Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #1

Flooring Question

I have the benches out of my Big Blue Bus (big for me, even though it is only a 30 passenger bus) project. I had assumed I would remove the plastic flooring and install Luan subflooring.

The floor is solid, and intact. There are indented areas where the benches were bolted through the floor, and a ribbed aisle molded into the middle.

If I were to leave the flooring, and install carpet or vinyl floor tile, is there a product I could float in to fill the compressed areas of the current flooring?

Scanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
Dunno where you or your bus is from, that said, rip the floor out. I live in a very rust/rot free area and my bus' floor has cancer, installing over the factory floor is asking for trouble.
ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:31 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Is the floor sheet metal or wood? Ours was sheet metal and had no rust whatsoever so we kept it. Put on foam underlayment/vapor barrier and then luan with stick on tiles for part and cheap laminate maple flooring for the other part.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Gensis
My vote and advice is to rip the floor up. I posted about this in my bus project. While it looks good you will not know the condition of whats under and if there is an issue you will find out at some point.

For me it helped show leaks from the heaters, allowed me to fill the holes from the seats and such, also showed where the rust is. Know that when a kid pukes inside or just needs to be cleaned there is little doubt that it was hosed out. Dont foget that school bus smell is partially coming from that floor. Almost fogot to mention that having no floor helped see that the doors leaked a bit as well.

If I had a bus that was brand new, knowing how the floor is put in I would still pull it to plug holes and get that rubber smell out and get some road noise reduction. I say that even after pulling a floor and knowing how much work it was. My floor looked great too when the seats were out.
Crozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor prep