Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 72
Flashing light removal...

O.K., getting ready to remove the overhead red and yellow lights,would like to patch the holes and finish it off smooth,any photos or tips on what has been done,or shouldn't be done? Thinking about welding a patch from the inside,then grinding and painting.

Funkpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Re: Flashing light removal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkpirate
O.K., getting ready to remove the overhead red and yellow lights,would like to patch the holes and finish it off smooth,any photos or tips on what has been done,or shouldn't be done? Thinking about welding a patch from the inside,then grinding and painting.
That is exactly what I did. I intalled a standard RV vent in the roof and used the metal that I cut out to cover my light holes. I welded them to the inside of the front/rear cap and then used fiberglass reinforced body filler to smooth it all in. I haven't finished the final puttying, but it is close and worked well. Can hardly tell there were ever any lights there.

Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1072.JPG   DSCN1174.JPG   DSCN1187.JPG  
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 72

Thanks for the photos,sometimes I overthink things..........
Funkpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: ?
Engine: ?
Rated Cap: 67

Has anybody used the light connections for flood lighting or some other use? Seems like a waste to just cover a valid electrical connection with bondo and paint.

Craig
cdemaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdemaris
Has anybody used the light connections for flood lighting or some other use? Seems like a waste to just cover a valid electrical connection with bondo and paint.

Craig
I pulled the wire out to reuse elsewhere. It is some nice thick 12 gauge wire going to those lights. Too bad it is ALL green wires. No color coding at all on my bus.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdemaris

Craig
I pulled the wire out to reuse elsewhere. It is some nice thick 12 gauge wire going to those lights. Too bad it is ALL green wires. No color coding at all on my bus.
What? No way it was 12 gauge wire! I would bet it was 16 gauge, max. Are you sure?

And you could use the opening for a spot, maybe, but it's probably not worth it. I think I saw once on someone's bus they covered the hole with Lexan, and put a spot behind it, but the light wasn't that useful. Besides, it would require different wiring, as the wire that's there is not really up to the task of any powerful lights.

I have started the welding/filling process on our bus as well. Looks pretty much as shown above. Some people will just glue a patch on, or rivet it, or screw it on. All depends on what you can live with, it's your ride after all. I have material from where I am cutting in the under belly storage hatches. Just had to remove all the undercoating before welding, because it catches on fire if you don't. Oops. Smelly too.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
What? No way it was 12 gauge wire! I would bet it was 16 gauge, max. Are you sure?
Absolutely. I am sure it is 12 gauge. And it sure had come in handy wiring up things like my trailer plug, which I just realized I haven't finished yet.