Old 08-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #31
Almost There

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 345
Rated Cap: 69
Re: flea bay tankless water heaters.

Black ABS pipe you refer to is not for pressured applications. Other than that, I don't know.
Black HDPE pipe is somewhat flexible, potable, and great UV resistance. I don't know about the usable temp range . Some new PEX pipe is also UV resistant with high heat applications.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I'm pretty sure the stuff they sell for sand point wells, lake pumps, etc is ABS. I'd have to look at the stuff we have running from the lake to water the garden, but it is exposed to sunlight (until leaves and stuff over it) and is pressurized to 60 PSI without any issues other than the occasional leaky fitting. The grey plastic barbs aren't an issue, but the hose clamps just don't seem to hold up.

As a side note...I like working with CPVC. The stuff is easy, forgiving, and cheap. The downside is that I had to run a lot of water through it (including a bleach solution) to remove that plastic taste at first.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:01 PM   #33
Almost There

Your mention of barb fittings leads me to believe that is HDPE which is flexible. ABS is very rigid.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

You very well may be correct. I always get the stuff confused. ABS is the stuff you can weld (among other plastics), correct?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #35
Skoolie

Year: 1950
Coachwork: don't know
Chassis: cheverolet
Engine: to be determined
Rated Cap: 28

got an idea for ya why don't you add a dryer/filter like I have in my paint booth. it does two things for me takes the moisture out of the line, and separates the oil that the air compressor leaks into the tank.
I know you don't care about the moisture part but getting rid of the oily sludge that accumulates in the bottom of your air tanks would make me think that you would have cleaner water

sharp makes a quality dryer for a moderate price

the reason i asked about schedule 40 is the fact that its rated for 300 psi if i remember correctly
delbertinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:25 PM   #36
Bus Geek

The air that comes out of my brake tanks is relatively clean. I have a heated Bendex drier. I haven't had to use it yet for filling the air tank and I don't think I want to, but it stands as an emergency backup.

My biggest hang up is still in finding a good air pressure regulator. I need something that will work with carb-like precision...a "float" that will seat a needle valve into the seat when the pressure is correct. Air tool regulators just aren't that accurate at low pressures.

I'm not sure what the burst pressure is on CPVC, but smaller tubing usually has a higher rating since the wall thickness doesn't decrease proportionately to the inside diameter. I know I'm safe though because my water pressures are never higher than a person would see in a domestic supply. 40 PSI is on the high end and I usually run it lower because I don't want to waste that much water.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #37
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
You very well may be correct. I always get the stuff confused. ABS is the stuff you can weld (among other plastics), correct?
Well...........either can be "welded". But I think you mean ABS can be "glued". HDPE generally isn't glued, hence the barb fittings.

P.S. Though I dabble in plumbing, I'm not a plumber. I am however a Plastics Engineer in Injection Molding.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #38
Bus Geek

I was thinking about the cases for stuff like cordless drill packs. Those are made of ABS, correct? If that's the case then they can be welded with a nifty little tool.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:59 AM   #39
Almost There

Yes, you are on the right track.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #40
Skoolie

Year: 1950
Coachwork: don't know
Chassis: cheverolet
Engine: to be determined
Rated Cap: 28

as far as regulator as far as cheap and accurate. use a paint gun regulator has its own guage adjustable from 0 to 120 psi
pull the nob to ulock twist to the desired pressue lets say 32lbs push in to lock forget it about $20.00 or less for a decent one.
3/8 inlet and outlet. tough as nails goes on the end of my flexible air hose used the same one for the last 17. years beat it to death
still works great an the guage is still in tack
delbertinie is offline   Reply With Quote