Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-30-2015, 12:20 AM   #11
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,107
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Its these kinds of things that are maddening in a bus build.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:23 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 23
I'm between Rochester and Buffalo NY

I tried the pry the aluminum out but it's too thick and the bolts are every 4" so there's not much bending room.

The first place I looked was underneath and the nuts are over storage bins, fuel tanks, tires, air and brake lines and other things I don't want a torch or grinder near.

I'm going to pick up an electric die grinder and try that. The carbide bit seems to do a good job until the air runs down.

Hmmm, primer cord might work but the repairs afterwards are a problem.
steveoutdoorrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:25 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 23
I told the wife that the rest of the build will be easy once the damn floor is out
steveoutdoorrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:28 AM   #14
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,241
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoutdoorrec View Post
I'm between Rochester and Buffalo NY

I tried the pry the aluminum out but it's too thick and the bolts are every 4" so there's not much bending room.

The first place I looked was underneath and the nuts are over storage bins, fuel tanks, tires, air and brake lines and other things I don't want a torch or grinder near.

I'm going to pick up an electric die grinder and try that. The carbide bit seems to do a good job until the air runs down.

Hmmm, primer cord might work but the repairs afterwards are a problem.
I have been known to tear up some fecal matter with my Dewalt Diamond Wheel on my 4-1/2 inch grinder

__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:32 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 23
I didn't know such wonderful things existed. Might be worth a try
steveoutdoorrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:36 AM   #16
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,107
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Yeah when I run into stuff like this, I try to resist buying new tools. But lately I've been finding that I NEED lots of GOOD tools. Tools make all the difference.
I'm really not a wealthy person. But lately I've had to buy a lot of big stuff... welder, torch, compressor (a real one).


I had to buy a 5.5 mm deep socket today. Damn GM... Why couldn't the heater core plastic cover be held on by normal 1/4"??
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:45 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie
 
mjh2901's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Dublin California USA
Posts: 46
Coachwork: Looking for something
Chassis: Big Enough to fit my dog
Never forget heavy duty tool rental. The floor may be a one shot deal with something big and expensive. Whats holding the sub floor down? maybe prying up the rubber, un screwing and removing the sub floor then remove the track and bolts outside the bus and reinstall.
__________________
Mike Hathaway
mike@mikehathaway.com
http://www.mikehathaway.com
facebook.com/mikehathaway
mjh2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:59 AM   #18
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,241
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoutdoorrec View Post
I didn't know such wonderful things existed. Might be worth a try
Actually, I misspoke.... I just went and looked, my diamond blade is a Skilsaw brand I use on my Makita angle grinder... looks identical.

anyway, I use it a lot cutting EMT conduit, thick wall aluminum conduit, hard galvanized pipe, and hard copper pipe... making windchimes

the regular cutoff blades just chew to their nubs too soon for me

__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:09 AM   #19
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 2,939
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
That grinder wheel your showing is a diamond tile cutting wheel.

They do make wheels to cut steel and aluminum that look just like skill saw blades.
Google "Carbide steel cutting saw".

Steel & Metal Cutting Saw Blades - Steel Cutting Carbide Tipped Saw Blades

The carbide steel cutting blades cut over 10 times faster than any abrasive cutting wheel. They also do not generate heat that warps the metal like the abrasive wheels.

I used to use a John Deer 7.25" metal cutting skill saw for cutting out the sides of C-can shipping containers. Worked great.

Nat
__________________
"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:12 AM   #20
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,241
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
That grinder wheel your showing is a diamond tile cutting wheel.

They do make wheels to cut steel and aluminum that look just like skill saw blades.
Google "Carbide steel cutting saw".

Steel & Metal Cutting Saw Blades - Steel Cutting Carbide Tipped Saw Blades

The carbide steel cutting blades cut over 10 times faster than any abrasive cutting wheel. They also do not generate heat that warps the metal like the abrasive wheels.

I used to use a John Deer 7.25" metal cutting skill saw for cutting out the sides of C-can shipping containers. Worked great.

Nat
You are correct, I bought it to do a one time tile job.... then tossed it in the drawer.
Was trying to cut some pipe one day, chewed up a cutoff wheel and grabbed this diamond blade and never looked back.

I'm probably abusing it, but I know I won't be using it on tile anymore.


I watched a guy cutting rain gutter with a dewalt saw today that kinda surprised me, he used the regular blade

https://youtu.be/4ZcqiPnKO84?t=1m45s
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.