Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummings
Flushing with grey water

While doing the plumbing design for my upcoming conversion, I did a fair amount of reading on the various boards to come up with ideas. I liked what a few folk have done with a hot water return at the various fixtures that let the standing water flow back into the fresh tank for several seconds instead of dumping it down the drain, so the pink lines back from each of the sinks and the shower are for that. The hot water heater has not been drawn in yet as I'm still looking over a solar solution for on top the bus (something similar to the swiming pool heaters they use here in FL).

I've read on several of the tip sites that boondockers will recycle their shower water to flush the toilet with by standing in a pan while showering. My question for the group is, would there be any problem with flushing the toilet with water from the grey tank? Put an 'on demand' pump there with a big screen filter on in maybe? I was thinking I could just drop one of those commercial sanitizing cakes in the grey tank from time to time to keep the smell down.

Inquiring minds want to know

w1bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
I think the big problem would be that eventually you would get a buildup of crud in your toilet from the gray-water: hair, grease, soap scum, etc. Some of that could be strained out, but not all.

I eat a lot of canned fish....wouldn't want herring oil in my flush toilet...

But if you have a separate graywater tank just for the shower and bathroom sink, it might not be too bad. Part of it would depend on how delicate your toilet is.

On the other hand....

You could use a solar still to distill the water. A 1 square meter still will process about 5 gallons of water a day. Plenty of room on top of a stationary bus to mount a few square meters of solar still!
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote