Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2016, 09:44 PM   #31
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,063
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
Excellent!
Thank you, 16 is a good lift.
It is about as much as I want to do.
Thanks
Yeah, 16 seems to be what several have ended up going with for a raise.
I'm thinking of going 16", too.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #32
Skoolie
 
New2Skool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bemidji MN
Posts: 185
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
Cool Today's work

Today, I ripped apart an old RV Captain's Chair I found at the dump.
It had a lap belt and I want a three point.
So, I quickly welded on a shoulder reinforcement to mount the shoulder belt.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

My horrible welding job survived the 3lb swing test.
That is where I give the weld a full wind up, swing and hit with a 3lb hammer.
It survived the hammer and required another hammer to return it to place.

I tested two rust removers today on untreated rusted areas.
The first is the area in the lower part of the picture.
It is a locktite naval jelly rust remover.
Please note the section between the wheels wells in the top of the picture.
I forgot to take a before picture but, that is the second area.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Now the second area was untreated rust as well.
I used CLR to see how it worked on the heaviest of rust.
These pictures are during and after.
I forgot to take a before picture but, the results are amazing.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thanks to these two tests, I have decided upon a rust attack plan.
Wire Wheel grind the entire floor.
Clean as best as I can.
I bought a new shop vac since my previous bust into flames yesterday.
Then treat with CLR.
Remove CLR
Dry
Prime immediately within 24 hours of CLR removal.

Now, this is my plan but I am certainly open to advise.
Plus, we have time to formulate.
As the weather has not been ideal for painting or priming.
It hit 89 degrees two weeks ago and yesterday it was 28 degrees.

I forgot to mention yesterday, I was hit in the eye by a shard of metal while grinding.
I had on a hat, goggles, respirator, glasses and a hat.
Still a small piece made it through and struck my eye.
An hour later, I left the hospital in good working order and an odd keepsake.


So, what do you all think?
__________________
D.L. Jones III
"The Independence"
98 International
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #33
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,063
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
Today, I ripped apart an old RV Captain's Chair I found at the dump.
It had a lap belt and I want a three point.
So, I quickly welded on a shoulder reinforcement to mount the shoulder belt.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

My horrible welding job survived the 3lb swing test.
That is where I give the weld a full wind up, swing and hit with a 3lb hammer.
It survived the hammer and required another hammer to return it to place.

I tested two rust removers today on untreated rusted areas.
The first is the area in the lower part of the picture.
It is a locktite naval jelly rust remover.
Please note the section between the wheels wells in the top of the picture.
I forgot to take a before picture but, that is the second area.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Now the second area was untreated rust as well.
I used CLR to see how it worked on the heaviest of rust.
These pictures are during and after.
I forgot to take a before picture but, the results are amazing.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thanks to these two tests, I have decided upon a rust attack plan.
Wire Wheel grind the entire floor.
Clean as best as I can.
I bought a new shop vac since my previous bust into flames yesterday.
Then treat with CLR.
Remove CLR
Dry
Prime immediately within 24 hours of CLR removal.

Now, this is my plan but I am certainly open to advise.
Plus, we have time to formulate.
As the weather has not been ideal for painting or priming.
It hit 89 degrees two weeks ago and yesterday it was 28 degrees.

I forgot to mention yesterday, I was hit in the eye by a shard of metal while grinding.
I had on a hat, goggles, respirator, glasses and a hat.
Still a small piece made it through and struck my eye.
An hour later, I left the hospital in good working order and an odd keepsake.


So, what do you all think?
Worked with metal most of my adult life and no matter the amount of eye protection something always seems to make it into the eye.
Did they have to drill it out or did it pull out?
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #34
Skoolie
 
New2Skool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bemidji MN
Posts: 185
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
Thankfully, the doc was able to pull it out and give me antibiotic drops for the next few days.

It was bad luck, when I first got my bus I ground the seat bolts and everything else without any protective gear.
Never had a problem then.
I use protections and boom incident.
Haha
__________________
D.L. Jones III
"The Independence"
98 International
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #35
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 495
Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
Slaughridge,

Were the all thread bolts the only thing you used to do your lift?
Yep, the threaded bolts were passed through the guides which were positioned on either side of the cut, I put the bolts and washers and nuts on and then cut the window pillars from the outside. No extra bracing was used.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:32 PM   #36
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,063
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Yep, the threaded bolts were passed through the guides which were positioned on either side of the cut, I put the bolts and washers and nuts on and then cut the window pillars from the outside. No extra bracing was used.
Cool, sounds like how I may try it.
Mind if I Pm you a million questions in the next 4-6 weeks?
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #37
Skoolie
 
New2Skool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bemidji MN
Posts: 185
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
Thumbs down Eye of the Storm

Update
Last night my eye became worse.
I went into the Optometrist this morning.
She found another piece in my eye.
She was able to pull some of it out but had to drill the remaining part.
Then she had to drill the rusted area out of my eye.
A very horrible experience considering the helplessness.
So, now I am blurred, burning and pained in my right eye.
I assume my visual will return to normal in a week or two.
However, that is a nerve wracking week or two.
So, yeah kind of a turn off to grinding.

Nevertheless, today I still did some work on the Bus.
I also contacted Navistar to inquire about buying a new bus directly from the manufacturing plant. A custom order, a blank canvas.
So, we will see what they say.
It would be amazing to buy a new bus without seats, sub flooring, lights, paint, windows or any of the typical removal aspects and to start with a bare metal shell.

If anyone has advise on this eye deal feel free to comment.
I will be glad to squint and try read it haha.
__________________
D.L. Jones III
"The Independence"
98 International
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #38
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,063
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
Update
Last night my eye became worse.
I went into the Optometrist this morning.
She found another piece in my eye.
She was able to pull some of it out but had to drill the remaining part.
Then she had to drill the rusted area out of my eye.
A very horrible experience considering the helplessness.
So, now I am blurred, burning and pained in my right eye.
I assume my visual will return to normal in a week or two.
However, that is a nerve wracking week or two.
So, yeah kind of a turn off to grinding.

Nevertheless, today I still did some work on the Bus.
I also contacted Navistar to inquire about buying a new bus directly from the manufacturing plant. A custom order, a blank canvas.
So, we will see what they say.
It would be amazing to buy a new bus without seats, sub flooring, lights, paint, windows or any of the typical removal aspects and to start with a bare metal shell.

If anyone has advise on this eye deal feel free to comment.
I will be glad to squint and try read it haha.
Yeah, in my experience they almost always have to drill. Not pleasant!
Sorry to hear, man but way to go and stay proactive. gotta be careful with them eyes, man.
New bus? get the Dt530 if you can. and PLEASE get me one too. I'll love you forever, bro!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #39
Skoolie
 
New2Skool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bemidji MN
Posts: 185
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
Haha If I could I would get you a bus East.
I noticed an article in the local paper today about the district ordering specialized buses for the schools.
They wanted to move away from Blue birds and go with the Dailmer buses.
The budget was 65,000-85,000 each and I thought that price must be far less without seats, sub flooring, windows, interior panels, insulation, heaters, flashers and paint.
I don't know about you but, I would buy a brand new blank bus for 35,000 or 40,000 bucks.

The worst part of this whole eye injury thing is the concern if it could impact my vision. I am unable to see clearly through the right eye and I have no idea if it will improve or return to my normal out of whack eye sight.
__________________
D.L. Jones III
"The Independence"
98 International
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #40
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,063
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Skool View Post
Haha If I could I would get you a bus East.
I noticed an article in the local paper today about the district ordering specialized buses for the schools.
They wanted to move away from Blue birds and go with the Dailmer buses.
The budget was 65,000-85,000 each and I thought that price must be far less without seats, sub flooring, windows, interior panels, insulation, heaters, flashers and paint.
I don't know about you but, I would buy a brand new blank bus for 35,000 or 40,000 bucks.

The worst part of this whole eye injury thing is the concern if it could impact my vision. I am unable to see clearly through the right eye and I have no idea if it will improve or return to my normal out of whack eye sight.
I've seen lots of guys have it happen. I'm sure your vision will be fine!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
floor, flooring, removal, rust, seat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.