Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2019, 08:22 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
If you want to reroute it run some tubes from the rear engine air intake across the roof and utilize the holes left over from the front 8-way flashers as front inlets!
I love this idea! I even kind of like the idea of the aesthetic of a large pipe running down the side of the roof... kinda steam punky

cleff413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Different manufacturers place their intakes in different areas. Bluebird usually puts theirs inside the engine compartment while International usually has tall shafts going towards the roof of the bus.
I have not paid much attention to the intake location until I started stripping the interior of my Bluebird. It is near the roof on the curb side.

My Eagle had the intake in the engine compartment. I drove many miles on dusty gravel roads and did not have a problem. I did remove the air filter periodically and blow it out.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:32 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: none
Coachwork: none yet
Chassis: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post

Pushers are generally considered better buses. Better weight distribution, less noise up front, less fumes up front, shorter rear overhang (less scraping on the ground), easier to work on the engine. One possible drawback is weak air flow to the radiator, but I believe that any overheating problem is primarily a matter of cooling system maintenance.

<snipped>

The engines you mention are both good, with the IH preferable. Allisons are OK, and pretty much the only game in town, unless you stumble across a manual tranny. The Allison AT545 is most common, but the MT643 is preferable. Typically, you will find the big tranny in the biggest buses.

Price and availability will be a factor. Those front engine flat fronts had their glory days a decade or two ago and are readily available. These days, most new school buses are pushers.

<snipped>
Are FEs more reliable?
I've thought about getting a FE because of possible better reliability and having more room in the back (for a possible Murphy bed). Although not having a drive shaft (for more room under the bus for tanks, batteries, storage, etc) and having an easier to access engine (w/ RE) might make me reconsider
MrJDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:05 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Not sure how a RE would be more reliable, was there a particular aspect of it you're talking about? The closest I can think of is the cooling system being more critical in a rear engine bus since you don't have the free rush of air while driving forward... But they use the same engines and trasnsmissions etc, they're just mounted differently.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: none
Coachwork: none yet
Chassis: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Not sure how a RE would be more reliable, was there a particular aspect of it you're talking about? The closest I can think of is the cooling system being more critical in a rear engine bus since you don't have the free rush of air while driving forward... But they use the same engines and trasnsmissions etc, they're just mounted differently.
Sorry. My thinking was that a FE would be more reliable because of the "free rush of air" and worry that a RE would be less reliable because of the lesser of "free rush of air". I would want a FE because I think it would be more reliable than a RE because of a possible engine cooling issue.

Is this is a non-issue to worry about?
MrJDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:26 AM   #26
Bus Geek

I wouldn't call it a negative. This is not new experience technology, we have been running engines without that free air flow for a century. Rear engine and front engine layouts have advantages and disadvantages but for me the cooling system doesn't really make the list.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
FE buses can be tight to work on, especially the ones with 8.3 Cummins or DT466.

Rear engine buses you can easily sit INSIDE the engine bay while working on them.

Just about the only advantages an FE has is a better turning radius (but then you have tail swing to watch) and more space in the back of the bus.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #28
Bus Geek

FE vs RE has a bunch of threads already, it's a popular question that has been discussed at length.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466, AT545
Rated Cap: 8 windows
if you dont mind a giant bus i think rear engine is better for sure just because of engine noise. are there any small rear engines? that would be awesome.
solleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by solleks View Post
if you dont mind a giant bus i think rear engine is better for sure just because of engine noise. are there any small rear engines? that would be awesome.
Shorter pushers are out there. My county at one time ran a bunch of them, Meathead has this one. Sadly most of them already appear have been retired and sold.

Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I've heard no internet stories of difference in reliability between the 2, I think it is a non issue and other criteria should be met to decide which is better for you. Many buy a bus due to how easy it is to work on, and then never have to work on it.

The bus above is not what I would consider a shorty @ 11 windows
Old 12-16-2019, 03:01 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post

The bus above is not what I would consider a shorty @ 11 windows
Yeah, I call these "Stumpys"
Old 12-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Addressing the transmission side of this, you will want to stay away from allison AT545s especially for mountain driving or if you tow or have a long bus, they don't have a lockup converter and suffer from heat issues. They also have no overdrive as well.
MD3060s are a much better trans though you will also find 2000 series as well. The 3060s will outlast your bus as long as you change fluid and filters every 50-75k.

I've got an RE, another advantage is the step well is a bit wider than a FE offers, like others said you can climb in to work on them, I even put a tankless water heater back there with it as well as tools. They are so much quieter so you can talk in a normal voice and yeah no stank.
IF you look hard you can get them with Cummins 8.3s or even better IH DT530s, I'd care more about the trans than the engine personally a 545 isn't going to give you half a million miles or more service, you can easily get that out of a 3060 and more.

I saw a guy on here with a IH RE a little longer than mine with that 8.7L DT530 and I got so jealous.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote