Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Floorplan ideas for the Magic Bus

Here is my current thinking about potential floorplans. The grey rectangles off to the side represent 50 gal. tanks that will be underneath on the sides. Anyone have any feedback or ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
floorplan1.jpg   Floorplan2.jpg   Floorplan3.jpg  

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Floorplan ideas for the Magic Bus

In the plan with window A/C the plan is to have the whole unit inside the bus, with a vent over the window, and a way to close it off during cold months. It would essentially sit in a cabinet. I've seen this in at least one other skoolie on this site, and I like the idea of not having the box stick outside the bus especially on the side, where it would obstruct my rear view. I don't like the idea of a window unit in the back, because I've read that they suck exhaust into the bus.

Any thoughts on this? Do the rooftop A/C units run off 12v or 120v? I figure they are more expensive, and the interior part would stick down far enough for me to be bumping my head on it all the time unless mounted in the far back of the living area, but then the top unit would obstruct my roof rack plans and all the junk I want to put up there.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 10-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Thanks for the feedback Smitty.
In regards to the 50 gal WVO drums in the back, they will be in and out of the bus depending on my need. For long trips they will be used for collecting raw WVO from restaurants. They need to be upright for reasons I won't elaborate on here, so I can't mount them underneath the bus. So the only option is in the garage, or build a back porch. I don't want the bus to be any longer than it is. Plus, I want to be a bit incognito about my WVO burnin'. Some states are a bit uptight about that. The arrangement of the barrels in the garage is uncertain at this point. I need to see them in the bus to really get a sense of the space. I'll try to put them somewhere where I can use the space above them for storage.

So if I have the window A/C unit sitting in a cabinet that is completely insulated from the inside of the bus, and vented through a window, wouldn't that solve the problem of venting my cooled air? I wish I could find the example I found before - I think it was somewhere in the gallery, but I can't remember which bus. I can't really mount the A/C in the rear of the bus, because I'd just be cooling my garage, which I want to be insulated from the rest of the bus due to the stink of the WVO.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 10-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #4
Bus Nut

There was a Crown Bus that was in the gallery that had a window shaker AC that had a special box that it sat in. The back half of the box was mostly open, and the window where it sat was replaced with a louvered panel. But I cant find the bus now.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Hmmm... so to make this work, I would have to be sure the back of the A/C is just about flush with the outside wall so the condenser vents directly outside, and therefor the intake will not be affected by the condenser vented air. Also, I would have to make a compartment that is impervious to water, and which slopes down to a drain that would allow the condensation to go down a tube that leads down and out the bottom of the bus so it can drip on the street.

Would that be a workable plan?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 10-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Here is an interesting idea from "Sporty Rick's" bus: http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... t.JPG.html

Dan
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 10-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpolakow
Not sure about your state but here in CT the DMV made us build a firewall between our WVO and living spaces. We had a door like you want and they said it was a no go.
Thanks for the tip, but that won't be a problem for me. The indoor WVO storage is just that: storage. I just won't even have the barrels in there at the time of inspection.
viewtopic.php?t=4959