Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3 Allison MD3060
Flat ceiling question, concept.

So I have been thinking about my conversion I am getting ready to start and have a question.

I like a flat ceiling like a home would have in it. I am not overly fond of the roundish ceilings in the skoolies. I have search for other options and have found where people have taken the entire roof off, which I wouldn't want to do. I like the structural integrity of the roof, so that's not an option.

But....

Suppose I did a roof raise enough that the side walls were at my desired height of my ceiling and then I could span across from side to side with a flat roof. and still have my ceiling height.

This would also allow me to be creative with the Fantastic vents or sky lights I put in. It would also allow me a place to run a race way for wiring that may need to run front to back.

Has anyone done such a thing? Anything I am missing that makes this a bad idea?

JamieJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
Besides finding a bus with a "not so round" roof (they exist, aside from city busses even) roof raise sounds like an alternative solution...

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennysTire View Post
Besides finding a bus with a "not so round" roof (they exist, aside from city busses even) roof raise sounds like an alternative solution...

Well I will be doing a roof raise, but I am wondering is there anything I am missing.. Do the roof raise... Raise it enough to still have a 6.5 clearance on the side walls and then just do a flat ceiling across from side to side.

I am wondering will the vibrations and moving the bus affect a flat ceiling, that a roundish ceiling wouldn't have problems with...

My mind races with ideas, some good... some eh... lol
Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
There have been a few folks here and elsewhere that have gone the flat roof route. Seems to work fine once you add some headroom plus it leaves space for electric & ducting, etc..
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...99&acctid=5213

heres you a bus. flat roof (way more than most), tall windows so should be about 77-78" height i believe. no roof raise needed

edit- just noticed you already own a bus. may bad!
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:54 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...99&acctid=5213

heres you a bus. flat roof (way more than most), tall windows so should be about 77-78" height i believe. no roof raise needed

edit- just noticed you already own a bus. may bad!
That bus has a 77" ceiling with an AT545 transmission

(I looked it up)

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:28 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
That bus has a 77" ceiling with an AT545 transmission

(I looked it up)
I own this exact model bus. (That's why I said there's school busses with not-so-round roofs[emoji6])
It is also made in a transit/shuttle with the same chassis and body shape.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Nat_ster's build thread was interrupted mid way but I think it went far enough to show a good idea for a flat ceiling.

I have had a similar thought. I am not sure if I want to raise the roof that much though. Still undecided.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Or you could buy a box truck.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Or you could buy a box truck.
Maybe it was a dream (I haven't slept much lately) but I swore I just recently saw someone debating on how to put a 40' box Trailer onto a bus frame. I'm trying to picture it, I think it would look neat seeing a full-sized bus as a cutaway...

Old 02-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #11
Bus Geek

I was fantasizing about the rullup backdoor on the trailer box being on the bus. Just keeping the cab portion of the bus sure would take a lot of the work out of the process. I didn't respond on that thread because if you're going to attach something else onto a bus body, why not attach a trailer home? Skip to the end.

Some ideas are good in theory, but would also draw much more attention than I'd care for. I like this metal shell, as limbs slide right down the length of my bus. Do you know what that would do to a RV? I could have bought several RVs compared to what I've got invested in this bus, but they wouldn't have lasted. I still want a rollup back door like that through.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
The only thing that would limit your raise height to allow enough headroom for a flat ceiling would be (including any roof top accessories)the total road clearance height for underpasses,red lights,electrical cable etc...
I think? The standard is 13' or 13'6? If I remember it is 13'6" and I just keep 13' in my head for a safety cushion.
I remember when an excavator on a trailer got wedge under a bridge in Raleigh in the 90's? It wasn't a pretty sight? those drivers are usually spot on but this guy had problems after his truck suddenly stopped doing 70 mph.
Check your roof height and what AC or whatever you want on the roof measurements added in and see how much wiggle room you have to play with and that will tell you how much raise you can safely do.
NCDOT has it all on there website now. It's time consuming to find it but well worth the knowledge.
Just food for thought
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I was fantasizing about the rullup backdoor on the trailer box being on the bus. Just keeping the cab portion of the bus sure would take a lot of the work out of the process. I didn't respond on that thread because if you're going to attach something else onto a bus body, why not attach a trailer home? Skip to the end.

Some ideas are good in theory, but would also draw much more attention than I'd care for. I like this metal shell, as limbs slide right down the length of my bus. Do you know what that would do to a RV? I could have bought several RVs compared to what I've got invested in this bus, but they wouldn't have lasted. I still want a rollup back door like that through.
Overhead door company custom builds roll up doors with free install.
Or at least on the many buildings I have done with them.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Overhead door company custom builds roll up doors with free install.
Or at least on the many buildings I have done with them.
I had debated on putting something like this...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CSSV6Y0..._OumJAbGBVEV1N
...on the back of my bus so I could back up to loading docks to pick up my tires. (A swinging door that doesn't swing 180° SUCKS at loading docks)

Ultimately I scrapped the idea in favor of twin center-out sliding doors in place of the swing out. I didn't want to lose the headroom where the door rolls up. Every square foot counts when it's not uncommon to be loading 100 tires in the back...

Old 02-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #15
Skoolie

I own a bus..

I don't want to buy a different vehicle, but was just curious about the flat ceiling.. Since this will be my home, I just thought why not have a flat ceiling.

I don't want to go too too high with the roof raise because of traveling on the roads, but also finding it top heavy.

I think the cool thing about a flat ceiling would be more of a home like feel on the go... and like another poster mentioned.. I like the idea of being able to run a conduit for wiring and such or future upgrades.. HAVC and such.

My dad has a wood shop that has birch wood panels that are suspended on rails of nice cherry wood, it looks amazing...

So out loud I was thinking about a flat ceiling made of these two woods, the panels are fastened but can be undone and the panel taken out if lights needed to be replaced.. if vents needed to be ran.. etc.. Just thinking ahead.

I will try to go find the build of Nate's flat ceiling and check it out.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Yeah, I'm sure if I've got the money I can get anything installed. I don't have a roof raise so I wouldn't end up with much headroom. Some of the old grumman mail trucks have nice flat rollup doors, but by the time you account for the rounded roof of the bus the door ends up being pretty low when it's overhead.
The KISS theory indicates I'll just use the chairlift for motorcycles instead of a big rollup door in the back.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJackson View Post
I own a bus..

I don't want to buy a different vehicle, but was just curious about the flat ceiling.. Since this will be my home, I just thought why not have a flat ceiling.

I don't want to go too too high with the roof raise because of traveling on the roads, but also finding it top heavy.

I think the cool thing about a flat ceiling would be more of a home like feel on the go... and like another poster mentioned.. I like the idea of being able to run a conduit for wiring and such or future upgrades.. HAVC and such.

My dad has a wood shop that has birch wood panels that are suspended on rails of nice cherry wood, it looks amazing...

So out loud I was thinking about a flat ceiling made of these two woods, the panels are fastened but can be undone and the panel taken out if lights needed to be replaced.. if vents needed to be ran.. etc.. Just thinking ahead.

I will try to go find the build of Nate's flat ceiling and check it out.
That sounds awesome!

I did a kitchen a while back with cherry and birch. Turned out beautiful.

Now you have me rethinking how I am going to finish my ceiling
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Easiest way would be to strip the skin down to the windows, cut the ribs just below the curve, then have new ribs made with nearly no curve (ala semi trailer) weld and reskin.
keiffith is offline   Reply With Quote