Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: Floor Heater

The water lines come from the engine and have antifreeze in them. Those valves will shut off the water both from and to, closing them will allow you to remove the heater. Wire goes to the fan. If you are not going to put the heater back in, I recommend you plug them some way other than just those valves, they are easily bumped and opened. You would loose your antifreeze. They can be hooked together to close the loop again, but if it were me I would completely remove them.

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

You do not need to close the loop, they can just be plugged. If you aren't going to ever need heat in the rear, I would plug them at the engine and tear out the whole thing. At the engine you can either cut the hose and stick a plug in, screw out the fitting and screw in a plug (if it has that kind), or just make a small loop from one to the other. If you do any of that remember, you will have to drain the coolant to do it. (not onto the ground coolant is poison)

Quote:
coolant still needs to flow through
It doesn't, unless there is another heater that it is supplying. Without seeing it, I would guess there are some "Ts" somewhere that go to the front heater/defroster

I'm sure the small "tube" is just the electrical wire to the heater fan, probably inside of some sort of insulation.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I agree with somewhereinusa. If you will be removing the heater, then best to eliminate that whole coolant loop. Trace it back to it's source. Does it go back to another heater or straight to the engine? In either case, close the loop as close to the engine as you can, or eliminate the loop altogether by eliminating the "T" it feeds off of and replace that "T" with a straight connector to continue the primary loop it came off of. Most heater loops are T'd off of another primary loop, but if you remove it directly from the engine, I think it would be best to at least create a short loop that connects the engine coolant output back to the return. Hope that makes sense...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #4

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevrolet

This kind of thing is EXACTLY why I joined this message board. I know this is a really old message. Anyone else dealing with removing the old floor heater? I removed it...with a machete. And then had to clean up the coolant. Right now, trying to figure how to trace the hoses back to their origin so I can cap them/reroute them.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

What kind of bus do you have? It helps if we know. Almost everything that is built on a large truck chassis (full size buses) will have shut off valves on the engine. One will be near the front of the engine, the other probably near the rear. Water flows out the front one through the heaters and back in the rear one. If you close the valves you will have no heat or defrost. The heaters, if more than one will be in a loop. A rear engine bus will have heater hoses running all the way to the front. If you want to take out the rear heaters you need to put a pipe in to connect the hoses where you take out the rear heaters. If you have a front engine you can simply run a hose from one valve to the inlet of the heater and another hose from the other heater outlet to the other valve on the engine. Everything else can be taken out.