Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Flip This Bus??

hey some people buy School buses and put a Hot Top in it and sell it for money

Other then that I think Skoolie buyers prefer to buy them empty and build them the way they like them to be.
But that just my opinion and I'm new to this club.

I bought one because I can not find an RV that will sleep 8+ people.

swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I really don't think it would be profitable. It's hard to get your money back out of a conversion. My first bus was done on a tight budget, but was still pretty nice. The conversion was still basically new and I still lost a little money when I sold it.
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
Bus Geek

i'm going to sell my current bus on evilbay and see if it brings me a profit. If so, this would be the 3rd jacuzzi bus in a row that i have made money on. (as far as money is concerned....i probably made about 50 cents per hour on my labor with the first bus....i did make about $15/hr on the 2nd bus)

I'm not convinced that making money on flipping completed skoolies in the form of an rv would be profitable. I think the jacuzzi thing is a bit of a novelty and perhaps requires more desire, tools, and machinery than the average joe has access too so there is someoen willing to pay for that novelty.

i have considered buying a skoolie,spend two weeks installing a jacuzzi, perhaps painting the exterior, leaving the rest of the interior empty and trying to sell her at a profit to someone who wants to complete the inside. If i could spend $2,500 and sell it for $5K that would be worth while, but it would be a lot of work.

the problem with most of us skoolie owners is that we're cheap! It's difficult to sell a completed skoolie to someone who doesn't want to spend any $$