Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #1

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 200
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 25
Floor Advice Needed!

So here's the deal...I just got my bus a little over a week ago and have managed to get all of the seats out along with some other misc. items. I guess I was under the impression that there was insulation under the plywood. I am removing the rubber flooring only to find just a layer of plywood and its actually in pretty good condition. I don't like the idea of putting in a subfloor as that would decrease my ceiling height. Do I just fill in the holes and move on?

compguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I know it's a PITA to remove the plywood and while some of it may look great on top, there is a chance there are areas under the plywood that have rust issues and may have actually rusted through the floor. Now is the time to address that issue if you plan on putting a lot of money on top of it. There is no insulation on the floors in these buses, we remove the layer of plywood add a layer of rigid board insulation and then what ever finish floor you plan.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by compguy123 View Post
So here's the deal...I just got my bus a little over a week ago and have managed to get all of the seats out along with some other misc. items. I guess I was under the impression that there was insulation under the plywood. I am removing the rubber flooring only to find just a layer of plywood and its actually in pretty good condition. I don't like the idea of putting in a subfloor as that would decrease my ceiling height. Do I just fill in the holes and move on?

Pull the wood, i just finished mine and its really not hard. A big pry bar and about 3 hrs.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
Pull the wood, i just finished mine and its really not hard. A big pry bar and about 3 hrs.
At least check the area near the rear wheel wells- especially the side toward the back of the bus. If the floor looks fabulous there your odds are good, but that's where a lot of people find rust issues.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #5

Year: 2004
Chassis: CE 200
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 25
I think I will regret it if I don't replace them 😔 Thanks for the feedback everyone! Guess I'm tearing out a floor!
compguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
I think I will regret it if I don't replace them 😔 Thanks for the feedback everyone! Guess I'm tearing out a floor!
You won't regret it. Once it's up you can plan for your desired thickness of insulation, plywood and flooring.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:32 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
If it is in really good shape, I would leave it. Is that bus from Ohio? Where are you?
Quote:
I think I will regret it if I don't replace them �� Thanks for the feedback everyone! Guess I'm tearing out a floor!
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Am I the only one leaving in my factory floor? I love the mounting tracks that run the length of my bus, half the floor in your bus pic here. These are for securing a wheelchair, or a seat. For me, they will let me build modular units inside: stove and shelves, futon couch/bed, sink, etc, that I could just unbolt from the floor and move to another part of my bus as needs change through time, without having to drill new holes in the floor, or patch old ones. I'll be driving through the southwest in this next year, and will look for a wool rug to carpet the open floor, and make it comfortable and homey.

But then, I don't have wheel wells, either (mine's a HandyBus, with only 19" wheels). I agree, this is a gamechanger, as EVERY old vehicle I have seen, even ones that were never salted, rust around the welded seam at this location.

I hear lots of people complain about how hard it can be to get to all the bolts that hold down the seats. Cut them off at the top seems to be the way. But the floor tracks have recessed boltheads, and there are 5 times more of them than seat bolts, and you can't get to all the nuts underneath very easy.

I just started (finally!!!!!!) cleaning my factory vinyl floor with a small brush, a bottle of simple green, and old rags. Starting to look and feel nice. Then the walls, then go back over it all again with clean rags and ammonia.....kids and their boogars! EEEWOOO!
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
Am I the only one leaving in my factory floor? I love the mounting tracks that run the length of my bus, half the floor in your bus pic here. These are for securing a wheelchair, or a seat. For me, they will let me build modular units inside: stove and shelves, futon couch/bed, sink, etc, that I could just unbolt from the floor and move to another part of my bus as needs change through time, without having to drill new holes in the floor, or patch old ones. I'll be driving through the southwest in this next year, and will look for a wool rug to carpet the open floor, and make it comfortable and homey.

But then, I don't have wheel wells, either (mine's a HandyBus, with only 19" wheels). I agree, this is a gamechanger, as EVERY old vehicle I have seen, even ones that were never salted, rust around the welded seam at this location.

I hear lots of people complain about how hard it can be to get to all the bolts that hold down the seats. Cut them off at the top seems to be the way. But the floor tracks have recessed boltheads, and there are 5 times more of them than seat bolts, and you can't get to all the nuts underneath very easy.

I just started (finally!!!!!!) cleaning my factory vinyl floor with a small brush, a bottle of simple green, and old rags. Starting to look and feel nice. Then the walls, then go back over it all again with clean rags and ammonia.....kids and their boogars! EEEWOOO!
To each their own. Pulling the floor is the only 100% way to guarantee there is no rust..also my bus had been converted, but he laid a laminate floor over the rubber floor and ended up having to screw down the planks because they were buckling..really ugly..
Old 09-28-2018, 04:24 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:

We did lizard skin sound control and lizard skin ceramic thermal coatings on our floors, ceiling, and walls. Been very pleased. building right off of that and saves a ton of height and well as insulates and makes the bus much quieter. Links to some videos we have done below. Also here is a link to a Skoolie thread where I give a lot more info. http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/in...ons-23588.html
Old 10-01-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 1998 TC/1000 Bluebird Handybus
Engine: 6BTA 5.9 Cummins Diesel AT545
Rated Cap: 25 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post

I have almost exactly the same kind of bus you do and I decided to take the L-tracks and floor out.
It was a bitch of a process and since I guide full-time in the summer I ended up taking it to a local mechanic to help on some of the hours time.

Long story short-- when all was said and done, even though my factory floor was in pretty good condition I still had a good amount of rust underneath. It wasn't a dangerous amount and I think it is probably pretty fine to leave for awhile but I would just advise that before you install anything 100% permanently down the road to take the time to pull the floor out.

However, I'd love to hear updates on your module furniture. That idea occurred to me too and I think it's pretty brilliant.
=]
Dagnythedoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E 7.3 L
Rated Cap: 62
Mine looked good too, untill I pulled the seats out and realized the windows have been leaking for years. Huge spots of steel flooring rusted through.
Paulymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
I am doing it the same way you are. My flooring looks good (2001 Chevy Express g3500 Cutaway with Eldorado bus shell). I am leaving flooring alone and using tracks to secure cabinets and furniture. I will begin installation this week. I have seen the underside of the shuttle when they replaced all the brake lines. I did remove the carpeting on the walls. Not sure how I will finish walls. I should mention that prior owners had already converted to rv, but had neglected upkeep. The seats were already removed. We just gutted it and will replace cabinets and furniture to suit my tastes.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Im trying to decide if furring strips will be needed under the plywood..any thoughts on doing it this way?
Old 10-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #15
Skoolie

Update. We have noticed rotted plywood near the front stairs. I may change my mind and pull up the floor. And now my son who didn't want to put in the vent fan says that if we remove the ceiling, he will put in the ceiling fan. I have a week to make up my mind.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharee100 View Post
Update. We have noticed rotted plywood near the front stairs. I may change my mind and pull up the floor. And now my son who didn't want to put in the vent fan says that if we remove the ceiling, he will put in the ceiling fan. I have a week to make up my mind.
Put in a vent fan, it will go a long way in moving air through that tube and make it more comfortable than without.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #17
Skoolie

I planned to put in vent fan whether my did it or not. i already bought it