Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Fortifiying Your Bus Against Intruders Or Attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Why even bother owning a handgun? You have wheels & a motor....and there's always dialing 911. Hell, I wouldn't even lock the doors if I were you The more you're out in BFE, the more people you're going to run across there who are there for the same reason(s), to get away from others. Not all of them respect other peoples property, and I'm sure chucking some lead at vehicles isn't totally unheard of.

Now factor-in our world today, mass unemployment, forclosure, those darn infidels who refuse to grovel at the feet of the Halfrican......you may not be aware of it, but this country is setting on a slow-boil, and its not gonna take much to bump the heat-up alittle. Now keeping all that in mind, protecting ones self is FAR from "tin-foilish". I mean.....what's YOUR lives worth?

Besides....there's always those damn pesky zombies.........
Smitty
I think you assume I dont understand the world, or what it means to boondock. I spent over 8 months sleeping every single night in a tiny rv this year. Parking in everything from out of business truck stops to the sides of roads in the middle of nowhere Nevada. I understand. The gun I would want simply as a last defense....i.e. I wake up to someone walking in. My point is....its a bus. I think most of us got into this to have something different and fun and enjoy ourselves and life on the road....not to create a panic room on wheels. I am not saying that protecting yourself when needed is bad. I am saying that I haven't seen a single story on this forum where something more than a gun wouldn't have sufficed. Seems to be a ton of thought, effort, time, and money that is way overkill, and quite frankly militia sounding. Building a bulletproof house isn't high on most of our radars, and by your assessment it wont take much for the infidels to come a shooting. I know there are drivebys, but I am certainly not letting something that happens to .00001% of our population dictate my life. And lets be real honest here. If you are dealing with people that aren't scared of you shooting back....then bulletproofing isnt going to work either. They will set the thing on fire, maybe throw some napalm, or worse yet dig a moat. Im just saying preparing for a possible bad situation is fine....preparing your bus to last a RPG from Iraq is paranoid.

Do you think the zombies would be scared of me naked Smitty? I could do the Macarena.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:40 AM   #22
Bus Nut

That was... Interesting... Best suggestion so far was the Semi-Naked Sword Dancing. (He has a hat after all!)

My thoughts on the matter...
1. Noah's Ark Method. Carry two of a gun. Load one with live ammo, load the second with blanks. When threatened, fire off a shot or two with the "Blank" gun. You can always go for the "Live" gun if you really have to.

2. Half-n-Half. Load your gun with one or two blanks and the rest live. You fire the blanks to scare them off, but if you have to use live ammo, its in the gun.

3. Paintball Gun. They do make paintballs filled with Pepper Spray. I have even heard of some people making their own paintballs. I remember hearing friends talking about people using frozen paintballs about 12 years ago, but that stopped when the makers starting using some sort of Anti-freeze agent in them. If your going to use metal balls, you have to increase the pressure at which you fire them out of the gun, but I dont know enough to say if the gun would even handle the pressure needed to fire it.

4. Bear Spray. I have a friend who use to drive a taxi. He use to carry a can of Bear Spray that was tied down and aimed through a hole into the back. He also carried a small one that he would show off in plain sight. He never used them, and ended up giving them to me... Its kinda amazing how people that use to give me dirty looks as I walk down the street, dont do that anymore as I shake a small black can of "Defense Spray"... Sometimes, the best defense is to "Come out looking for a fight".

I was thinking of adding Psychological to the list... Blaring songs like "Barbi Girl" and just about anything from "Spice Girls", Death Metal, etc.... But then I think that it might cause them to shoot more in hopes that they hit the speakers or whatever is playing them... But in general, if you pull into a spot and it just doesnt feel right, move on.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:08 AM   #23
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

Seriously Cheese, you say there is no need to have a bulletproofed home because of the low risk of attack from that .00001% of society. Now, I dont see the news channels filled with stories of widespread attacks against RV campers. Drive-by shootings at residences happen much more often, even in rural areas. Had one around here recently that resulted in a fatality, buckshot through the bedroom window in the middle of the night...

I have search and found your report on your "attack". While I commiserate with you on the situation, there is a huge difference between a vandalism problem in a rural area with neighbors unfriendly to the idea of a school bus parked long term and the rather mythic risk of being attacked while camping in a RV.

Frankly, I would let the landowner fix his problems with his neighbors in a manner that didnt involve myself in any direct way. It is, after all, his property, his HOA that he signed his rights away to. I would pull my bus and let the landowner put a shipping container in its place. I would help him set up the video surveillance systems, but I damn sure wouldnt be checking the video if I felt it were a dangerous situation. Let the landowner do that.

