to find all the raw information about it as I can before I start the actual rebuilding. I found the VIN plate (hidden inside a cabinet) and part of the Engine Info on a valve cover label but half of that is missing.

Where the heck is the engine number on the block and the tranny model number as well? Also how do I find out what the gearing is that I have in the tranny and rear end, is that info a part of the VIN number? And if so where can I bounce that number against a discription of spec's and stuff?

I've got a VIN number, Chassis ID number and Body ID number...what is what and how is that used?

My bus has a 9 liter engine in it and I'd like to find some sort of manual for operations, maintenance and repair, were can I find something like that?

I'd also like to have a schematic of the original electrical systems of the stock bus system, where can I locate that?

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate any assistance I can get. Finally....any skoolie owners located in Southern Colorado? Pueblo area?

Thanks,

Steve

oakspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Your axle ratio will likely be stamped or tagged on the rear housing somewhere. Take a peak on it. Mine is on a tag on the front, door side of rear axle.

What transmission do you have? The ratios are pretty universal in a particular transmission model. A few do have a wide and close ratio variant. Again, the model of the transmission should be on a tag somewhere on the transmission.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

My transmission is automatic with Reverse/Neutral/Drive. Not even a low drive...just drive. I believe I was told by the previous owner it was a two speed automatic but if it's shifting it's pretty smooth and you don't feel a surge or anything. Top speed peddle to the metal is 55-60 mph which I'd like to change.

One of the first things I need to do is get the Tach working. It's mechanical and I can see where its missing the last section of it that goes into the gauge. But I figure that I'll need all the numbers and such to order a replacement part or locate a compatible part from another rig.

Another thing is that I need to do is reduce the tension on the gas pedal...man you have to really lay on the pressure to keep it down and my foot and leg get tired after a while. Hmmm cruise control anyone?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

OOPS....Big Gary is and international S1800 not a 1600.

I crawled around under the bus and scrubbed off the dirt and 20+ years of dust and whatever:

Rear end: Spicer SN03285A Model F170S
572173C91 Ratio: 6.50

I couldn't find anything on the transmission to indicate what it is....where would they hide it? On the top?

Also where's the engine number on a Model #165F, 9.0L engine?

Thanks

Steve
Old 03-22-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
If your 1985 bus has a two speed tranny it's one I sure as heck haven't ever heard of. My guess is that it's an AT545. I know Allison made some two speeds, but I don't know that they were used into the 80's.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
Skoolie

Hey man, I just got my first bus about a month ago, I live up in Breckenridge, and am currently converting to veggie oil. Ever up this way?
Old 03-24-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Your Right Wayne, it's not a two speed...in fact yesterday I talked with International and they referred me to the local rep and he looked up the VIN and faxed me the "Line Set Ticket" which is a list of all the original spec's for my bus when it was built. Boy am I a dummy! That was easy!! Shocked

Engine: 9.0L IH V8 Diesel, Model Code BA18535, Ser# 0000534

Transmission: AT545 Allison 4SPD T326 (well it does shift REALLY SMOOTH)

Rear End: Spicer Model F170S Ratio 6.50

Apparently there's a tag somewhere on the bus that lists all these spec's. I found a partial tag on the drivers side valve cover...but about half of it is worn off. Thanks to the local Navistar/International dealer I now have a complete list of everything originally set up on the bus.

I would still like to find any manuals pertaining to this bus. Haven't located anything like that on the internet yet. Any suggestions as to where to look or who would have something like this?

dlor1 haven't been up to Breckenridge yet....but I wonder how many skoolie's there are here in Colorado? Perhaps a Skoolie "roundup" or gathering would be in order sometime in the future.

I'm taking next week off and with a buddy am going to start the careful demolition of the old interior. It should be interesting to start with a clean slate. As he sits right now the bus is nothing but a big room with electricity if hooked up to "Shore Power". The goal is design a bus that is fully capable of extended dry camping anywhere we choose in any season. So that when we've had enough of civilization we can just "bug out" to the hills, valley's and empty spaces for a while to regain our sanity
Old 03-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Allison has a lot of literature about the AT545 available on their website. To be perfectly honest the owners manual that actually comes with the bus is absolutely useless.

Your IH dealer might be willing to make you some printouts of the manuals (the Ford stealership does for me) for your engine. Otherwise they might know where you could find the manuals. I'd just say that you should checkj eBay, but I'm sure you have at this point.