Old 09-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #201
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1951
Coachwork: Wayne/ IHC
Chassis: L-163 International
Engine: SD240 / 4 sp.
Rated Cap: 39
Re: Fortifiying Your Bus Against Intruders Or Attack?

Claydbal, I like the way you think,but I would never waste good bacon bits. How about if I just dip the tips of my supply of steel core 7.62x54r into that pig blood you are so rightly dead set on using and let it dry after the flies have laid eggs on it? I can't think of how I would use it or why I would need it, but my Mosin Nagant 9130 with these rounds will penetrate 1/2" tempered steel armor or range targets. These Russian infantry bolt rifles are readily available for about $150 and "Ammo to Go" has these cartridges in stock on sale right now for $104. for a 440 round spam can. You read that right. A GREAT rifle and 440 rounds of absolutely devastating ammo for $250. Put two or three of those in your bus gun rack. Expect 2" groups @ 100yds. Not exactly a tack driver but with some trigger work and handloads they are pretty good for hunting larger game or whatever. If you want one you'd better act soon before they are banned or the EPA bans lead or rifle powder or some other infringement the democrat progressives are working on. Bet on that. Sorry to get political about everything but if you want to retain the freedom to roam America in your bus and be able to actually defend yourself and your family and property effectively, you had better quit supporting democrat progressives, or commies as I call them. They have politicized EVERY aspect of your life. Tell me I'm wrong?
Tbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:56 AM   #202
Mini-Skoolie

Gee Claydbal, Richard Brautigan? High praise indeed! Thank you for the compliment. May the tailwinds of good fortune forever blow you!
Old 09-22-2014, 01:15 AM   #203
Mini-Skoolie

Claydbal, When I say "you" I mean the freedom loving bus dwellers and dreamers at large. Not you specifically with the politics. Hope that's clear. I too plan most trips into the hinterlands and avoid urban squalor like the plague. But it does piss me off that there are fewer places to go and really feel like a Free American. Fewer everyday. I'm not sad, I'm mad.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #204
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65

America is in the same place it has been since the revolution. reference mason-dixon. BUT, the commies have crept into almost every nook and crannie to establish camp in every state. these camps are now called cities. the cancer starts in the downtown or central area and spreads outwards, driving the Americans to the outer fringes. as the normal folks leave their homes to escape, those homes are filled by the commies. the cancer grows outwards and the cycle continues until the town is completely involved and the last Americans are in the rural areas, -------having to commute through the vermin to get to their jobs. this move and commute drives up cost of living and drops the comfortably middle class to the lower class. as this class exchange happens, the lower class becomes the new middle class as gubmit subsidies provide a better quality of life to them and they are able to gain control of the towns government! one they control the governments of all the towns and metro areas, they easily gain control of state governments and as we see now, federal govenment! the country is now at the hands of the commies and it cant be fixed without the same actions that fixed it the first time. if we hadnt whipped em during the revolution and then the civil war, you and i wouldnt be posting on the internet, we would have been born as commies (as most children are today) and would have never known the history of this great country (as most children dont today).

so, the only way i see spending the last years of my life as an American is to stay in the small pockets of this country that are still America. very little of the south, little of the midwest, and the wide open areas of the west are all that are left. as the mexicans and terrorists are imported and deposited in these areas, the cancer starts and the cycles begin......................how long before we free thinking peoples are hiding in forests like merry men and resorting to robin hoods ideas for survival? what happens when the commies spend the last of the money and food stamps quit being refilled and subsdidised power is turned off? can you imagine a starving furguson? how about thousands of starving, rioting cities?

no, im really not doomsdayish or radical survivalist. i have enjoyed where we were and can see where we are headed. being a motorcyclist me entire life, i have seen freedoms and ways of life few others have even imagined. that has dissapeared, forever.
food for thought.

and yes, brautigan was genious!!!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #205

I'm almost hesitant to respond to this thread being a newb, but...

Some disclosures: Former Coastie and all too familiar with ship boarding for interdiction. Have worked as an LEO both federally and locally. Currently own a firearms training business with a focus on the tactical end of defensive application. I train everyone from Joe Schmoe, motivated self defenders, security personnel, and LEOs. I could list out all my currently held and formerly held certifications, but...boring.

The way I see this discussion, the idea here is to create a bunker to ride-out some kind of assault. I don't think this practical and I certainly don't believe it to be a sound tactic. It is a mobile shelter, not a bunker. Assuming the bad guys are still on the outside of your bus when you realize an assault is underway, then the trick is simply keeping them at bay until you can get the -blank- out of the danger zone. You could use suppressive fire, I guess. Chemical agents (bear spray) are beyond silly, most especially since you are in a large can and that stuff will find a way back in. Hanguns are pretty much useless weight in a firefight that isn't contained to a small area. Rifles are wonderful, but you've got to swing them around 360 if you're defending your big can with wheels. Besides all of that, one or two (even well trained individuals) can't possibly hope to hold off numbers of any significance; just too many angles to cover competently.

Unless you are wiling to seriously armor that thing, you're only sane option is retreat. Call it a tactical retreat if you're sensitive to the word, but do it!

People often snicker at this thought, but I've seen it work first-hand far too many times to dismiss it. It is absolutely non-lethal and there is nothing illegal about it. You can't be charged with misusing a product (like hornet spray) by an overzealous prosecutor. The idea is also very inexpensive, easy to install, and easy to deploy. It is effective in any weather and on any person, regardless of their training.

Really bright friggin lights. Get some halogen construction lights at Harbor Freight for next to nothing and line the perimeter of the roof. I would embed them into the body personally, but roof installation would be a breeze. If you are threatened, just hit a switch. I don't care who you are, or how good/tough you claim to be, once I've removed your ability to see you aren't going to be able to aim at a dang thing. At a minimum, I've bought myself 20 seconds of get the hell out time. By foot or by vehicle, I've now got the mobility I need to pick my place to stand and fight.

I have seen 500+ lumen lights immediately diffuse a hostile threat. I've seen it work in full daylight and against both two-legged and four-legged threats. And let's face it, the odds of something like this happening are slim. The odds of them happening in daylight are even slimmer. So you'll be dealing with thugs that are embracing their night vision. God help them if they're wearing night-vision goggles; other than the really high-end ones. The shift from night vision to brighter than daylight from your lights, is going to overwhelm their visual system and disorient to boot! It is amazing how fast a bright light to the eyes will take the fight out of someone. Even if they remain motivated, the advantage belongs to you. If nothing else, you've just lit up your field of combat and put the sun to your back. Again, you've got about 20 seconds to do whatever your plan calls for you to do. In a gun-battle, 20 seconds is 10 lifetimes.

Bright lights on my perimeter and an exit in the floor of the bus; that's how I'd handle it. Hell, if there are only four or five baddies, taking them out in a prone firing position from under the bus while they are blinded would be easier than most of the drills at my range.

Anyway, just light em up! When you awake from your testosterone fueled dream, the birds will be chirping and the imagined threat will have melted away with the sunrise.
Semper Paratus...always!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #206
Mini-Skoolie

I don't play survivalist but I try to plan ahead for things I may or may not need. I would rather have something I don't need than need something I don't have. That's why there is a fire extinguisher in every vehicle I drive. Being an iron head Harley rider ['72 XLCH]I carry a small tool kit in an Egyptian army ammo pouch that has every tool I could need to do most things from spare points, plugs & condenser to a chain breaker. I choose tools I know can perform a specific task. My 3/8 x 1/4 drive socket is not just part of a cheapo set. It is a Proto 12 point that is deeper than normal but shorter than a true deepwell. It is crucial to servicing my battery box. I have dozens of 3/8s in my shop, and I use them as I please, but on the road I feel secure knowing I have the one tool required to service the only 3/8 pain in the ass nut on the entire bike. My point is this; this tool is seldom needed on the road but this specific socket is VITAL should need to be called upon to do it's one and only purpose. This is how I actually feel about my firearms as well. I have several for several different uses but unless I'm going to our private range my Mosin Nagant is not likely to be on the bus. Nor my 870 or 03 Springfield etc. But you can bet that my Ruger LCP .380 is "handy" wherever I may be. I made a pocket holster for it out of a biker type wallet [with the chain] that is just about the size of a fat normal wallet. Carries very well and is smaller than the Sneaky Pete but is not made to be fast like the S P. It is made to be where I need it, ON ME! I agree with Canibal. Get the hell out of there if you can! Clayd, you are right about communism.I think most of them have no real idea what they are doing and who they are supporting. They are the "useful idiots". We need to start calling commies what they are. Commies. I think America is headed for trouble. I may not put an M-60 turret on my bus just yet but I might be prepared to bug out in a well "stocked" vehicle that can sustain itself for awhile. I DO think our Country will turn around and this "progressive" crap will be shown for what it is. Who knows what it will take or how long.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:12 AM   #207
Site Team

I got it and agree about retreating for tactical and resupply of important things like; pork BBQ and wine

so how about we.....pop smoke and break out some PORK-O-FLAGE ???????

or just roll it all the time
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #208
Site Team

agree, cannibal, best bet is to GTF out of there as quickly as possible. and the light thingy would be great, but we wouldnt have the power needed if boondocking. i can forget the ruuning through the woods bit also... my running days are over, maybe a really fast hover-round??

tbart, u are a tough bird if you still ride an ironhead. i left many transmission parts on the dragstrip from ironheads.i moved to twin cam, then back to evo for simplicity and ease of repair. ditto on the correct tools being readily accessible. i think the best tool would be the knowledge of where the trouble spots are, and to not be there! that why a bus is the most sensible housing. if trouble comes to your little bit of utopia, you can turn the key and move. being well stocked and able to get water will allow that move to happen without starving, but being able to see the gauntlet tightening is best bet i think. for example, the area i live now is heavily populated with crackheads and meth users. i am completing a plan to move before they start increasing the size of their circle of crime and break into my house looking for a way to buy their next fix. three hours from houston is a big circle, no?

remember the quickest ways to defeat? take out the communication,command, food/supply chain, and create a need for help for the sick and injured. communication will be easy, no power means no cell phones or computers. the command has already been removed. priced groceries laetley? between the dependence on fast food, and the overbuying of groceries by those with food stamps, there is little left for us and it is very expensive, so how ya gonna get groceries? looking at how they are allowing eboli patients to be brought into this country is bad, but to bring them to a different area each time is crazy and the only logic for that would be if someone actually wanted to create hotspots of ifection...ditto on the sick mexican kids being deposited in the midwest. seems American kids are already becoming infected with virii. so yes, the need for help has been established.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #209
Mini-Skoolie

