Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Extended run rig for Honda EU2000i genny

We had a big windstorm here in Michigan and lost power for a day so our little Honda EU2000i generator got a good workout powering our home furnace, refrigerator, TV and sump pump. We’re glad we had it around since yesterday’s lows were in the single digits. Since I had it out I thought I’d show some pics of our cheapie extended run setup.

To build an extended run rig, I picked up a used Honda gas cap, took out the vent parts then drilled and tapped the cap for a ¼” barb hose fitting. I also got 6 feet of ¼” transparent gas line and a small piece of clear tubing that fits over the gas can vent. All told I think I spent $30 bucks. You can buy aftermarket extended run gas caps for about $35 bucks but you still have to buy the hose and a barb fitting.

To use the kit, I first fill the generator tank pretty full but it doesn’t have to be to the brim. Next, the cap goes on but not snugged down tight just yet.

The other end of the fuel line gets stuffed down the fill spout of my 5 gallon gas can. I push it in far enough so it reaches the bottom of the can.

Now the short piece of clear tubing gets pressed over the gas can vent thingy.

The Honda gennys have fuel pumps in them so the gas can doesn’t have to be elevated. To fill the fuel line and top off the genny’s tank I blow air into the clear tubing on the gas can vent and since the genny's gas cap isn’t on tight the extra air in the tube will vent out the cap and fuel will flow into the genny’s tank. Sometimes a bit of fuel leaks out the cap while I'm priming it but I usually snug it down as soon as I see fuel flowing into the genny’s tank and no fuel gets slopped. If there’s a bit of air left in the tank the fuel pump will still draw fuel out of the gas can.

Now you’ve got 6 gallons of gas, which even at full throttle should last a day or so. In ECO Mode maybe 3 days depending on the load.

When getting ready to shut it down I unscrew the gas can fill spout, pull the tube out of the can and hold it up to let the genny draw the fuel in the line into the tank. If I unscrew the genny tank cap without draining the line, fuel will siphon out of the gas can and soak my new xmas sheepskin slippers. Boo, Hiss.

I love our Honda. It’s very well designed and built, very quiet and easy on the gas. We used about 2 1/2 gallons of gas for nearly a day’s use on ECO Mode (which lets the genny adjust it’s speed to match the load). All-in all, the little buggers are lifesavers.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Extended run rig for Honda EU2000i genny

Very clever idea.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

You can also buy a marine fuel line with a hand squeezy thing that primes the line. That what we used on the POS Onan in the Class C. I didn't like the idea of the generator using fuel from the main tank. By using a portable "boat tank" we could keep better track of how much fuel the generator used. We bought both tank & hand pump fuel line from the "boat" section at Wal-Mart. Probably costs more. Not every one is fond of "gasoline breath". And then there is the danger of sneezing, coughing or a sudden case of the hiccups!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Not MY idea but I'd seen some extended run kits with an external tank, cap, tubing and a primer bulb for $175 bucks. I wanted the extra capacity but DID NOT want to spend anywhere that much. The cap and tubing were easy but getting the tubing primed without popping for a primer bulb was a problem. I tried tipping the gas can forward to get gas in the tube but pretty much only succeeded in getting gas all over the place. In the end I tried blowing in the gas can vent and that worked but gave me gasoline breath. Adding the tubing to the vent let me prime tubing without tasting gas.

Lorna - come on, tell us what you REALLY think of Onan generators
Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

fuel bulbs are good even in the diesel line, like i had in my last two 8v71's... helps when changing filters and so on. In my bus, i have a 25 gallon gas tank hooked up to my onan generator, and it will last a week if i dont use it too many hrs a day, but i only use it if i have no electricity, or am on the road traveling and need the house batteries charged for the inverter.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711
Lorna - come on, tell us what you REALLY think of Onan generators
I've heard two things when it comes to Onans. Either the owner has never has a problem with theirs and they love it or the owner has had nothing but problems of some sort and they would like to beat the Onan repair folks with a baseball bat... and then do some real damage once they get worked up.

David & I feel we were lied to from the start and the Onan Authorized Dealer/Service deliberately made sure our generator was in pieces when we went to pick it up (after they had it for over a week) so they could sell us an identical generator (the one they tried to sell us when we first dragged the old generator in).

We will most likely put an LP generator in the bus. We don't run a generator very often. That makes an LP generator perfect for us. We will have several 20#/BBQ LP tanks tied together on a manifold as part of our standard LP hookup (at least 4 maybe as many as 6... depends on how much room we have).
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

I need to say something about Onan two cylinder engines. I worked on them in the 70's while in the military. They were indestructible.

I have the same engine on my 34 year old generator. It works great.

I do not know anything about the Onan service department. It is always unfortunate when one has to deal with inept and rude people working at a service department.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
I need to say something about Onan two cylinder engines. I worked on them in the 70's while in the military. They were indestructible.

I have the same engine on my 34 year old generator. It works great.
Well we still have the Onan Microlite 2.5KWatt RV gasoline generator sitting in the shed at my daughters house.... in the same condition it was in when we picked it up at the repair shop.... pieces! We think we collected all the pieces up. Given our past experience with an Onan shop, we can't decide if we should try to find someone to put it back together or just scrap the thing. I think it would cost us too much money to put the thing back together and it may or may not work. David thinks he might be able to put it back together. At any rate, SOON, we need to make a trip back over to Socorro to collect up the last of our junk that we left at my daughter's house and get rid of anything we don't want.

BTW, the same model Onan is in the Class C. It doesn't run either! POS Onan!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Bus Geek

I loved the last sentence Lorna
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #10

Priming

You have a piece of tubing over the vent extension on the external fuel tank and you say to blow into it to prime the line to the generator....if the tubing is just put down the spout of the fuel tank, won't air just come out around the tube or do you have the tube sealed into the spout somehow?
ednsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Good point.

It doesn't take much of a puff to get gas into the fuel line but some air does leak. I used electrical tape to seal the spout to the tube at first but found that just wrapping my hand around the spout and tube was enough of a seal to get the fuel up into the tube.
roach711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #12

Will use some plumbers putty to seal the tube...

....into the spout and think that should take care of the problem. Thanks for replying quickly....have the BandS pet cock so will give it a try before we get a "Pure Michigan Winter"!
ednsandy is offline   Reply With Quote