Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
New Member
ken worley's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3
Year: 81
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: transitliner
Engine: cummins VT235 (555c.i.)
Faux Stainless Steel-Look...Possible?

Name's ken.

I have an '81 thomas transitliner which I converted about 2 years ago.(sorry no pics, lost all in a computer switch, and haven't taken new ones, yet)

I lived in the coach for a year, and all interior systems are working well.(yay.)
Now I am finally getting around to exterior finish.(Just nearing the end of about 100 hours of sanding.)

I am having trouble imagining a way to make the thomas' boxy, utilitarian bodywork look not so communist-bloc-buslike.

I am toying with the idea of attempting to paint the bottom half of the sheet metal to mimic stainless steel.
Has anyone attempted this?
Can it be done without ending up looking totally cheesy and lame?

And, if it is possible, it leads to another problem:
What color to paint the top half...

If I could use a dark color, it wouldn't be a problem.
I've seen coaches sporting S.S. under cobalt blue, or root beer brown, deep candy-glosscoat-style, and they look killer.
But I live in phoenix, az....It's gotta be a light, reflective color.(and I don't want a 3-tone, with a white roof.)
But I can't pictur a light color that might look good above a SS bottom.

I've searched all the pictures(i think) in this forum's galleries, and haven't seen a faux S.S. paint job, but maybe someone has done it, or seen it done, and could reccomend paint brand, technique, etc.

BTW, I don't have a million dollars....I can't really afford more than a few hundred for the paint itself, so the 7OZ. spray cans I've seen online for six bucks each won't work for me...I intend to use a wagner spray machine, and any tips on thinning, primer type/color, anything really, would be appreciated.
I do know the wisdom of "A good paint-job is 90% prep-work", and have that sorted, but the other 10%, the painting-experience/knowledge base, necessary to ensure an acceptable finished job is not part of my skill-set.

Thanks in advance.
ken worley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
timbuk's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: vancouver island bc
Posts: 1,028
Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: Faux Stainless Steel-Look...Possible?

i love those old impalers thats why i have one for 12 years! powder blue with ss looks good for a light color how about tremclad aluminum paint with fake painted in hardware like rivits or handles? buy a small can and give it a try thats the cheatest way i can think you mat be able to add something to the paint to enhance,then clearcoat!? oh yea my impaler is a 65 ss still got yours smitty? timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Bus Nut
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 758
Re: Faux Stainless Steel-Look...Possible?

Nice car!
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sheet steel Zephod_beeblebrox2 Conversion General Discussions 19 12-31-2014 07:55 PM
fiberglass or steel? wmkbailey Conversion General Discussions 15 09-28-2013 08:21 PM
Looking for a good cheap source for stainless frank-id Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 5 03-29-2009 11:59 PM
Stainless steel sheet over windows oldog12 Conversion General Discussions 1 10-20-2008 06:50 PM
Bedframe steel swinada Conversion General Discussions 6 11-13-2007 03:20 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.