Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Floor insulation.

I did not want to put foam board down on my floor and plywood over that, because I wanted to save precious head room. Instead, I didn't do any insulation in the floor and focused on the ceiling and walls. So far in this colder weather when I'm camping, the floor hasn't seemed that cold under my feet once the woodstove has been burning for awhile and warmed my bus up. However, I am still considering adding insulation beneath the bus and I was considering a spray-on type. Any suggestions... something I should get at Home Depot or Lowe's or Menard's? How much did it cost? Thank you.

Adam

arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Floor insulation.

http://www.rhhfoamsystems.com/

These guys make a spray foam that comes in a disposable container kit with several nozzles. (nozzles are one time use) This foam is similar to the "Great Stuff" foam available at Maynards or Home Depot but in a much more cost effective amount. Do the whole underside of your bus using the cans and you will spend... well I would guess well over a thousand. The problem with this foam is that once you spray it into the floor it will want to flop out as a result of gravity, unless of course you have access to a ships gimble that can roll your bus onto the roof then fill er up, obviously not feasible. One alternative that I plan,(but have not actually tried yet), is to screw or tack weld 1" X 1" wire mesh to the bottom side of the bus floor then spray the foam in between the holes to fill the floor cavity. The wire mesh would form a sort of net to hold the foam in place until it dried solid.

The actual name for this type of foam is polyicynene . Many companys have their own name for it but thats the type, just like a styrofoam cup is expanded polystyrene (EPS) and the pink or blue stuff is extruded polystyrene (XEPS). Polyicynene has an r- value of about 7 per inch as compared to expanded and extruded at 3.5 and 5 respectively. You get what you pay for in this case. Another plus is that the polyicynene acts as a vapour barrier as well, meaning a very effective rust proofing if installed properly. Be sure not to encase all your lines though or you will have a buggar of a time getting at them to fix them or worse yet, the water or other fluid gets trapped in your floor system causing even more damage. Let us know what you do...
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

I appreciate your advice, however, something that would cost 1000 bucks is out of the question. I have access to all the styrofoam board insulation I could ever want for free, but it is going to be a pain in the a** to cut all the pieces to fit between the floor beams and the mechanical systems under my bus. It'll be a project for next spring anyhow. Thanks.

Adam
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

I meant that it would cost you over a grand if you bought those little cans available at home depot but it may be cheaper if you purchase the commercial version. But if you do have unlimited sheets then maybe that is the way to go...
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote