Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
Skoolie

Entrance door ideas?

Hi again,

I am looking for door ideas for my conversion right now I just have the factory school bus door I wanted to go with a RV door and maybe just move it back 10 to 12' and block off the factory location so its like a class A RV but then I need a window, anybody have pics or ideas?

I figure I can find some used RV door and windows at a RV salvage yard.

BTW what is the trick to closing and opening the folding door from the outside currently to lock move the lever to the locked position and exit out the rear exit of the bus. Again this is a 87 Chevy blue bird bus.

Thanks.

hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #2

I'm in the middle of moving my front bus door back 12+ feet. I've installed a radius camper door in the side and this weekend I have taken off the old hinged door. The bootm where the steps are will be storage. The top half will have a new window installed. I did this primarily to be able to put a captains seat up front for my wife so we could enjoy the ride together. It also allows me better us of interior space. you can see it on this site under awildbus photos. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sKOOLieConversions/

The new door has steps cut into the bus. I plan on putting a hinged step assembly that will fold up into the bus and then place a flat cover to avoid stepping into the step area during travel or sleep time.
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
Skoolie

My future plans is to convert the rear of my bus into a toy hauler, the conversion will include removing all the windows and current door from the back of the bus and replace it with a fold down door that will double as a ramp to load my ATV's like you see on most enclosed tow behind trailers.

Right now I am looking at the top window in the rear door, remove it and rotate it 90 degrees and install in a new metal frame door that will replace the front bi fold entrance door, my home made door hopefully will have more glass area than a regular RV door would have, I intend to use a RV door lockset and lock unless I have a better brain storm between now and then.

Too cold to do anything here just yet so this spring I will be going full throttle to get this done.
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: WARD / AMTRAN
Chassis: INTERNATIONAL
Engine: DIESEL
Rated Cap: 74
Morning all....
Have made front door of amtran solid - want to install rim/latch bolt lock with lever handle on outside, just as a latch bolt.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
TXDRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Here's what I did on my last bus: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/m...e-25399-3.html post #44 shows my door rebuild.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote