Old 09-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: international
Feeling Overwhelmed

Woke up this morning feeling really down. unfortunately I think I bit off more then I can chew Coming into this skoolie project I didn't know what to expect and how long it was going to take me . I did know that it was going to be a very big project and I knew there was no stopping me it was something that I really wanted "everybody thinks I'm crazy". I am manly doing this project by myself so everything is taking me longer . I am having the hardest times getting the ceiling off and I have "screws". When I put my screw driver to unscrew it it just clicks like if the screw is to tight to loosen, that mixed with muscle-less arms that ceiling isn't going no where. I was so cheerful and excited, but now all I can focus on is what I'm lacking knowledge, skill, muscle, tools, help . All the Youtube videos I watch everybody has friends and family, or there spouse . I just wish I would of noticed/ pay attention to those little detailed before but all I could see was an amazing skoolie that I JUST HAD TO HAVE! staying positive
Zona_The_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
some power tools have a torque adjustment... so you don't put screws too far INTO something. it acts the same coming out. ryobi has a picture of a drill bit for the full lock setting. might be worth a look.

that said. the project might be "big"... break it down into smaller chunks. even looking at every screw removed as a win.
StatTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
Keep your chin up

I have felt this way on more than one occasion. I was under the impression that my family would help but that hasn't materialized.

I keep plucking away at it and its been over a year and a half and Im about 3/4 of the way done.

Its not insurmountable, just keep plucking away and as you make small progress take pictures to remind you of how far you have come, this works for me to keep me motivated.

Also, remind yourself why your doing it in the first place. Im building mine to travel with my 4 kids, this is my drive, im doing it for them too.
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Doing is the best way to learn. Dont quit now, simply because you need time to learn and arent progressing as fast as you thought you would, "out of the gate". Sounds like youre just starting to learn what works and what doesnt, so dont throw away that knowledge youre starting to build before you have an opportunity to effectively use it

Do you snowboard? Remember how freaking impossible it seemed the first time you strapped both feet in and immediately fell over...or slid into the gully around a tree? It's like that.

The first time I lifted a truck the first front corner took me 4 hours....the second 2. Knowing how, where, when it all comes together is invaluable.

Using your roof as an example; spend an hour or 2 learning different ways to work, maybe buy some new/different tools, then once you've found the way you like best, carry on that way. It's also ok to change your mind. Just 'cause you liked doing it one way at first, doesnt mean an hour or 2 into it, you cant switch back to another method that you originally didnt like.

You need to take time to learn what's working for you and then lather, rinse, repeat. IMO hang in there. If you were serious enough to plunk down the $$$ to buy it, then reset expectations for yourself giving you time to learn, then go forward with a new approach.
lqdchkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zona_The_Bus View Post
Woke up this morning feeling really down. unfortunately I think I bit off more then I can chew Coming into this skoolie project I didn't know what to expect and how long it was going to take me . I did know that it was going to be a very big project and I knew there was no stopping me it was something that I really wanted "everybody thinks I'm crazy". I am manly doing this project by myself so everything is taking me longer . I am having the hardest times getting the ceiling off and I have "screws". When I put my screw driver to unscrew it it just clicks like if the screw is to tight to loosen, that mixed with muscle-less arms that ceiling isn't going no where. I was so cheerful and excited, but now all I can focus on is what I'm lacking knowledge, skill, muscle, tools, help . All the Youtube videos I watch everybody has friends and family, or there spouse . I just wish I would of noticed/ pay attention to those little detailed before but all I could see was an amazing skoolie that I JUST HAD TO HAVE! staying positive

ANYONE taking down a metal ceiling held in by stuck/rusted screws would get depressed. Took me a good couple weeks to get through mine. Fastest method I found: Air chisel on the screws, or inbetween the screws underneath where each panel meets. Once the chisel squeezes inbetween, yank down and rip them out! Crow bar, breaker bar.

Full demolition is soul crushingly awful. Its also the right thing to do. Commit to a number of hours per day and be patient. Use the right tools for the job. Call in a friend, or local skoolie help if you can. Maybe even hire a helper. Once its done, it is done and it will be out of your way for good.
kazetsukai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
Almost There

I went through this feeling last week... wanted to quit and sell it. But then i got some small things done and it change my whole outlook. Now I'm in the final stages of the build and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Keep at it, take breaks and walk away if you're feeling overwhelmed. you'll get there!
E450Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #7
Skoolie

Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by E450Shorty View Post
I went through this feeling last week... wanted to quit and sell it. But then i got some small things done and it change my whole outlook. Now I'm in the final stages of the build and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
I'll second this. I did a lot of staring at empty sections of the bus trying to figure out what specifically to do, because the largest time suck for any build is all of those unknowns. Once I went in, started working, things actually got finished.

We're weeks from finish. We've gone headfirst in, sewage, drainage, plumbing... done. Walls up, holes drilled, drain pipes run, PEX in, electrical finalized. Its feeling like home more and more as raw framing gets covered up and stained, cabinets form, appliances are set in place, etc. And the base is rock solid because of a rock solid, thorough, no-corners-cut demolition phase.
kazetsukai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Don't use a Phillips bit, use a #2 square drive in an impact and the screws will come out like hot butter. Any stuck screw will come out easily right after you whack it on the head with a hammer.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #9
Almost There

Yeah, look closely at the screw heads, might be square ones instead of phillips. They look very similar but its tough to get a square screw out with a phillips driver.
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
I'm doing this alone too, so I can empathize, and I'm nearly 70, so I'm not very fast, but I keep at it. I won't let the occasional bout of frustration overwhelm me and disrupt my plans.

I had rivets in my ceiling. I tried several ideas from here, but then I had the most success with grinding off the rivets with flap discs in my angle grinder.

Hitting things can help relieve frustration. If I would have had screws to deal with I would have used something like one of these devices:

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8...dp/B000NPPATS/

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-70006-3-...dp/B01F5XOFFM/
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote