Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Floor Question ?

Hi, Wondering what people are doing with thier floors. I am about 6' tall, and just have clearance in my newlt purchased TC2000. I'm wanting to install Laminate floor, but the 1/2 inch will make the cieling height closer to a problem. Wondering if anyone is removing thier rubber floor and if so is it a big job, is it adviseable, is it worthwile ?

Thanks,

Rick
Watson 1 in the galley.

RichardRWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #2
Almost There

Re: Floor Question ?

Wow, I am almost scared, my name is Richard C Watson, but I go by Rich.

I have been watching for HD or Blowes to put laminate flooring on sale, usually catch it for $0.75 a sq ft when they discontinue a line and since you usually only need 150-180 sq ft or so...
Old 06-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRWatson
Hi, Wondering what people are doing with thier floors. I am about 6' tall, and just have clearance in my newlt purchased TC2000. I'm wanting to install Laminate floor, but the 1/2 inch will make the cieling height closer to a problem. Wondering if anyone is removing thier rubber floor and if so is it a big job, is it adviseable, is it worthwile ?

Thanks,

Rick
Watson 1 in the galley.
Hi-

It's not too much trouble...and you get to see the plywood sub-floor to inspect for water damage, etc. If there is a leak in the wall of your bus, it may only be evident by water damage to the underfloor.
Besides, the rubber is probably around 1/8" in thickness...that can mean the different between enough headroom, and "nearly enough."

Good luck
Sean
Old 06-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrockingchairs
Wow, I am almost scared, my name is Richard C Watson, but I go by Rich.

I have been watching for HD or Blowes to put laminate flooring on sale, usually catch it for $0.75 a sq ft when they discontinue a line and since you usually only need 150-180 sq ft or so...
Old 06-03-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'll pull up the rubber ! I was hoping that it was thicker than 1/8" but every bit helps I guess.

I was thinking cheapo laminate also. Wondering if I put it over the whole floor, then build walls on top of it, bolt down furniture and cupboards through it etc. will expansion/contraction cause trouble ?

I was also toying with the idea of putting in B grade pine panneling on the floor, tongue and groove stuff. Then staining and varnishing with a few coats.

Rick
Old 06-04-2007, 06:00 AM   #6
Almost There

Another option we briefly considered was replacing the rubber flooring with new rubber flooring. This was a little more $$$ than we wanted to invest in the bus. If we end up using it in the craft room (where copious amounts of water flood the floor because of basket weaving) then we will probably get enough to do the bus as well, since to add the material for the bus won't increase our freight charges. They do have some nifty colours though.

Personally I spent a couple nights agonizing over what to do with all the bolt holes leftover from ripping out the seats. In the end, I just puttied them in with body filler and sanded them flat.

I too am over the 6' mark and duck most of the time I am standing in the bus, but I figure not much time is spent standing around the bus and I am just going to live with it.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Hey, My Skoolie is in for a road safety standards inspection tomorrow morning. Wish me luck . . .

I ended up pulling all the rubber floor out. About 3/16" thick. The plywood was soaked under it everywhere. My windows had been leaking for some time I guess. Anyway, I closed it up with a fan and a dehumidifier for three days straight, and it's mostly dry now. I also cut all the caulking of the windows and redid it. It doesn't leak anymore. All the plywood seems sound without signs of rot, must be outdoor plywood I guess. I'll let it dry some more, and then lay down cushion floor in front, and carpet in back.

I also painted the ceiling, and installed carpet on the walls from chair rail to windows in the front sitting area. When the floor is all dried out I'll paint below the chair rail also.

Floor question sorted out for me.

Rick
Old 06-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Your response is pretty typical of people on this board, myself included. I was always planning on pulling up my floor, but I really didn't think it was that bad...until I got all of the rubber up.