Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
I have purchased Traffic MASTER (Internet #205507857) 12 ft wide vinyl sheet. It was not paper backed. The glue I used was Robert 2001 1 qt felt-back sheet vinyl glue adhesive, superior grade. That was what was recommended on the Home Depot website.

Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Just an FYI, we received a few CORETec 'original' samples last week. They looked really nice, both inside and out. They were WPC (wood plastic composite). If were weren't expecting such temp extremes we'd probably have gone with that. As it is it may still be suitable - it is warrantied to 140F - but we want to minimize our chances of failure as much as possible.

Yesterday we went to a showroom to check out the CORETec 'Pro' line, which are SPC (stone polymer composite). They looked awesome as well, and from my research, SPC construction (which can be had in other brands as well), appears to be the best bet for dimensional stability across wide temp ranges. Less give so less comfort, I understand, but that's not a big concern.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:35 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
What is up with random old threads suddenly showing up in the recent threads list?
Old 05-25-2021, 06:31 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
It's generally considered better to start a new thread rather than resurrect an old one from the dead. Reference the old thread in the new one if it's helpful.

I don't think the shaking is that big of a deal for the floor. The bigger problem is heat expansion. Both are difficult to get right in an RV, but vinyl is a little more forgiving than the planks.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:17 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
What is up with random old threads suddenly showing up in the recent threads list?
Aha, I see what happened here: new user Reynadame made a post here but it didn't get shown until they verified the account, but this thread showed up in the recent threads list on May 20th anyway. Makes it seem like an old thread is getting bumped for no reason.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:37 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Aha, I see what happened here: new user Reynadame made a post here but it didn't get shown until they verified the account, but this thread showed up in the recent threads list on May 20th anyway. Makes it seem like an old thread is getting bumped for no reason.
Close… but you missed the part about our dear now-banned friend being a spammer.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:39 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarweasel View Post
Close… but you missed the part about our dear now-banned friend being a spammer.
Thank you for your service!
Old 09-11-2021, 03:49 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
I'm resurrecting this old thread, but unlike that other guy, I'm not a spammer!
I was going to start a fresh thread, but when I came up with a suitable thread title I realized that it was almost word-for-word the same as this one. My thrifty compulsions won't allow me to have a shiny new thread when a perfectly serviceable (but somewhat tarnished) old thread is available.

So the question is, has anybody gained any real-world experience with the 'new' rigid core vinyl plank flooring options in the past two years? According to the manufacturers, WPC and SPC are both dimensionally stable at extreme temperatures, waterproof, stiffer, and generally better for bus-like conditions than the standard luxury vinyl planks. HubbardBus, did you end up installing the CoreTec SPC? Or has anybody installed one of the many WPC options? Like the OP, I'm worried about temperature changes making my floor warp upwards in the summer or the seams open up in the winter.

Based on manufacturer claims, I'm seriously considering SUPERCore from WeShipFloors.com (Link to manufacturer description). It's an SPC (Stone Plastic/Polymer Composite) vinyl plank that they claim is warrantied for installations between -30° and 155° F. That seems almost unbelievable, so I'm hoping one of you out there has tried this or a similar product out already and seen how it behaves as temps change.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:45 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Tejon7, I respect and appreciate your efficient use of recycled electrons in this thread revival. And I'm really interested, too. We tried the LVP planks and they just had too much expansion and contraction in the wild temp swings we can get in Northern AZ. So, I'm curious about this new stuff too.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Haha, I must have been researching solar a bit too heavily lately - the term "recycled electrons" got me all sorts of excited

I've heard too many stories like yours about LVP expanding and contracting to even consider it. It's too bad, because it really seems good for a bus on paper - cheap, good looking, waterproof, etc. I really hope somebody can renew my faith in low-cost, easily installed vinyl planks by sharing their experience with SPC flooring. Something along the lines of "I summer in Quartzite and winter on the North Slope of Alaska and my SPC flooring hasn't budged" would be great
Old 09-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Just received my 5 free samples of the SUPERCore SPC vinyl flooring and we really like the look and feel. The 80% limestone composite core makes it almost feel more like a tile than vinyl plank. It's much much stiffer and noticeably heavier. Once we choose a pattern, I think we're going to go for it and hope that it's expansion/contraction is as advertised. Currently I'm thinking we'll try to follow the install instructions as much as possible - leave the floor floating, install it around (instead of under) all cabinets, seats, etc., and leave a small expansion gap on the perimeter that's caulked or covered with trim.

Like most of my projects, I'm putting the cart waaaay before the horse. Hopefully this stuff will be installed in a year, then I'll leave feedback about the expansion properties two or three years from now
Old 09-17-2021, 05:47 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
Just received my 5 free samples of the SUPERCore SPC vinyl flooring and we really like the look and feel. The 80% limestone composite core makes it almost feel more like a tile than vinyl plank. It's much much stiffer and noticeably heavier. Once we choose a pattern, I think we're going to go for it and hope that it's expansion/contraction is as advertised. Currently I'm thinking we'll try to follow the install instructions as much as possible - leave the floor floating, install it around (instead of under) all cabinets, seats, etc., and leave a small expansion gap on the perimeter that's caulked or covered with trim.

Like most of my projects, I'm putting the cart waaaay before the horse. Hopefully this stuff will be installed in a year, then I'll leave feedback about the expansion properties two or three years from now
Straight from the Supercore installation instructions:
Although acclimation is not specifically required, best installation practice recommends that the product be installed close to intended occupied service temperature, generally a target of 70° F (21°C), but at least between 55°F (13°C) and 100°F (38°C).

So a little weasel-wordy, but the meaning is clear: this stuff shrinks and expands a lot.

The risk is that you'll see gaps around edges of the flooring, or separation of the planks if things are secured on top of it.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #33
Bus Nut

All the vinyl plank install instructions have a variation of this wording. The LVP ones I've read usually require that the flooring acclimates to the room for a while before installation. After installation the room must never go outside of a crazy-small temperature range. Sometimes the acceptable temp range for LVP is as narrow as 65°-85° F.

The rigid vinyl plank install instructions, both WPC and SPC varieties, generally have less alarming wording and much larger after-installation temperature ratings. The SUPERCore instructions you found are just saying that while acclimation isn't technically required, it's probably still a good idea to install it at "room temp". I've verified that -30° to 155° F are indeed the temps that the manufacturer claims the flooring can handle after install.

I'm sure you're right and this stuff must expand and contract to some degree. Unfortunately, there's very little information available outside of manufacturer claims. I think I'm going to dive in anyway and be a guinea pig, unless TheHubbardBus or others who've used SPC see this thread and talk me out of it. Here's the very tenuous evidence that makes me hopeful it'll work:

I found ONE fellow who installed SPC flooring in his Airstream a few years ago. This was the only RV review I've found - all other reviews were from houses. This guy installed his flooring at 40° F and saw no perceptible change at 100° F. He was also curious/skeptical about the manufacturers temperature claims, so he didn't leave an expansion gap so that he could really test them.

I have found no reviews with people complaining about gaps or bulges in their SPC/WPC rigid plank flooring. This is, admittedly, not very good evidence that it performs well, since the rigid planks have only been widely available for a few years. Perhaps they haven't been really tested yet? Or maybe I'm just bad at Googling?

And finally my last and worst bit of evidence: It FEELS like it shouldn't expand much I honestly think the "vinyl" in the name is almost misleading, because the innards of these look and feel like they're closer to composite quartz sink material than the luxury vinyl planks. I know... this is a dumb reason, but I don't have a lot to go on.

Oh, and my last last bit of info is my installation area itself. The square footage in my bus is pretty small, and is naturally subdivided further by my mid-bus engine hatch. The largest horizontal run will be 15' of mostly hallway and there will only be one 4' section where the flooring extends across the full width of the bus. The flooring will go in absolutely last and won't be pinched underneath anything. I think with small expansion gaps around the edges, even if it does expand and contract a bit it'll be fine.

So in summary: I'm a sucker who believes the manufacturer claims . But only this time, and only because I have no choice! I promise to report back if it's an utter failure.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
You could use tree slices like I am. Very long lasting and temperature ressistant, buy finished or finish yourself with spar varnish.
Attached Thumbnails
FE1F5E28-2AD6-4A03-9EFD-ABA55A94286A.jpeg  
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:42 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
unless TheHubbardBus or others who've used SPC see this thread and talk me out of it.
TheHubbardBus has left the building.
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...bus-29607.html
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #36
Bus Nut

That's g-danged beautiful. Tree slices, you say? Never heard of 'em

Real wood is my second choice. There are a lot of pro/cons to weigh, with the biggest plus for wood being that it can look absolutely gorgeous like yours. But the main reason that man-made is option #1 at this point is because I see it as a quicker install. I'm 18 months into the build right now, and starting to get itchy feet. At this point I'm jumping on any product/method/tool that will reduce the build time and get me out on the road!
Old 09-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #37
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
TheHubbardBus has left the building.
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...bus-29607.html
Ah, that's too bad. Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:53 AM   #38
Bus Nut

Oh yeah I remember now.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:10 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Why has Hubbard left ?
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #40
Bus Nut

He was one of the ones who was poisoned by that covid thread. he lost someone and people were insensitive.