Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Flashing Light Delete

I haven't seen it here, but I plan on changing all the old outlawed flashing lights to full size driving lights for better vision boondocking and better back up lights. All switched separately and aimed.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You still need to have blackout drive for when Johnny law is chasing you.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
You still need to have blackout drive for when Johnny law is chasing you.
And night vision goggles so I can high speed elude them.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:52 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I'm visualizing you going all Duke's of Hazard now. Booster rockets for jumping the creek in your bus.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I converted my rear red flashers to extra high-mount brake lights that work when I have my fog lights switched on. Boy, are they bright! My thinking is that when it's foggy or heavily raining I want anybody behind me to see me as far away as possible - I can take care of what's ahead of me, but the idiots behind me concern me far more.

For extra reversing lights I have a pair of Pilot floodlights mounted under the rear bumper, and these come on when the four docking lights are switched on. With these rear floodlights on, the view from the rearview camera is just like it's daytime!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
I converted my rear red flashers to extra high-mount brake lights that work when I have my fog lights switched on. Boy, are they bright! My thinking is that when it's foggy or heavily raining I want anybody behind me to see me as far away as possible - I can take care of what's ahead of me, but the idiots behind me concern me far more.

John
I plan on doing the same at the back.

Swapping the positions so that the amber lights are outside the red, then linking them to the stop.tail.turn signals.

I will probably add a couple of Whelen TIR3 LEDs for use in fog and severe spray, and I'm keeping the strobe.

I have no idea how legal any of that is, but if I am on an interstae and it's foggy, or raining heavily, I want to be seen.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:16 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I'm visualizing you going all Duke's of Hazard now. Booster rockets for jumping the creek in your bus.
My brother was a set designer on that show. So I know the visual.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:15 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
I can't speak for the legalities elsewhere, but here (NH) you can't have the "bus" flash pattern and you can't have red on the front.

My solution: change ALL lenses to amber, and remove bus flasher. Then I removed all of the sealed beams and put LED strobes behind the lenses. (I use my bus for emergency roadside service)

Assuming your state has similar rules, you could do the same, but wire the sealed beams for constant operation. The yellow lenses would offer a "soft" pleasing glow to your illumination? Or, put "KC" style covers over the sealed beams and remove as needed...

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I haven't seen it here, but I plan on changing all the old outlawed flashing lights to full size driving lights for better vision boondocking and better back up lights. All switched separately and aimed.
§ 40-8-22. Headlights

(a) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor driven cycle shall be equipped with at least two but not more than four headlights, with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle. Headlights shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this article.

(c) Every headlight upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle and motor driven cycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the headlight of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches.

§ 40-8-23. Taillights

(c) Every taillight upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 60 inches nor less than 20 inches.

§ 40-8-24. Reflectors

(b) Every such reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than 20 inches nor more than 60 inches measured as set forth in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-21 and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within 300 feet to 50 feet from the rear of such vehicle except that visibility from the greater distance is hereinafter required of reflectors on certain types of vehicles.

(c) When operated, towed, or parked upon a highway, roadway, or street at any time, every trailer and semitrailer which would otherwise be exempt from this article as an implement of husbandry under Code Section 40-8-1 shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the taillights or separately, two red reflectors and shall carry on the front two red reflectors. The reflectors carried on the rear shall meet the requirements of subsection (b) of this Code section. The reflectors carried on the front of such trailer or semitrailer shall be mounted thereon at a height of not less than 20 inches nor more than 60 inches measured as set forth in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-21 and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within 300 feet to 50 feet from the front of such trailer or semitrailer.

