Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #41
Bus Nut

Re: Fortifiying Your Bus Against Intruders Or Attack?

Loss of points for bringing up Chump Norris.

What is that second one Smitty? It looks like the love child of the Bat Mobile and and armored personal carrier... I wonder what it would look like painted white with "San Quenton" painted down the side...

Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #42
Bus Nut

What facts? None of that stuff is actually true, just the usual garbage that people mouth off if. He has some skill in Martial Arts. Little, if any, in acting.

Now to go look up that vehicle. Thanks Smitty.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

I don't understand why so many think this subject is limited to those who think tin is the new fashion trend. A bus could easily be made into a great bug out vehicle(you could do better but only if you started out rich). First and foremost, and it has been mentioned...location, location, location. Situational awareness cannot be overlooked. The burm idea is a good one as well as the trap door and a lot of the ideas on making the bus bullet resistant would be doable considering the ingenuity around here...I mean look at how much thought and fabrication go into these things: Solar power, generators, wind turbines, jacuzzi tubs, if you can imagine it someone here appears to have either tried it or contemplated it. Those who want to dismiss the firearm are more than welcome to do so, although what would be the point. I would rather have a good rifle and sidearm(and be proficient at hitting what I aim at, quick mag changes, and clearing jams) than most of what has been mentioned here aside from good reinforced, non-rv, door locks. Better still, if things got really bad you could always high tail it to an isolated part of the continent and a firearm would be instrumental in putting food on the table. And nobody is advocating the notion that we must live in fear and paranoia, but I would also like the idea of having a nice revolver if I feel the need to go kayaking or mountain biking in bear country. I wonder if one could procure run-flat tires for a bus like the military uses. Your speed would be limited and you could only go so far before you had to change the tire, but still fast and far enough if your attackers or on foot or you are able to take out their transportation during the evac. To those who are worried about moving through states that have stringent firearm laws: for one thing it doesn't sound like a place I want to be if they feel the need to "grant" me rights that I already have, it's not like you have to keep these things on the kitchen table, and of course when asked..."well I had a few but they fell off the dock into the pond when I was fishing last week," or there's always the tried and true horrible boating accident excuse, and of course, "those aren't gun ports, they're for running extension cords out of the bus." As mentioned camo is also a good idea, but instead of replicating some type of rent-a-cop paint scheme I would suggest a floral arrangement with bright colors, peace signs, and doves. Attackers would come on overconfident, with their guard down, completely unaware that they were, in fact, about to try and overthrow a panzer tank disguised as the Easter Bunny.
crazyidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:51 AM   #44
Bus Nut

...can the pigeons hide claymores???

On the Smitty Front, What was on your post? I get very annoyed when I hear 5yo kids spouting that Chump Norris crap too. Just cause he knows Kempo (I'm pretty sure its kempo, been over ten years since I heard) doesnt make him bad ass. But I like that Kempo has several moves where you kill the guy by breaking his neck in various ways then smack him in the head to render him unconscious. My best friend's mother took Kempo and kept telling us about these moves when she learned them.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #45
Bus Nut

Oh yeah, Sorry. I saw the vehicle name and even looked it up... Trying to find inside pics now...

On the norris thing, You wouldnt believe all the people who think its true cause sooo many people claim it on the internet. Never underestimate the level of stupidity of people just because its said on the internet/TV/Radio/News Paper...

OK, Enough of this Tangent, Back on Topic. ^.^
Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #46
Bus Nut

I'm just currious as to what stove they used...

And that was one horrid photoshop...
Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #47
Bus Nut

The upper body of chuck, the lower body of who knows, the fact that they left a bunch of crap that they should have cut out from around the head... Horrid. Looks like something I have done. Only, I know I didnt do that. I have been known to do photoshops on Fark.com, but its been a while since I have bothered to even go to the site. Probably just do a search for me and add Fark to it. I pop up all over the place... Sometimes I wonder how I pop up at some places as I never joined their sites...

