Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Skoolie

experiences with a rusty fuel tank

So i got two perfectly sized 75 gal fuel tanks i want to add but they had been sitting so long the fuel is varnished down low and what was exposed is rusty with a good amount of scale.

the only access into the tank to work thru would be the fuel inlet. does anyone have any experiences with getting these clean. maybe a truck shop would sandblast and recoat the inside thru the hole?

someone told me to put sharp rocks in and roll it around but its huge and rectangular so i don't thinking that will be anything less than damaging exhausting and ineffective due to obtrusiveness.

adamanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: experiences with a rusty fuel tank

one of 2 things-there is a process that the rad shop does that recoats the tank inside but it is pricey you can buy a kit and do it yourself or have a shop do it. usually it costs the same or just less than a new tank.i have a lot of old cars and have had this problem many times before my answer is option 2-chuck the tank and start again. save the greif cause there is lots of it once that crap starts gettin in the carb,pump,lines,carb,side of the road rolling around sucking on fuel lines,tow truck, and so on and so on.yes ive had all of this and i will not go back there.
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote