Old 05-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
The roof it's self is pretty light, movement we're talking about is springing out when the ribs are cut
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:38 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
Smile

Ok, I see.
I was picturing the entire roof flexing left and right along the length and the ribs widening as well as curling front to back. I had the whole 6 axis twist in my head.

I think, I would be safe lifting with the assisted alignment bolts and brackets and floor jacks.

If not, we were certainly hear about it here haha.
Thank you.
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:45 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

You should Still use something to keep it stable like tube and all thread
You don't want it getting away from you, far as lifting one person can push it up a couple inches while one person or two run the all thread
Old 05-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
DO you have any pics of that? Thanks!
Here ya go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0205.jpg (203.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #25
Skoolie

Cool

Yes,
I fabricated round tubing to fit around 5/8ths 3' all thread.
I will weld it to four (two on each side, second rib from the front and rear) to help stabilize and prevent movement. As well as, help with some of the weight between incremental lifts.

Once it is lifted, I will weld 1x1 tubing in the rib channels with at least a foot above and below the cuts. I have sheet steel and I made a metal break to produce the thin sheet angles to mimic the surface area of the original ribs for riveting the new sheet steel onto the ribs.

Oh, another important aspect is that I am leaving the first section above the driver's seat and door alone. It will not be lifted and the second section between ribs will be removed prior to the lift. I will finish the lift and then add reinforcements from rib to rib over the exposed area and cover with sheet steel to give it a nice aerodynamic flow.

I personally don't care for the look of lifting a truck nose bus when, it is lifted complete from front to back. It looks very unnatural and appears to create horrible drag. So, I will give it a nice air diverter look.

Now, as far as the lift, I have the full length rain edge above the windows. I plan to remove the screws and attach the top of the new sheet steel to the area under the drip edge and down to the first horizontal exterior rib on the body. It gives me roughly a 16 inch lift.

Should I predrill the holes in the sheet metal bigger than normal to allow for expansion in different seasons (Northern Minnesota temp sways of 100 degrees)?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
Yes,
I fabricated round tubing to fit around 5/8ths 3' all thread.
I will weld it to four (two on each side, second rib from the front and rear) to help stabilize and prevent movement. As well as, help with some of the weight between incremental lifts.

Once it is lifted, I will weld 1x1 tubing in the rib channels with at least a foot above and below the cuts. I have sheet steel and I made a metal break to produce the thin sheet angles to mimic the surface area of the original ribs for riveting the new sheet steel onto the ribs.

Oh, another important aspect is that I am leaving the first section above the driver's seat and door alone. It will not be lifted and the second section between ribs will be removed prior to the lift. I will finish the lift and then add reinforcements from rib to rib over the exposed area and cover with sheet steel to give it a nice aerodynamic flow.

I personally don't care for the look of lifting a truck nose bus when, it is lifted complete from front to back. It looks very unnatural and appears to create horrible drag. So, I will give it a nice air diverter look.

Now, as far as the lift, I have the full length rain edge above the windows. I plan to remove the screws and attach the top of the new sheet steel to the area under the drip edge and down to the first horizontal exterior rib on the body. It gives me roughly a 16 inch lift.

Should I predrill the holes in the sheet metal bigger than normal to allow for expansion in different seasons (Northern Minnesota temp sways of 100 degrees)?

Thanks
Thats pretty much what I did except my 1in tube butts up to the roof frame, mine has what I can best describe as a 2 in square tube Ibeem that runs the full length of the bus above the windows & then the tubes below the cuts go almost all the way to the floor.

One thing I'm sorry I did was I made the transition cap from lower to lifted portion out of fiberglass, If I could go back I would have had a metal shop make one for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0216.jpg (158.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
While we are on the subject, I know Burlking has an international 3800 but, has anyone with a 3800 completed a lift?

If so, what should I expect for movement and flex in the roof?
I raised my 3800's roof 16". Not a huge lift, but there was absolutely not a single bit of flexing in my roof when it was cut free. I also used allthread to do my lift. Went up square and lined up pretty much perfect. But then again I have almost no rust on my bus at all so that could be why nothing sagged for flexed weird. Not sure if I got lucky or what. Pics in my build thread called "Somethin' Happened!"
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #28
Skoolie

Smile

Excellent!
Thank you, 16 is a good lift.
It is about as much as I want to do.
Thanks
Old 05-14-2016, 09:22 PM   #29
Skoolie

Slaughridge

Slaughridge,

Were the all thread bolts the only thing you used to do your lift?
Old 05-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Here ya go
Thanks, and if you have ANY more, please post em up somewhere or PM them to me, I'm absorbing all I can before undertaking this now that summer is upon us.

Tags
floor, flooring, removal, rust, seat