What topic was this again?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojakai
The upper body of chuck, the lower body of who knows, the fact that they left a bunch of crap that they should have cut out from around the head... Horrid. Looks like something I have done. Only, I know I didnt do that. I have been known to do photoshops on Fark.com, but its been a while since I have bothered to even go to the site. Probably just do a search for me and add Fark to it. I pop up all over the place... Sometimes I wonder how I pop up at some places as I never joined their sites...

What topic was this again?
Sojakai, Chill dude. the Chuck stuff was all a joke. You know jokes, don't ya? And the Roo picture w/ Chuck...... a joke. You're kind of critical on things, for someone with ADHD.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

I would move to texas to vote for him....that would be epic.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #50
Bus Nut

I tried to get it back to the listed topic... Oh well.

PB, your too uptight. You need to relax some and not crit over a few minor comments and one of which I aimed at myself. I understand that I am sometimes hard to read when I joke around. At least, I have been told that its hard to tell when I am joking sometimes. I guess I need to put my "Happy Eyes" on my joke comments. ^.^
Old 10-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #51
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

I have seen something about the dragon skin stuff somewhere. I think it was on "Future Weapons" on the Military channel. I dont remember for sure but wasnt it some sort of ceramic type stuff that shatters and absorbs the forward energy of the bullet in order to stop it?
It seems to me that I would want some armor inside of it to spread the impact force over a larger area. GRANTED, I'd prefer the pain and wicked nasty bruise and probable broken ribs left behind from being hit as opposed to the penetration of a bullet passing through my internal organs. It looked like some cool stuff though. I wonder what insulating properties it would have if you could skin the entire bus with it??

Now all we need to do is armor the underside of the bus like the Buffalo. I think that what its called. And add bullet proof glass.
And we will have to build a heavy thick steel box to cover up my roof AC. If someone shoots out my condenser and my AC dont work I'm gonna be SUPER PISSED!!

Someone mentioned Runflats.. No way! Get the rear section of a Halftrack and mount the bus on that. Solid rubber or foam filled tires on front. Crap, now we need to add air ride seats from a big truck so Smitty can ride and not compress all the vertabrae in his back.
Feel free to incorporate any of these ideas into your bus Smitty.

How about going amphibious? ................... ok I got no ideas for that.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #52
Bus Nut

There is a link to part of the Dragon Skin from Future Weapons. They tell how it works right off, so no waiting.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

As for going amphibious, wasn't there a guy several years ago who built an RV out of an old fuel trailer for just that purpose?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Nevermind the previous post. I found the vehicle I was looking for along with 9 other potential rides. The one from Australia really gives me some space ideas for if I ever get around to actually starting a skoolie...specifically the hydraulically raised bedroom on top of the contraption. Anyway, here's a link to Ten Best survival vehicles:

http://jalopnik.com/360213/the-ten-best ... l-vehicles
Old 10-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #55
Skoolie

Amphibious!!!!!

I wonder if they do bus conversions?

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
Old 10-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #56
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LR
Quote:
Or just BE Harry yourself.........
I ALREADY DO!!!
Is that a Springfield Sledgehammer?
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #57
Skoolie

yep good eye Smitty!

I figure I'm protected against anything. Should a rogue elephant or grizzly bear, or alien spacecraft piloted by alien zombies ever attack my bus, I can put holes in em!
And while I'm making my escape at 45 MPH, If they give chase, I bet I can put holes in their engine block!

IYAAYAS
Old 10-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Is that a Springfield Sledgehammer?
My guess is S&W .500

Smitty
That's a Springfield Sledgehammer. My uncle has one...yowza!
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #59
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

This could have been a good thread, except some seem to be of the opinion that since it's impossible or damn near unlikely to survive in a school bus facing a nuclear attack or attack from a trained and equipped military unit that there is simply no point in even trying to fortify against any potential scenario.
I think everyone will concede that unless you bury your bus underground and encase it in concrete, you're not gonna make a good fallout shelter out of it, and that little you do is going to protect you against a military assault. But what about the other 99.999% of things that you might encounter?

