Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Need bus-as-home over RV
Chassis: still looking
Ever park in an RV park? Any problems w/homebrew RV's?

Self explanatory... post your experiences.

I've heard that some parks discriminate against homemade RV's, or specifically against "School bus conversions" because of a "hippie stigma" or something like that, but that is just the word of commercially made RV's so i'm wondering if there's truth to it.

I'm wondering whether it will be possible to use a conventional RV park if it either looks like a school bus or shows signs of being used as a school bus (even if it's not a dognose)

nearhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Ever park in an RV park? Any problems w/homebrew RV's?

I suppose that depends on where you are going, I took mine to Ocean Waves Campground in Cape Hatteras last month, no issues there at all. And it seemed to be more of an attraction rather than an eye sore. I was there 3 days, and was located up near the beach so everyone going to the beach had to walk past my rig. Everyone was looking at it, several people stopped to ask me about, and I gave the nickel tour to about a dozen or so people. It went over very well actually.

The second day I was there another one came in, though this one was professionally built it didn't seem to look that dis-similar to mine (they came over and took a look at mine too).

I also had this at another place that did little more than get a lot of attention. Everyone at the park wanted a look inside. So far I have had no problems...

So far I have not had any issues, all of it has been great. I'm sure there are places out there that would turn me away, such as Outdoor Resorts which have restrictions on types of units they allow. Most campgrounds are glad to take your money and don't care what you camp in. I noticed some people camping in horse trailer one year down at Ocean Waves Campground. State Parks etc won't care either, and though I haven't tried it yet, I don't think I'll have any problems at Army Corp of Engineer campgrounds either (those places are the nicest campgrounds too)...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

Year: 1990
Chassis: P30
Engine: Chevy 350- GAS
Just happened to me this morning. We were turned away from an RV park in Tampa, FL because we are in a SKooLie. I really don't know if it is common, though. First time we have tried to use an RV park.
SKooliWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKooliWAG View Post
Just happened to me this morning. We were turned away from an RV park in Tampa, FL because we are in a SKooLie. I really don't know if it is common, though. First time we have tried to use an RV park.
From what I've heard its rather common. The nicer the park, the more likely one is to be turned away I'd imagine.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Since your first post saying that you just got your bus only three days ago, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that it actually is, and still looks like a school bus. I'm not surprised you got turned away, especially if it is some higher priced campground. Many of those even have age requirements, have to keep out the riff raff you know. I tend to stay in state parks, only a couple of campgrounds. The question has never come up.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #6

Thanks, state parks are solid advice! Have you stayed at one for more than 14 days? We are actually looking for a place to stay for a month or two while I start graduate school at USF.

and Yes, the bus is indeed yellow right now. I was trying to make a reservation for the future (August) though, and at that point the bus will be painted something lovely...doesn't sound like it would have mattered, though. (P.S. this RV park is not too swanky )
Old 06-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #7

Yeah, I'm starting to see that this may be a challenge for us. We need a place to stay for a month or two when we get to Tampa, and we are encountering lots of age restrictions and now Skoolie discrimination...damn the man!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #8

Thanks for the info! Your rig looks enviable!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping View Post
I don't think I'll have any problems at Army Corp of Engineer campgrounds either (those places are the nicest campgrounds too)...
We stayed at a Corps of Engineers campground last weekend in our bus.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
The hoity-toity RV parks that are against skoolies are all way overpriced anyway. And it is my understanding that KOA also has a "no skoolies allowed" policy as well as most of the fancier places. The state & national parks as well as the Corp of Engineers parks are quieter and prettier too. Lots of options besides snotty RV parks.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
We typically stay in state parks, but successfully infiltrated the Jellystone park near Niagara Falls with no objections.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Thanks, state parks are solid advice! Have you stayed at one for more than 14 days? We are actually looking for a place to stay for a month or two while I start graduate school at USF.

and Yes, the bus is indeed yellow right now. I was trying to make a reservation for the future (August) though, and at that point the bus will be painted something lovely...doesn't sound like it would have mattered, though. (P.S. this RV park is not too swanky )
Hi!

What are you studying? I see your'e in Nevada? Was just wondering what program had you coming all the way to my neck of the woods.
YMIHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I spent almost seven years on the road in my Eagle 10 conversion. It didn't have the "homebrew" look. Roof was raised 8" and resided with a single sheet of 12ga steel on each side. RV windows & professional paint. Custom cabinets, ceramic tile floors and so on......

The fresh conversion looked almost like a brand new bus.

While traveling the SW states I found numerous RV parks that would not allow me to stay because the shell used in the conversion was over 10 years old. When making a reservation or trying to check in they would ask for the make & year of my rig. The fact that my rig was better looking than most of what was already parked there they would not let me stay because of the year of my coach.

I have found quite a number of RV parks that discriminate on age and weight. "Your rig is too old and your dog is too fat. Go away!".
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
...While traveling the SW states I found numerous RV parks that would not allow me to stay because the shell used in the conversion was over 10 years old. When making a reservation or trying to check in they would ask for the make & year of my rig....
If you did a specially-constructed vehicle, you could use the date of title change as the date of manufacture, I should think. The Bluebird model year, for example, is the year of the changes they made to the rolling truck chassis, which might have been older. It's stretching it a bit, perhaps, but the underlying question is answered: "Will you benefit or hurt our RV park if we let you in?"
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
same problem happens for those with mobile homes too.. friend of mine has a really nice mobile home that he has kept beautiful however the neighborhood where his park is, has really gone bad quickly.. so he figured pump up the tires and move the trailer out... everything went great except that NO ONE would take a mobile home older than 10 years even though some in the park already were 20+ and looked to show their age.. his is 11 and looks better than some of the new ones...

seems that has been common preactice in mobile home parks for some-time.. sounds like campgrounds and RV parks are the same way..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
The hoity-toity RV parks that are against skoolies are all way overpriced anyway. And it is my understanding that KOA also has a "no skoolies allowed" policy as well as most of the fancier places. The state & national parks as well as the Corp of Engineers parks are quieter and prettier too. Lots of options besides snotty RV parks.
KOA #1 is here in Billings, MT. I tried to park there shortly after I acquired Brunhilde. The "season" here is only about 9 months long and this KOA quoted a price of $1200 (approx.) for 3 weeks. But, I spoke with no one. I only got a recorded message.

The biggest obstacles I ran across were:
  1. Older than 10 years
  2. Skoolie

Apparently, my money isn't good enough for these "RV parks."
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
we stayed in lots of rv parks here in Canada , and went to Wisconsin Deils no problems , but then the economy tanked, to I think they where just happy to get are money. Now we are concentrating on boon docking and not giving anyone our money for as long as we can.
gbstewart
Old 06-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Quote:

I attend USF and live in my skoolie near there lol small world
Old 06-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 97
Chassis: BadMuthaFuka
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: All of us
we have definitely found even while making phone reservations for upcoming trip that rv parks and skoolies are hit or miss thing. the ones that don't dig my rig can pound sand any how!
Old 06-05-2016, 09:46 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
For the record...KOA Sucks!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote