Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Floor plan advice, plus a few dumb questions

Just bought my first bus, a 5 window handicap bus with a lift, and am currently in the planning stage. Trying to finalize a floor plan.

Goal of the bus is two-fold. Mobile motorhome for just me, dirt bike in tow, to some random campground where I'll be riding all day and sleeping in the bus. Weekend get-away rig with the wife and baby. I say 'weekend' because I have a camper for any longer trips. This is the 'hey lets go to the lake for the weekend' vehicle, save on towing the camper and all the setup/teardown that goes with it. Longer trips, like say going to the beach for a week, we'll continue to use the camper. Might also have a friend along for the motorcycle trips sometimes, who may or may not sleep inside on the other bed.

So here's the plan I came up with. The rear bed will be high, maybe 4', with ample storage under it. The lift will probably stay in place, although I could remove it. Seems like it'll be helpful with lifting coolers or the generator inside, plus I have ideas of how to still haul a dirt bike inside by folding the bed up. The front seat will be rearward facing, with a fold up table in between them while parked. The couch/second bed will be a homemade unit, but basically a futon. Not really planning on cooking inside, already have everything needed for an outdoor kitchen that will all store under the rear bed with room to spare.

I know it doesn't leave much at all for storage, but it's about the best I can come up with that still allows for a second bed and enough seats to belt everyone in.

Any thoughts on it?

I'm hoping to find some shuttle bus seats, or something equivalent, that have lap/shoulder belts built in to replace my bus seats, which have lap only. Hopefully they're more comfortable too.

I've never ridden in a rearward facing seat, but I have some reservations about it. Seems like it would be annoying for a long ride.

Interior dimensions are 12'6" long by 7'6" wide not including the drivers compartment.

Dumb newbie questions:

What seats should I be looking for? Old grayhound bus maybe? Old shuttle bus? Thinking a 2 person bench seat with built in lap/shoulder belts that's comfortable.

Insulation. Everyone here says you need it. Is it really that bad? I won't be camping in inclement weather with the wife and kid very often, at least until the kid is older, and either way it's gonna be warmer than my tent. Surely a space heater in a short bus plus electric blankets would be good enough for spring and fall weather...

Any stupid advice I'm missing out on?

Thanks a lot for any answers. I'm hoping to start building here in a few weeks or so.

Outside picture of the bus, just because everyone likes pictures.

Jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules083 View Post
Just bought my first bus, a 5 window handicap bus with a lift, and am currently in the planning stage. Trying to finalize a floor plan.

Goal of the bus is two-fold. Mobile motorhome for just me, dirt bike in tow, to some random campground where I'll be riding all day and sleeping in the bus. Weekend get-away rig with the wife and baby.
I was thinking of getting a weekend wife, but seemed like more work.

Since you've camped together already, you know your needs by now.

Airplane seats are wicked nice, conversion van seats, Sprinter benches are nice. Get the seat frame and seatbelts/ends.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote