Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Detroit Motors 8.2
floor issues

I am making a tailgaiting/traveling kitchen out of my bus.
I need to know what is the best material to use on my floor. I am going to go with a vinly sheet floor or something similar.
question 1: how do I plug up the holes from the seat bolts? (should I weld them? my floor is galvanised)
question 2: should I install a subfloor (3/4 inch T/G plywood). And should I install it directly onto the metal of the floor with some simple plastic for a water barier?
This bus is going to stay on the west coast so it will not really see any snow or heavy rainfall.
Thanks
-B

butcher_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Re: floor issues

I used peel-n-seal, you can get it from a siding or alum company that puts up patio covers.
Its like the 200mph tape nascar uses.....
Old 10-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: floor issues

I have been sealing the holes on our floor by cutting a small section of flooring out, gluing down a piece of aluminum flashing with a water proof caulk, then filling in almost level with additional caulk (I like the elastometric caulk for roofing repairs for that).

As for your choice of floor covering... From a food vendor... if you are using this kitchen to sell/serve food from, you had better check with your local Health Department... and don't forget the cove molding. Lowes/Home Depot sells a glue down commercial composition tile (12X12) By Armstrong (both stores I think). Tough stuff, we used in in the pop-up. It held up well to the dirt and clay in the campgrounds we stayed at. Only downside we found was the seams filled dirt unless we filled them with caulking. Yet this is preferred by Health Departments across the country over a solid vinyl floor. We plan on using it in our bus and putting "throw" rugs on top... when the rugs get too bad, I "throw" them away!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_89172-61-525...3Dvinyl%2Btile
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote