Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Re: First amphibious RV bus?

why move the rear engine to the front/ just make it a 4x4 and leave the engine in the back..
i think the guys working on the real old chev busses on this site know how to do that...
me, i'm ignorant

Old 06-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: 7.4 liter 454 Chevy
Rated Cap: 24

You want to convert a bus to drive it into the water and go around like a boat?
There is a company that already does that; yet it will cost 850,000 to 1.2 MILLION dollars for the bus.
http://www.terrawind.com/
Your project idea is interesting but it is not really feasible unless you hire allot of engineers and have a huge pile of money.

It would be allot easier to find a WW2 "Duck" and make that into an "amphibious "RV"; since it is and already built for "amphibious" use already.
Bullwhacker007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwhacker007
You want to convert a bus to drive it into the water and go around like a boat?
There is a company that already does that; yet it will cost 850,000 to 1.2 MILLION dollars for the bus.
http://www.terrawind.com/
Your project idea is interesting but it is not really feasible unless you hire allot of engineers and have a huge pile of money.

It would be allot easier to find a WW2 "Duck" and make that into an "amphibious "RV"; since it is and already built for "amphibious" use already.

I was just gonna post that link...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Buy a barge and drive your bus on it and you are done! This also will allow you to use the bus on land as that might be advantageous
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

Taking the mentality of skoolie to the extreme... I like it! Looking forward to lots of pics of this project!

To answer a few of your early questions:

Yes, buses do rust. Bluebirds are a little less susceptible as their bodies are made entirely out of galvanized steel, but rust is a hurdle you will need to clear.

I believe there are some buses out there that get as long as 45 feet, but those are pretty rare. 8 Foot wide is pretty standard.

Walking on bus - most that do this as a regular activity will build a deck on top, which they tie into the window supports. My bus roof deflects a bit when walked on, but is pretty solid feeling.

Not sure what the biggest engine is on a school bus, but the most common from what I can tell is the 5.9 Cummins that I have. Its not a very big engine, but from what I understand, it is able to be modified pretty extensively to boost the output.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

ha rainbow,on the 5.9 cummins with the 12 vale pump,there no way to turn it up,most of the 5.9 12 vale have a P7100 INJECTER pump and cummins said it can't be turn up,so if u have a p71 pump, umay want to lookinto a diff pump,i belive u have a 94 like me ?? that was there pump for the early 90 models,

the marking are on the side of the pump,, bosh pump,,,,, iam not trying to be a knowall,i just worked for b/b in the 90's ,,,,

rebuild pump $1,300.00 or a juckyard fine

eng;;; cummins 8.3 or a cat 3208 chevy 8.2 internal dt466
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

@ Keith

I'm just going by what I have heard. You may have noticed by the thread that the OP does not seem too daunted by the price of the conversion. As with any engine, an appropriate response from a mechanic would be "How fast do you want to go?" followed closely by "How much are you willing to spend?"

Note: I am not the knowledgeable one, as I rely on a good friend for assistance and advice when it comes to the power plant in my bus.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

J_R

Building a bus/boat is a creative idea. It sounds like you have the skills and tools to actually do it. I think it is an ambitious undertaking.

Now, what would really be cool (in a James Bond kind of way) would be to also make the bus/boat be a bus/boat/helicopter.

Have fun with your project, and do not let anyone say that it cannot be done.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
J_R

Building a bus/boat is a creative idea. It sounds like you have the skills and tools to actually do it. I think it is an ambitious undertaking.

Now, what would really be cool (in a James Bond kind of way) would be to also make the bus/boat be a bus/boat/helicopter.

Have fun with your project, and do not let anyone say that it cannot be done.
It would look like a chinook then
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

just get a DUKW!!

Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:29 AM   #11
Skoolie

You are not very clear as to this "project".
Are you looking to "convert" a bus to cross rivers and streams?
Or to go like a boat in a lake??

Giving the amount of "converting" that would be done, very very little of the original "bus" would be left.
It would be allot more cost effective to buy a bus for the power train; because that is all you could use.

You estimate of 1.5 tons or 3000 pounds of 3/16 plate steel and other statment would not even come close to creating a hull for a "bus" of the type you mention; size and lenght. You would far surpass the $60,000.00 you state for your budget.

Now as I mentioned a WW2 "Duck would be a good platform to "convert" into a "short RV" and maybe fit into the budget you state you have.
You already have a hull and power train degsigned for "amphibious" travels. You want to get crazy cut the thing in half move it apart and construct duplicate hull in the middle; exstend the drive/prop shaft. Then build the walls and roof and construct your "RV" interior.

