Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2000
Floating Floor Guide?

I found one a long time ago, but can't seem to find it again. It's kind of what I want to do, but without seeing it again I'm not sure how to do it correctly.

Can anyone point me to a good guide thread?

PowerDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
I am posting here because it is relevant and I want to get updates. My default plan is to use whatever paint on adhesive seems relevant and maybe to put 2x2's on the sides.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
Almost There

Hey TAOLIK have you come across anything?

and everyone else, please HELP if you know! Searching did not find what I was looking for! I would like to get started tomorrow!
Old 07-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
Bus Nut

No, not really but I have read through a handful of builds.

here's the good news bus doing their flooring Which is pretty similar to my plan, I found another build that went through pretty much the same process the other day. The only difference is I'm going to use some sort of adhesive caulk/ or paint to lay down the insulation, I'm going to leave a layer of radiant barrier in between, and great stuff the cracks, also i debated a bit but I'm going to use a few screws to mechanically fasten the plywood and insulation into the bus. How? I am not sure, I kind of like the idea of laying down 2x2's along the edges of the bus and drilling them down every 6 inches or foot. I haven't seen anyone else do it but it seems handy to have some wood along the edges I can feel comfortable bolting stuff to. I know many here argue against mechanical fastening due to poor insulating, but since I already don't know what I'm doing I'd like to lesson the chance of structural compromise. Also I'll still have vinyl flooring between the subfloor and me anyway.

I am definitely getting close, but I also decided I want to lay down my shower pan before the flooring so I get an extra inch of head space. I'm hoping to have the sub floor laid down by the end of the July. But maybe beforehand I'll skin a few more windows, install a few rv windows, install roof vents. I hope my ramblings help a bit.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
Almost There

Thanks for that build thread, I haven't seen theirs yet and thanks for giving me insight into what your plan is.

The floor installation topic I was hoping to find again had a guy using 4x4 cubes I believe, glued to the floor down the center of the bus at every interval where each sheet of plywoold would meet. Before getting to the plywood part though, he would cut 2 inches off of each side of the foam insulation, half of the cube'd shape, like a U-shape out of the insulation for each side that would have plywood over top of it, so that the insulation could sit flush against the cube that's glued to the floor. the insulation's height would then also match the height of the wood cube perfectly, so that the plywood sat perfectly flat on top of both the insulation and the half of the cube that each sheet of plywood would sit on top of. I believe he then used screws through the plywood to attach into the cube so that everything was attached down the center of the bus, but then along the chair rails where the framing would be built, he held the flooring down with 2x2s or something built into the walls.

It's really the way I wanted to go, but I can't find what build thread it was.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #6
Bus Nut

That rings some bells, are you thinking of Jake C's Brutus?
Old 07-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #7
Almost There

I was! Thanks! I found a video on youtube saying his name and came back here to post the link to the topic and saw you mentioned him too haha. Anyway here's the topic for anyone else curious about the floating floor style I wish to go with.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/pr...html#post40256