Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Entry steps

I have been thinking a lot about the steps in the front entry. My wife has some trouble getting up those steps since each rise is kinda high. I was thinking (never good) about replacing the existing 3 steps with 4 so they are more like the ones in a house, less distance for each step (rise). It would likely mean less tread but maybe an easier transition. I would also be thinking about an outside step that would be automated like some SUVs and motorhomes have.
has anyone given this any thought? Input? pictures?

HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
gave it thought. i built 3 steps in the stairwell, giving 4 steps total. it sure helped! BUT, the bottom tread had to be slightly narrowed for the door to shut. i dont like that because it could cause a fall. the stairwell needs to be removed, cut a few inches from the cab floor and then build another stairwell/stair. i also built a 2 stair step to put on the ground when parked, it nests on the stairs while traveling. another mistake is i made it too narrow. another area for fall hazard. make steps as wide as possible.

when i can, i will revise. i will cut the old stairs completely out, build stairs from metal, and make the well a storage area for tools, batteries, etc. a double accordion step will go under the bus like rv's have.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote