Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2019, 01:13 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: GMC
Floor insulation blueprint?

Hey all, I’ve been looking through the forums and when it comes to insulation, there seem to be a lot of free-floating ideas about best insulation practices, but not a lot of specific ‘blueprints.’

For those of you who have already done the insulation on your bus and have insulation that you believe works well, what did you use?

For reference, I am currently converting a 1988 GMC short bus to a touring car for my band and I. I am going to be based out of Asheville, NC and living there when not on tour.

I’ve got the bus stripped down to its shell, and once I’m through welding rust holes, the next step will be putting the floors down. As I will not be doing a roof raise on the bus, I need to maximize R-value/efficiency while also maximizing headroom. (I’m 6’0)

Links, and/or specific product names would be super helpful!! Pictures are even better! I look forward to hearing from you all!

silvermachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:11 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermachine View Post

Links, and/or specific product names would be super helpful!! Pictures are even better! I look forward to hearing from you all!
I just did what a few others did & added my personal touch (which may or may not have been an upgrade). We used PL300 for glue, 1.5" XPS (pink stuff, but also comes in blue), & 5/8" tongue & groove flooring ply...all from Lowes. It is a floating floor, so I used cinder blocks & sandbags to keep the pressure on the glue between the layers. Pretty sure this is a proven method, most certainly approved by all backyard bus engineers. There are plenty that argue other methods are superior, but they are all wrong. Every...single...one. Good Luck & have fun!

Tags
bus, floor, insulation, skoolie