Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Fluids Questions (More Noob Questions)

I have a 91 ford B700 6.6 diesel.

Today the local "Advance Auto" part store is starting a half off of all fluids sale (they are re-locating to a different store). I was curious as to what kind of oil I should buy. I figured since fluids would be half off I would run there and buy a few gallons of trans/oil/wiper/coolant/power steering/brake fluids.
I have looked through all the papers I received when I purchased the bus and I cannot find anything regarding it.
For some reason I want to say 15w-40, but I wanted to come here and ask the more knowledgeable.

TLDR:
I need to get an oil change, what kind of oil should I get?

Also what kind of tranny fluid should I get (I have the Allison AT545 4-speed)? (I have looked on dipstick and it doesn't say which kind it takes)
Also should I get dot 3 or dot 4 break fluid?
CStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 623
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
15w40 oil. In whatever flavor you like. I prefer shell rotella (everybody will have a different choice, some more opinionated then others). I doubt you'll find any use out of synthetic, but if you plan on driving tens of thousands of miles, and if it's cheap, then a synthetic will be better.

Your atf in an at545 will be just regular dexIII/mercon. Anything that meets Allison C4 specs will work. Once again, you can try synthetic, but if you're not traveling a lot it loses it's benefits.

DOT 3 and 4 are both compatible. Dot 4 has a higher boiling point, so if they cost the same, go with 4.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,402
Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
i think you are on the mark for oil.

here is the link for allsion tran fluids.....
On-Highway Fluids
__________________
.
Turfmobile Build Thread
turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah45828 View Post
15w40 oil. In whatever flavor you like. I prefer shell rotella (everybody will have a different choice, some more opinionated then others). I doubt you'll find any use out of synthetic, but if you plan on driving tens of thousands of miles, and if it's cheap, then a synthetic will be better.

Your atf in an at545 will be just regular dexiii/mercon. Anything that meets allison c4 specs will work. Once again, you can try synthetic, but if you're not traveling a lot it loses it's benefits.

Dot 3 and 4 are both compatible. Dot 4 has a higher boiling point, so if they cost the same, go with 4.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
i think you are on the mark for oil.

here is the link for allsion tran fluids.....
On-Highway Fluids
So anything on that list would be idea for me right?
CStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 28
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
15W-40 is almost every case I've ever heard of what you want to use for diesel engines.

Personally, I like to use about 20-25% Lucas Oil Stabilizer to every oil change for maximized engine life. Granted, it's a 3.0L gasoline engine, but my Ford Ranger has about a quarter of a million miles on it, and from the way it sounds, it probably has another quarter million left in the engine before I will NEED to do a rebuild.

Considering the sale that Advanced Auto is doing, I would also buy some other Lucas branded additives, like their fuel-treatment/upper cylinder lubricant, maybe even their brake fluid additive as well. Some Marvel Mystery Oil is also good for cleaning out the top of the engine if you add it to your fuel, but I don't like to use that stuff unless I am planning a major cleaning immediately after using it.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Stu & Filo. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vacaville, Ca
Posts: 1,520
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
As far as synthetics go this is my experience, I had 6 cummuter vans that I transported people to work and back & there are many other coworkers that run their own vans.I had at one time 6 vans 2 where brand new when I bought them & I changed all fluids to Amsoil. every single van that I owned and my coworkers had to have the transmissions replaced between 1000000 to 1200000 miles. every one. the 2 new vans I had one went 4000000 miles before it needed a trans.the other one which I sold but still is drive is over 6000000 miles. fluids are changed every 1000000 miles. So needless to say I put Amsoil in everything
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:20 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 6,158
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The new gen Allisons require the long life Transynd tranny fluid to keep up the warranty. And from the reports I've read...it is worth the money. Just keep the heat below 250. Lower temps = longer fluid life.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,402
Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Your atf in an at545 will be just regular dexIII/mercon. Anything that meets Allison C4 specs will work. Once again, you can try synthetic, but if you're not traveling a lot it loses it's benefits.
that link above was to the approved synthetics.......Booyah is right with what he also says.

as well as, my 1993 AT545 dipstick is stamped "use dexron"
__________________
.
Turfmobile Build Thread
turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 29
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate all the help.

Forgot to mention, if anyone is interested in the half off sale it is at Advance Auto (north store) in Marion IN, 46952.
CStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #10
Bus Crazy
 
Stu & Filo. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vacaville, Ca
Posts: 1,520
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
As far as synthetics go this is my experience, I had 6 cummuter vans that I transported people to work and back & there are many other coworkers that run their own vans.I had at one time 6 vans 2 where brand new when I bought them & I changed all fluids to Amsoil. every single van that I owned and my coworkers had to have the transmissions replaced between 1000000 to 1200000 miles. every one. the 2 new vans I had one went 4000000 miles before it needed a trans.the other one which I sold but still is drive is over 6000000 miles. fluids are changed every 1000000 miles. So needless to say I put Amsoil in everything

Sorry that was supposed to be thousands not millions, switching up my readers:ee k:
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.