Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: fitting for city water?

I think you need to look at this page. It shows how most RV's are plumbed. Your plumbing should be pretty similar.
http://www.marxrv.com/plumbing/plumb.htm

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John
I'll be putting in my second tank tomorrow.... John
Don't you just love Christmas. Today I'm buying 4 sheets of that 3/4" cabinet plywood for 26 bucks from HD.

My Christmas present to me.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Bus Geek

In over 30 years of camping in campgrounds, I have NEVER run into a high water pressure. Usually really low and once it barely made it out of the pipe (I think it was scared). I also use a brass regulator on the hose bibb BEFORE my water hose as a precaution (not that I have ever needed it). You will more than likely blow your water hose apart before you damage your water system. I've heard the stories too. I've also heard about UFOs but have never seen one... that I know of (and I've been thru Roswell NM a few times). But I am still looking for a campground with decent water pressure. We run a sediment filter plus 0.5 micro water filter and that knocks the pathetic water pressure we normally encounter down to a dribble. But I'm still looking for that "High Water Pressure"!

My water connection basically is the campground hose bibb, brass water "splitter" so that I can shut the water off the supply hose AND get water from the bibb without disconnecting the hose (we used to stay in an NF campground in GA that only had 1 water pipe stand for 6 sites... we all had to "share" the same pipe and would string splitters from the hose bibb to the ground... about 30 inches), the brass pressure regulator, supply water hose, filters then into the city water connection of the RV. I've been running this exact set up since 2006 when we added the filters in. I used the setup without filters since 1987. I've yet to blow a hose or pipe.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak
... BTW who might have checkvalves I can put inline like 1/2 inch pex?
JAK
Anyplace that sells PEX should have it. You may have to ask for it.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Here is one place you can find them...
Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 AM   #6
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

I cant help but notice that since the introduction of PEX and other plastic plumbing pipe systems involving crimp rings, many water disaster clean-up companies have sprung to life. These companies seem to have really good advertising budgets too; TV, radio, the works. They wouldnt be around if there werent a need...

I like sweated copper plumbing.
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
Bus Geek

PEX, when properly installed, is better than copper, holds up to freeze/thaw cycles better and is easier to repair. I know David loves PEX. He has used it on the remodels whenever possible. A great deal of PEX failures is at the connections. You must have the right tool to make the connections. We kept our heavy duty Professional crimping tool (cost over $200, several years ago)... does two sizes of PEX (sold off the single size"cheaper" crimper that cost over $100, several years ago). The pro crimpers we have/had were not cheap and crimped the bands very well. We will be using PEX for our supply lines and PVC/ABS for our drain lines.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #8

So many things have to be taken into consideration while plumbing and I think every point has been covered here in the discussion on this topic. I am in the area where the water pressure is very low and every time has to use one or the other trick to get our work done. Here I am able to get plenty of options to tackle my problems. I will try to improve the plumbing conditions with the help of this and will let you know, how I solved my problem.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LuLu
Thanks JAK for asking this question... in the process of finishing my plumbing now too.
Question: I hear the talk about crimping PEX, but has anyone used the shark fittings? Seems pretty easy and don't need the extra tool? I know more expensive, but would love feedback on best approach.
I have used the shark bite fittings at work, and I have to say they work real good. as a matter of fact we had a pipe break on friday in one of the houses I look after (it froze) I just cut the pipe and capped it off with a shark bit cap turned water back on and all good, can still use all the fixtures in the house but 1 tap, will fix it right on monday. also used it to hook up a couple of water tanks, and one pipe in the wall that I dint want to solder. also with a little $2.00 tool U can remove the fittings and use them again. the only downside that I find is they are a bit bulky in size, other then that I thinking im useing them In my bus, they work with pex, copper. plastic pipe. If you ever had to repair anything on the road these fittings would be a plus to have. I keep a elbow, end cap, and connetor just in case.

gbstewart