Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Chassis: Unknown
Engine: ISB Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Floor: Floating or not?

I tried to find any answers in the archives but have not yet found this question or discussion...

What are the benefits of a floating floor (subflooring on top of insulation) vs. 1 x 2, 1 x 4, 2 x 4 or firring strips with insulation between anchored to the metal floor and subflooring on top of that?

I think that the floating floor would provide more insulation (as you wont be losing heat through the anchoring boards) and will put less metal holes in your metal floor.

What are the other trade-offs? I read a lot of people are doing them either / both ways, but have not yet decided which way I should go...

Thanks,
John

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Floor: Floating or not?

We did the 1x2 and 1x4 furring strips with insul in between then a T&G osb on top. Our finished floor is a cheap laminate flooring (.69 per sq.') which floats on top of the rest. I'm not so sure of the insul value of our subfloor so much as it the noise it cuts out. I'm sure there are other things to do for insulating better, but the main problem is just the plain fact that with cold air being able to freely circulate under a bus(like a trailer or mobile home without skirting) there's probably going to be a limit to what you could reasonably expect for insul value. As for the laminate, I like it. Pretty easy to install, but absolutely unforgiving when it comes to water.
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Chassis: Unknown
Engine: ISB Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Floor: Floating or not?

I ended up leaving the sub floor without screws, then laid down 5" and 6" hickory boards over that. Glued AND Nailed down the hickory floor (with gaps around the sides / also have gaps in the sub floor) Floor feels very solid, already built some kitchen cabinetry and put in a claw foot tub, which should hold it down. I'm fairly confident that the sub floor floating will not be a problem, but will update this thread over time.

I feel good about not having extra rust points in the floor.
John is offline   Reply With Quote