If there is any lighting regulation your curious about, let me know... Being part of the "tuner" crowd I've had to do my fair share of "fix-it tickets" related to lighting and know this stuff pretty good. I may have missed a little bit of what you're trying to do in the sighted regulations, but if I did feel free to bring it up and I'll answer to the best of my ability
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #10
Bus Geek

As long as my high lights are separately switched from the head lights they would not be considered "head lights", nor would the back up lights be considered "head lights"
Old 02-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #11
Almost There

Quote:
As long as my high lights are separately switched from the head lights they would not be considered "head lights", nor would the back up lights be considered "head lights"

regardless of if they are wired separately from the headlight circuit, if you have a set of KC's (for example) in the high mount position and use them while your going down the road the fuzz could ticket you for it.... its highly unlikely, but possible

as for the rear, you can pretty much do whatever you want as long as they don't flash, and they aren't projecting white light during travel.

even the strobe on the roof can be kept and legally used if/when you are towing something.
Yuuyia_Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
Quote:
Yes.

Plus, every state (and even a lot of individual towns/cities) have specific rules above and beyond federal regulations, and some that are more lax than federal (lighting sanctuary cities [emoji57])

My advice is towards the technical aspects more than the legal. Just added a disclaimer...

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I moved my amber lenses to the front and my red lenses to the back. I disabled the actual lights, so they're just pretty round reflectors now. The strobe on top was removed and its wiring turned into power for my back up camera. So far so good!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #14
Bus Geek

I'm always cringing when hearing how people pull out any extra wiring, rather than reuse it for something else like that backup camera. If weight is that critical I should be dumping my fresh water before making a trip to town.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I found some 7" round clear LED replacements to replace them through OPTRONICS .
Hard wired so no special plug required.
The backs for backup lighting and the fronts for extra lighting when in a campground trying to get situated or something like that.
NC law is strict about the height and spacing of any extra headlight/running lights and it's more like it can't be higher than 5' above ground level and has to be within 16"s of each corner of the front of the vehicle.
Some of these new light bars people are using are questionable but they still run them.

I have the OPTRONICS part number if you are interested. Oriellys is my local source but I had to walk in and say let me see your book on lights and find what I wanted myself
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuyia_Takahashi View Post
§ 40-8-22. Headlights

(a) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor driven cycle shall be equipped with at least two but not more than four headlights, with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle. Headlights shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this article.

(c) Every headlight upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle and motor driven cycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the headlight of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches.

§ 40-8-23. Taillights

(c) Every taillight upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 60 inches nor less than 20 inches.

§ 40-8-24. Reflectors

(b) Every such reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than 20 inches nor more than 60 inches measured as set forth in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-21 and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within 300 feet to 50 feet from the rear of such vehicle except that visibility from the greater distance is hereinafter required of reflectors on certain types of vehicles.

(c) When operated, towed, or parked upon a highway, roadway, or street at any time, every trailer and semitrailer which would otherwise be exempt from this article as an implement of husbandry under Code Section 40-8-1 shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the taillights or separately, two red reflectors and shall carry on the front two red reflectors. The reflectors carried on the rear shall meet the requirements of subsection (b) of this Code section. The reflectors carried on the front of such trailer or semitrailer shall be mounted thereon at a height of not less than 20 inches nor more than 60 inches measured as set forth in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-21 and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within 300 feet to 50 feet from the front of such trailer or semitrailer.

If there is any lighting regulation your curious about, let me know... Being part of the "tuner" crowd I've had to do my fair share of "fix-it tickets" related to lighting and know this stuff pretty good. I may have missed a little bit of what you're trying to do in the sighted regulations, but if I did feel free to bring it up and I'll answer to the best of my ability
Can I just disable the red and amber flashers? Or do I have to completely remove them from the outside of the bus? I have no intention of repressing the function for something else as in above posts.
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:54 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
alot of people just paint them black and forget about them.
disconnect the switch in the control panel and repurpose it and or just its power wire.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #18
Almost There

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Shorty 6 window handicap
Engine: Int 444e
Rated Cap: 21
I just deleted them...
Attached Thumbnails
20200401_170059.jpg   20200410_174435.jpg  
kcblkeeley is offline   Reply With Quote