Claydbal, Yes, I am tough but not as tough as I used to be. The '72 XLCH Sportster was HDs answer to the KZ900. Mine was up against the shed at a local HD repair and custom fab guys shop so I asked about it. "It will turn over halfway around then comes up against something hard in the bottom end" said my buddy Marty at Perverted Choppers. "The guy is a deadbeat and still hasn't paid me for the last time I worked on it. I might get a lien on the title and part it out. I'd like to put that kicker on my XLH" Long story longer, I tracked this lying loser down and bought it for $500.00 and pushed it home 3blks. That was my first taste of huffing and puffing and and bleeding with the old Sportster. I've had a lot of bikes but this was my first HD. I set out to learn, as I always do, and bought a service manual. But man it looked great! Stone stock except for a DS 1" solo seat [the XLCH never had provision for a passenger or turn signals or starter, just a brake & headlight] and drag bars on 4" risers. The last forged lug frame, stock front with 19" rim, a new Dunlop and original not very effective drum brake.Stock 2.2 gal sporty tank with brazing around the petcock and the reserve was blocked. About 1.5 gallons of usable fuel. 60 miles or so range. Baffled drag pipes were stock on XLCH. I enlisted the help of my buddy Marlin who owns a '74 XLCH and is a Harley pro wrench. "Yep, you got sumpin bad wrong in the bottom end but there is nothing that can't be fixed on this bike". We drained the oil and took the engine out of the frame and tore it down to the pistons protruding from the case on the bench in my shop. This is where it gets funny. The heads and pistons were close to perfect. Nothing wrong, no "obstructions". We were expecting to find chunks of something. Clean as a whistle. AND NOW, WITH THE OIL DRAINED AND THE HEADS AND CYLINDERS REMOVED THE BOTTOM END SPUN PERFECTLY WITH NO TROUBLE OR WEAR WHATSOEVER! My buddy Marlin,who knows these engines inside out,was baffled and getting pissed. "THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS THING! So deeper we went. Primary chain, sprockets, clutch, 4 sp trans all working flawlessly but out they came in the quest to find what the flywheels were hitting. Marlin expertly split the case and looked at the flywheels, roller bearings, rods & pins all in PERFECT CONDITION with virtually no wear and nothing "broken". There WAS a tiny mark on the flat part of one of the flywheels like a tiny center punch mark,but there was nothing for it to hit. We were baffled. The guy I bought it from SWORE ON HIS MOTHERS GRAVE "One day I was riding it, the next day I tried to start it and it kicked over halfway and the crank hit something hard that was in the crankcase." That's the way I got it, it could make about a quarter revolution and stopped hard with a clunk. With the engine now 100% taken down and NO problem to be found, Marlin was at a loss and ready to punt. I noticed that the tiny mark on the fly wheel was lined up with the oil drain hole in the bottom of the case. I then examined the crankcase drain plug. The stock drain plug is prone to leak and is threaded about 3/8 of an inch so it doesn't protrude inside the case. The drain plug on my bike was about an inch long and was in reality a Napa oil pan replacement plug. The former owner had LIED! He rode the bike and CHANGED THE OIL! HE THOUGHT HE WOULD FIX THE LEAK PROBLEM BY REPLACING THE DRAIN PLUG WITH ONE THAT WAS TOO LONG! That's what the fly wheel was hitting,the parts store drain plug. When I pointed this out to my buddy Marlin [He was now ready for retirement] He looked at me and said "You are the luckiest S.O.B. I've ever seen!" I said "Whattayamean lucky? we just blew my Sportster into a thousand pieces to fix the crank drain plug!" But it is all good. We rebuilt the trans with a new mainshaft and shifter forks, new clutch and primary chain adjuster, .030 pistons and valve job. Many things "As long as we have it apart". I painted the frame and got a later 3.3 gal tank, shorter rear shocks and basically got it just the way I like it with a '52 K model springer solo seat and a 16" fat rear. It's perfect and has been a joy to own. Believe me it gets a lot of attention. It won the big Angels Strawbale Saloon bike show in 2011. A real standout among the Road Kings and Electraglides it was up against. Very different from what most guys ride these days. Google that show. You can see my old iron head XLCH if you scroll through. But it IS an XLCH and as such it is difficult to start, rough to ride, and uncomfortable on long trips, requires endless service and adjustment. You must love that stuff to successfully own one. As my good friend and riding buddy Marlin said " It will always talk to you and tell you what it needs". Very true. I have logged 31000 miles on the XLCH since '05. It beats my 56 year old body up but every time I ride it I remember why I love it. A mechanical marvel. It tells the truth. My old bus has a similar story and feeling to it. 1951 IHC / Wayne L-163 short bus in really good shape for what it is. My Sportster can go up a ramp into the back. This meandering tale brings me to my main point. Think of all the trouble I could have saved had the jerk I bought my bike from simply told the truth. But then, "I'd of had to miss the dance". A life changing adventure that continues. As well with the condition our great Country is in. Had the Tom Brokaws and Charlie Roses and Katie Courics and Bill Oreillys and yes, Oprah Winfreys simply told the hard simple truth about Barack Obama, who and what he is. We could have saved a LOT of trouble for America. Let's see, mothers a commie, fathers a commie, all four of his grandparents were commies,[google The Little Red Church] Yes, that ww2 vet, white grandpa was an unapologetic communist. His mentor Frank Marshall Davis was a commie and his associates and friends were all commies. Most of his appointments [Van Jones, Valerie Jarret to name 2] are all commies. Yet after all this,Bill Oreilly can only summon "Oh sure,he's a far left guy". News flash Bill, "far left" is communism. PROGRESSIVE, a little at a time. These progs don't use the c word but are the real Marxist deal. Most of the evil in the world starts by omitting the WHOLE truth. My bus and my bike are both simple hard core machines that do not lie. Once I learned to speak their language. We understand each other perfectly and I can't be decieved by a "presumed" problem. I examine factual evidence and get to the bottom of it. Americans who love their country had better learn the language of progressive communism. That's the problem. We think we speak the same language but we don't. "Social Justice" and "Spreading the Wealth" and "Doing their Fair Share" all sound pleasant enough but have a much different meaning to a progressive commie than they do to a regular working class American. We need to learn to speak commie so we know what they are really saying. God Bless America!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #210
Site Team

lol, yeah man, you wouldnt believe the stories i could tell ya about bikes brought into my shop over the years. it got to the point i would tell the customer i no longer kick bikes. i would call them every time the motor needed turnin. sometimes they would suddenly remember the truth, other times they would say they would take it elsewhere. good to hear ya still ride that beast. they were (are) light , agile, and loads of fun. riding a motorcycle everyday is a great way to stay away from those commies as they probably will never be where you or i may go. after all, motorcycles allow freedoms.

maybe we could get sally struthers to stand beside a buncha runny nose, fly infested kids to raise enough money to return our country to democracy?