Life or death might be as simple as keeping a couple 2x4 swinging thugs out of your bus long enough to fire it up and drive off.

I used to live where it was common to have random drive by shootings into houses. I put my childrens beds so they were perpendicular to the street so that while they slept their bodies would provide the smallest possible target for a bullet to hit. Then I built headboards for their beds. They had shelves in it and stuff but it also had a "wall" consisting of 2x4's with thick plywood on either side. To top it off I always parked my vehicles right outside their bedroom wall, between them and the street. A little bit of lumber and a little bit of thought and my kids were much safer sleeping in their beds than the neighbors kids were. Never did have any drive-by's that hit my house, but I sure slept a lot better for my efforts.

So many people feel that if you're thinking about such things that you're living your life in fear and they pity you. They live in a fairy tale world where nothing bad ever happens and even if it does you can't change the outcome anyway so no point in even trying. They compare this to the make believe world of doom, gloom, goblins and bogeymen they think you live in, and they feel superior to you. The truth is that most of us have just seen the evil in some men's hearts and know what they're capable of when they think nobody is looking.

It is true that some people live in paranoid delusions and they'd be nuts even in a hardened bunker. They'd like to pretend that we're all in that category, but most people aren't like that. In my case, in the above story, the fear and sleepless nights are what prompted me to make those changes, and once I did them I never had to worry about it again.

I'm sure there are a boatload more ideas you guys could come up with to make our buses and their occupants safer should some scum-bag decide he's out to do some damage.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_WA
This could have been a good thread, except some seem to be of the opinion that since it's impossible or damn near unlikely to survive in a school bus facing a nuclear attack or attack from a trained and equipped military unit that there is simply no point in even trying to fortify against any potential scenario.
I think everyone will concede that unless you bury your bus underground and encase it in concrete, you're not gonna make a good fallout shelter out of it, and that little you do is going to protect you against a military assault. But what about the other 99.999% of things that you might encounter?

Life or death might be as simple as keeping a couple 2x4 swinging thugs out of your bus long enough to fire it up and drive off.

I used to live where it was common to have random drive by shootings into houses. I put my childrens beds so they were perpendicular to the street so that while they slept their bodies would provide the smallest possible target for a bullet to hit. Then I built headboards for their beds. They had shelves in it and stuff but it also had a "wall" consisting of 2x4's with thick plywood on either side. To top it off I always parked my vehicles right outside their bedroom wall, between them and the street. A little bit of lumber and a little bit of thought and my kids were much safer sleeping in their beds than the neighbors kids were. Never did have any drive-by's that hit my house, but I sure slept a lot better for my efforts.

So many people feel that if you're thinking about such things that you're living your life in fear and they pity you. They live in a fairy tale world where nothing bad ever happens and even if it does you can't change the outcome anyway so no point in even trying. They compare this to the make believe world of doom, gloom, goblins and bogeymen they think you live in, and they feel superior to you. The truth is that most of us have just seen the evil in some men's hearts and know what they're capable of when they think nobody is looking.

It is true that some people live in paranoid delusions and they'd be nuts even in a hardened bunker. They'd like to pretend that we're all in that category, but most people aren't like that. In my case, in the above story, the fear and sleepless nights are what prompted me to make those changes, and once I did them I never had to worry about it again.

I'm sure there are a boatload more ideas you guys could come up with to make our buses and their occupants safer should some scum-bag decide he's out to do some damage.

Very, very good story...good points...and excellent perception. Everyone should read this. I remember my grandparents, from a very different era, going from not locking the door, to locking it, to installing deadbolts. Now we have alarm systems and I bet people of my grandparent's era would have seen home alarms as paranoid. I've had fun with this thread personally but there are also some good ideas in everything from the common sense suggestions to the eccentric.