Old 01-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #11
Bus Crazy
Re: Flying for the skoolie

Of all the "trip home" stories with diesels I have heard here over the years, I will stress 2 words: fuel filters.

I don't know how many of the stories I've read where diesel buses worked OK in the lot, but during the second hour or second day they just lost power. After replacing the aging fuel filters (some chassis are said to take 2 or 3) and getting all the air out of the fuel lines, they ran fine again.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
Bus Nut
Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Flying for the skoolie

X2 on the fuel filters.

buying a bus that's been sitting for a while, that was my main concern. mine was advertised as ran when parked. needs batteries. before cranking the starter, i pulled some fuel from the tank to make sure it was still clean. it was and there wasnt much in tank. i started the bus and filled it with fresh diesel. the bus didn't seem to have any issues but part of that oil change back home was new filters on everything.
Turfmobile Build Thread
turf is online now   Reply With Quote