Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Ford 300/6 ???

Hey Everyone...

Is anyone familiar with Ford 300 inline 6 cylinder engines?
I have had more than one recommendation to swap the 330 FT engine in my '68 Ford bus "Olde Skool" for a 300 6.
I was curious to see if anyone has done this before and if so what was involved in doing the swap.

Thank you,
KaptnKAOS
aka
Allan

Olde Skool '68 Ford Bluebird bus "Shorty"
https://rides.webshots.com/album/559029491BwEQCZ
KaptnKAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:37 AM   #2

Year: 1979
Engine: DT466
Re: Ford 300/6 ???

while I can't say much about the swap..I can say that the Ford 300 inline 6 is one tough engine...Grandfather had one in a 1966 F250 that he hauled grain in (got to love those farmers)..and I know it could drag just about anything down the road...60foot mobile homes, combines, semi tractor *S* there wasn't much I wouldn't hook onto and drag to tell the truth...
temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Bus Geek

the ford 300 straight 6 is a bulletproof motor for a pickup truck

like most skoolie motors i'm sure it'll be short on power for a bus application.

not sure how well it'll do in the skoolie application either. it will have to work a lot harder in a bus than in a pickup.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Hey lapeer20m,

My understanding is that there are differant 300's. One that was used in light duty pickups and an industrial version that was used in medium-heavy duty trucks. The stock industrial version is supposed to pump out right at 170 horses (which is only a few less than the 330 FT). There are many aftermarket parts available to boost the horse power with out losing the low end torque. The added advantage, as I understand it, is parts availibilty and cost, not to mention slightly improved gas milage.
I have lost contact with a guy who knew all about doing this swap... he lives in a skoolie in Alaska and is very knowledgeable about these old Ford buses. His computer went out so he hasn't been available for a couple or months now. I learned more about my bus "Olde Skool" from him than anyone.
One of the guys at fordification.com went up to visit him. The gentleman is doing fine, but getting a new computer just isn't very high on his priority list... Hopfully he will come back online soon, or I will run into someone else who knows these old Ford buses.

Take care,
KaptnKAOS

Old 07-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I got a little more info today on the industrial 300/6

"The industrial 300's were in bread trucks, Dump trucks, etc. Some of the differences are low low compression, like 7:1., Forged Crank Shaft, Bigger carb, and exhaust. By bigger exhaust I mean the stock log manifold has a 2.25" exit for all 6 cyls, whereas the HD300 had a 2.5" exit, so flow better. "

Still trying to find info on doing the actual swap to see if it is even feasible.

KaptnKAOS