Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1984
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: orig.327, now 429
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via ICQ to abdabbs Send a message via AIM to abdabbs
Engine swap...

...anyone with any knowledge of the possibility of dropping in a 460 Ford big block in place of my 370 that currently resides in my conversion please respond.

dont know if one from a truck or an ol lincoln or such would work. going to research it for a winter project.

I believe I have an allison tranny. when my bus arrives back from its weekend excursion to Saint Cloud, MN I will post more info on the exact present setup it has.

1983 Ford B700 with a BlueBird body.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TonyC in Iowa

abdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:59 AM   #2

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet C60
Engine: Chevy 350
Re: Engine swap...

I've had my skoolie for about 15 years and been many, many places with it.
I would say about 80% of the skoolie owners that have made an engine swap regreted it.
I'm on my 5th, yes I said it fifth, engine. Each time I've replaced it I've keep the same kind of motor.
My skoolie is a 1979, dognose, full length, with a Chevy 350, 2 barrel carb., automatic transmission.
I've been places I'd only take a 4-wheel truck. I've been coast to coast, north, south and everywhere in between.
I've passed semi's going through the rockies, smokies, and about every other hill.
I'm not saying it's fast but it will get you there.
My point is for that "little" 350 to be able to do all that you have to have the proper combinations.
the motor, transmission, and read end were designed to all work together.
If you swap engines for something else there's a very good chance you will lose more than you gain.
Each engine has a very limited R.P.M. range where it produces the most torque.
My 350 (small block) has excellent power in the mid- rpm's.
If I swapped for a 454 (big block) that engine makes it's most power in a much lower rpm.
Just because it's bigger, or more horsepower dosen't mean it will be better.
If I wanted more power I could screw in an rv cam. Or I could go all out and install a supercharger.
Be carefull about any drivetrain swaps. I've met a lot of dissatisfied skoolie owners that wish they just left it the way it came.
wetrytoserve is offline   Reply With Quote