This is just a suggestion and what I would do in a project like this..
I have been around boats and trucks all my life. My family used to own and run a charter fishing boat steel hull and using two detroit 8v92 screamers for power and it was a large 20 ton boat.

BUT I am looking forward to pictures as others are and your progress.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

http://youtu.be/rsrDKdpcj9Q <- that terra wind rv video.

at 2:37 it has pontoons that come out the sides and that inflate. well you could make that for your bus but on a larger scale. that would give you the floating and the stability needed.

another amfibie bus video
http://youtu.be/Ou3krBRAUYw

http://youtu.be/NI2VueerU7A <-- in and out of the water

http://youtu.be/CLr-q6yJ4m0 <-- in and out and some cockpit view, not much

http://youtu.be/p3wVaFNNC1s <-- in and out

http://youtu.be/pvlGElo38G4 <-- MAKING of the amphibious buses! and cockpit view

http://youtu.be/0Ou-aYa4hAw <-- give er enough speed anything is possible

hope some links are stuff you havent seen but probably have
Old 06-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9

Hack, ,i want to be there when he put it in the water and watch it sink ,some people just have hard head, A fool and his money will soon part...
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus

If you pull it off,
VENI,VIDI, VICI.
mightybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #15
Skoolie

Yes you are belittling me.
What does power curve via hull drag and all that have to do with this subject anyway?
Are trying to make a high speed RV Bus/Boat?

For your information WW2 "Duks" are able and willing to travel like a boat; they even crossed the English channel....

Since you are and "Engineer" then you know the amount of TONNAGE in ballast YOU WILL HAVE TO ADD to keep from capsizing in the water.

Also you can't just cut the front of a bus and make a "Hull" angled nose; the vehicle "bus" frame can't take that kind of stress; Oh I forgot Your an engineer..
As myself and we all await eagerly the finished project..

So knock yourself out..
Old 06-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

oh i forgot about this youtuber "pisser" (pun on his last name) and his Suboataru. he made a subaru car into a boat. so far it hasnt sunk!

http://youtu.be/sUGfVutM1VM

and his new channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/pisserschannel
Old 06-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #17
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus

Nah, Herodotus. 'The Histories'.
Worth reading.
I'll read '1066 and all That'. "Weenie, weedy, weakie" is a
quotation from it, and was clearly meant as a joke.
There is a lot of reasons the Romans petered out. I don't think not having a zero was one of them.
mightybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #18
Bus Geek

can you post pics? even if it's a scanned napkin

I say go for it...w/o...stepping off the plank into the deep end we wouldn't have submarines,planes and helicopters...OH!!!...and the world would still be flat
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

by Stan Mott

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:21 AM   #20
Skoolie

Sorry BBBBBBWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAA...
Really ski as well? You would need a turbo shaft jet engine to develop the amount of power to move something like this that fast...
We did fantasize a bit and it could work with lots and lots of money.
Build a "amphibious" RV/BUS; but instead of sitting in the water have hydraulically controlled fore and aft hydrofoils that are flush with the side when retracted. Deploy them and when coming up to speed the "bus" would lift out of the water and ride on the hydrofoils. Allot of drag would be eliminated. Maybe you can throw this idea at the producers of the next James Bond Flick..
BUT we estimated something like this would cost in the millions to design and construct.
My uncle a marine engineer pointed out with the flat bottom at the speed you claim to be pulling a ski at when you attempt a turn you will capsize and before you do skid sideways as well. It will then catch and flip the bus upside down....
You are also top heavy again you will capsize.
Drive the front axle with a 48v forklift motor?
The rubber wheels in back you mention won't work; you ground them and you will unload the drive axles and be stuck; Oh the 48v forklift motor driving the front axle is now going to try and move around 30-40,000lbs?
RV doors?
Swim Deck on the back of a pusher bus?
Somehow sealing the engine and total redesign of the cooling system and drive train?
You would still need about 8000lbs minimum just for ballast to again try to not capsize..
The bus frame and body is not design nor strong enough to take hits from entering the water or "waves"..
An example; wave hits the front and also the windshield; unless you redesign the frame and use about 1/2 inch minimum lexan that windshield will implode inward into the bus and here comes tons of water; you go down.. You will also have to reinforce all the windows and they all will have to be water tight...
This is just some of many things you will encounter and have to overcome to TRY to make this work; but it won't be at $60,000.00
THAT is why the Terrawind "Bus" costs that much; they design and build from the ground up from scratch.
You do this make sure you are wearing scuba gear and hope you can get out when it sinks.
Decide and Go for it and I and we would like to see "real" pictures of your progress.