Now, as far as the Apocalypse/Mad Max/Land of the Apes/The Gauntlet scenarios...ya gotta be kidding me!
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:13 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

deleted as duplicate post
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:13 AM   #25
Bus Nut

I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about armoring my bus as well. But after thinking about it for a while, I realized the bus's greatest contribution to safety is the ability to MOVE. Unfortunately, it is also the bus's greates liability. The tires and brake lines are very vulnerable. Take them out of commission, and I'd be trapped. That's when armoring the walls would make some sense. But would the trade-off in weight and resultant horrible MPG be worth it? Personally, I don't think so. But that's just me.

I have no idea what your situation is, so it's hard to offer real advice.

Some thoughts...
1) Mobility: If you highly mobile and able to move to a new location, then getting out of a bad situation to fight another day is the best option. Augment the mobility with camera surveilance so you can gather evidence against the offenders to provide to the local law enforcement. It's hard to argue with being "caught-on-tape". To protect yourself against over zealous law enforcement, consider using non-lethal methods of protection. High freqency sound can be aimed at the offenders and is quite painful. The aforementioned pepper spray is also highly effective, as long as you don't get caught in the resulting gas. Tazers (if allowed in your area) are good too. Lastly, I'd personally fall back on a good old fashioned "walking stick". In the right hands, a 3/4" cane can disable an opponent and give you the opportunity to get out.

2) Stationary: If you are tied to the land, either through ownership or mechanical problems, then falling back on personal defensive weaponry is allowed by the law. Again, if it were me, I'd start with the non-lethal deterrents, then use deadly force as a last resort. The degree to which you are allowed to use deadly force varies depending on your location. Just be totally familiar with your local laws before taking such a drastic measure. I don't say this as an anti-gun stance, I'm saying this as a "stay out of jail" stance. I personally believe everyone should be allowed to carry a gun and be thoroughly trained in its use. So... now that that's out of the way...

If your vehicle is usually stationary at a "home base", I'd highly recommend berming your parking area up to a level of 4" or more (I'd go up to the window level). This amount of earth on both sides of the bus will do several things: a) protect the wheels - and sides if built high enough, b) provide some measure of camoflag - especially if you cover the roof with camo-netting, and c) provide a measure of insulation against weather. If you can, build a pull-through site. A "gate" at the ends of the berm will allow some measure of protection from casual vandalizm, but will allow you to pull out when necessary. I'd also highly recommend the trapdoor alternative too. There's no reason to be trapped like a fish in a barrel when mobility is always your best bet.

Whatever you choose to do, be flexible. Create alternative plans for a variety of scenarios. And most importantly, plan for your plans to go wrong, because Mr. Murphy is on the side of the bad guys.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON
but as to the aircraft carrier, true. It also holds much more air than it displaces water. What I meant by that is that a simple piece of concrete that can float in water is quite extraordinary. When was the last time you heard of a concrete block floating in water?
I assume this "concrete" is actually a very very hard open cell material, I assume the term "concrete" is applied as a general term, because of its texture, apperance, and replacement usage. I mean its obviously not concrete in a traditional sense, since its not heavy or brittle. So if its not traditional concrete, what exactly makes it conctrete? I figure its just marketing...

whatever it IS though, its going to be open cell, causing it to float be light etc...

The aircraft thing was not serious btw, I just thought your wording was funny. because heavy things float all the time.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Wow, this thread is nuts. I think some of you guys are watching way to much T.V. I would suggest converting a bus and going camping, or fishing, or to the races or Burning Man and leaving the apocalypse to Hollywood. A guy could even enjoy building his own conversion and live safely and without being attacked in the boonies if it wasn't for the zombies. Don't forget the zombies. Personally I don't fear zombies because I know Smitty is armed and dangerous.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

But post apocolyptic survival is where its at man...
Old 10-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #29
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Nope, not at all, but I can't recall if you live in your bus? And again.....times they are a changin'. People tend to be alot less nicer when they haven't (and their families) eaten for days, and will rob, cheat, and steal to do so. If you can park your bus there, the local PD can patrol it, so what makes you think they don't? How can you say they didn't drive by nightly?

How many times do presidential cars get attacked, yet look at how their built, look at all the underground shelters in DC, look at Cheyenne Mountain. It's up to an individual (or group) to determine their perceived threat-level, and a means of protection. Are people who have tornado/bomb shelters "mental"? If you were their neighbor, and suddenly a threat materialized....then you wouldn't run over asking to be saved?

If you think just because "it isn't on the news, so it must not happen".....well, you know the rest....... . Maybe you should spend a few nights in Indianapolis , or better yet, Gary, Indiana. People have to get close enough to your bus to cause it damage, I wear a sidearm 24/7/365, never leave home without it and sleep with it in arms reach. My bus will have 4-side exterior cameras (with night vision), and there are always ways to secure the area around a bus with noisemakers. So if someone is approaching me with a bottle & flaming rag sticking out the top, or a moat-digging backhoe.....neither are going to like nor survive my reaction if they continue their approach following a brief and 1-time warning.Smitty
I understand that all Smitty. But you cant possibly be comparing the president to anyone of us. Or comparing our buses to missile silos in cheyenne. i agree it is up to ourselves. i am all for personal responsibility. anything else turns into communism. but i will say that i feel a lot less comfortable thinking about crazy people fortifying their buses with a WWIII arsenal than i do at the slight possibility of someone coming at my bus with more than a pistol. as for indy and gary....i spent 3 nights in my rv in gary this year, 2 in indy. when i say i live in it 8 months out of the year, i mean it. i didnt sleep in anything other than my rv from january till september. and i stay in a lot of unsavory areas. im a white guy that stayed the night in compton in my rv this year. i understand the dangers, but i also understand the dangers of paranoia.

as for my final point i believe this video says it all:
Old 10-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:
bikeforthelight wrote:
as for my final point i believe this video says it all:
So, without background music and a Braveheart sword, "Naked Sombrero Man" isn't fearful after all.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott
A guy could even enjoy building his own conversion and live safely and without being attacked in the boonies if it wasn't for the zombies. Don't forget the zombies. Personally I don't fear zombies because I know Smitty is armed and dangerous.
FROM: http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/10/0...ove/index.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
...<snip> zombie movies are remarkably resilient ...<snip>... appeal that can be measured in such things as a 74,000-member Facebook group titled "The Hardest Part of a Zombie Apocalypse Will Be Pretending I'm Not Excited."

To promote his books, Brooks travels the country talking about the undead menace. Instead of questions about writing, he said he often gets asked about the best type of ammunition to kill a zombie or the best way to prepare your house for the coming onslaught.

"I'd say 90 percent are saying, 'We all know it's fake; we're playing along,' " he said. "The other 10 percent are saying, 'We're ready!'

"And I'd say 10 percent of that 10 percent can't wait for it to happen."

Just cuz yer nutz, don't mean the squirls ain't out ta gitcha!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

I got an email from a list server today that indicated the University of Florida had a "zombie attack" emergency plan among others listed on its e-Learning Support Services web site. Unfortunately, it is no longer there, so we are on our own again, though in this report there are some quotes from the plan that may be helpful:

http://chalkboard.blogs.gainesville....-zombie-attack
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #33
Bus Nut

DON'T FEAR THE ZOMBIES!
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #34
Skoolie

Smitty...i completely agree. i dont have a problem with a collection...or even an arsenal....my point is just that in my humble opinion, we can go too far and it becomes paranoia. but i am totally fine with protecting myself and loved ones. i fear that if we put too much focus on all this stuff though we start focusing on protecting our loved ones and stop enjoying time with our loved ones because we are all focused on the safety. id rather die happy, then live paranoid. maybe thats just me. haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
So, without background music and a Braveheart sword, "Naked Sombrero Man" isn't fearful after all.
im glad you see my point. with out the music and sword your just a naked idiot.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Something we are overlooking with bulletproofing a bus...

Ok so zombies are everywhere: Napalm, flame throwers, and shotguns are at the ready. The bus is bulletproofed and ready to roll.

BUT wait, what about the radiation fallout?

Serious think about it...No ammount of protection against the crazies, cannies, and zombies, is worth a **** if the air kills you.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #36
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

You could get Dirty Harry to protect you bus...
Attached Thumbnails
Dirty-Harry-movie-18[1].jpg  

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Lol but I was serious...
Radiation is a very real possible threat that could pose a very real possible problem in a post apocoliptic setting...But your right it could possibly de-rail the threads focus so sorry didnt mean to hijak your thread.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #38
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

Quote:
Or just BE Harry yourself.........
I ALREADY DO!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0781.JPG  

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Hey Cheese, Here it is. Only in America my friend!

Blue Bird Bus with Standard Bullet Resistant Glass (Advanced Blast Protection OneWay™ bullet resistant glass and floor cover option available). Materials tested to NIJ Level III to defend against 7.62 x 51mm M80 US Military designation/NATO Ball. Also resists M16 5.56 x 45 SS109 NATO, 7.62 x 39mm AK47; Full Metal Jacket. Automated armored entry door, sliding armored emergency door. Batteries, fuel tank, air and controls protected. Seating for 34.

http://www.labock.com/english/vehicles.htm

They offer it in a "kit" form for the blue bird body.
Attached Thumbnails
bluebird-front-back.jpg  
Old 10-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Must be for those inner city routes. Los Angeles... Chicago... New York... all potential customers.

Smitty, you take the prize for best looking alternative vehicle! Love that second beastie! Looks like something from the original Battlestar Galactica series! (yeah, I'm a geek at heart).