Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: BadMuthaFuka
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: All of us
Forum generated schoolie business ideas

I have existing alternative energy based LLC that is in great position to do it, great access to buses, space, and knowledge, but i would need capital for ramp up in return for share in company. thoughts?

Arvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
My main concern is whether or not there is a market for the service. If you could demonstrate that there is a large enough group of people in the market for pre-built skoolies, then I think you may be able to get something off the ground, but without that most people would be skeptical.

Just my 2 cents!
PigPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
Skoolie

feels like the "save the planet" "small house" "shrink footprint" push is gaining enough momentum. the cost of alternative energy hardware is being driven down into view. i think a $20-30k self contained mini home (mobile) is what the public might bite on?
Old 02-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
Skoolie

Living in a 7L diesel powered house isn't exactly the mindset behind the small house and "save the planet" (which is really save ourselves since the planet will be ok after all...).

the whole interest in a schoolie is that it is custom made for each and everyone of our desires and quirks...

A company that helps and assist in the process of titling, insuring, contacts for bus friendly parks, etc might be a better and easier business avenue.

I'm playing fast and loose with the word "better avenue" here...
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
Skoolie

no offense taken, great idea. that why it called a discussion right. that really was goal to generate schoolie based company of some sort.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E International
Rated Cap: 72
I think that a firm doing consulting and even providing hands-on assistance (you'd have to have contractors all over the place, but this is a good forum to find them, wink wink...) would be a more profitable and sustainable business model. As @mrblah says, most of us do this to have something entirely custom-made, and by doing the work ourselves we save considerable $$$$.

Full disclosure: I was a city land use and transportation planner for over a decade and had my own land use permitting consulting company after that. And then I decided to buy a bus and outfit it with a wood shop so that I can be wherever I want to be, make toys, and not be a part of the mainstream. So, I may be biased towards the consulting side of things, in addition to wanting a skoolie that simply won't be part of any company's product line (Who the hell would want to put a wood shop in their RV? Seriously, it's a ridiculous idea. So I've got that going for me.).

Shameless plug: if anybody is looking for toys or quilts hand-made by fellow skoolie-ers, check us out at http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThimbleberryToysLLC
VeldatheWonderbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #7
Skoolie

hell i would like a wood shop in the bus! and i too would never buy one. building R1 for the exact same reason, custom and the love of it. I like the idea of the consulting end of things. And please welcome all ideas about this topic.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeldatheWonderbus View Post
I think that a firm doing consulting and even providing hands-on assistance (you'd have to have contractors all over the place, but this is a good forum to find them, wink wink...) would be a more profitable and sustainable business model. As @mrblah says, most of us do this to have something entirely custom-made, and by doing the work ourselves we save considerable $$$$.

Full disclosure: I was a city land use and transportation planner for over a decade and had my own land use permitting consulting company after that. And then I decided to buy a bus and outfit it with a wood shop so that I can be wherever I want to be, make toys, and not be a part of the mainstream. So, I may be biased towards the consulting side of things, in addition to wanting a skoolie that simply won't be part of any company's product line (Who the hell would want to put a wood shop in their RV? Seriously, it's a ridiculous idea. So I've got that going for me.).

Shameless plug: if anybody is looking for toys or quilts hand-made by fellow skoolie-ers, check us out at http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThimbleberryToysLLC
You could run around the country making cabinets for schoolies..

Just saying! ;)
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:23 AM   #9
Skoolie

that would be a blast! and i bet you'd do OK $ wise too.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Sounds interesting, remember to keep the thread about info and not pimpin' or selling anything, and no hot links to company websites
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #11
Skoolie

for sure, thank you bansil. i just using more like minds to generate ideas. this forum Rocks!
Old 02-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevy Blue Bird Mini Bird (P30)
Engine: GM Diesel 6.2
I think there is a definite market for buying pre-build Skoolies.. but I believe there is more of a market for cheaper skoolies. As in, it costs 5k to build and you may up sell it for 7k or so. Something along those lines. Nothing too expensive or you'll scare away all the buyers.
jacobszall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E International
Rated Cap: 72
My apologies
VeldatheWonderbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #14

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Done.........

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Realistically something like a high end schoolie requires a lot of hours and craftsmanship. As a result folks want theirs to be custom and made to spec. This means its more of a "pay me to do it" than a "make and sell them" area. I imagine there are retrofiters that charge an arm and a leg to make it to whatever spec they get.
MaksWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #16
Skoolie

how do i do it? my bad wont happen again. wasn't trying to raise money, just ideas.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence of what a skoolie can sell for? I've also spent a lot of time thinking about what a business based around skoolies would look like (haven't we all???)

Based on the numbers I've crunched, the best potential may be in prepping the buses but not actually converting them. This allows people to get their custom build, without the hassle of finding a bus.

To get more in detail, I would set up shop in a state with loose re-titling rules so that the buses could come with an RV title. Buy buses, service all the major systems, gut the interior, put in floors, ceilings, insulation etc and perhaps do roof raises on some. Retitle it as an RV, and you've got the ideal buses for people wanting an easy way to build their own bus...
Old 02-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Man, I would NEVER sell a bus that I had done a roof raise on without getting a signature on a heavy duty disclaimer. Like, "I agree that I'm a fool for even contemplating this."
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Man, I would NEVER sell a bus that I had done a roof raise on without getting a signature on a heavy duty disclaimer. Like, "I agree that I'm a fool for even contemplating this."
Well liability waivers go without saying, and the roof raise would be just one of the problems. That hypothetical business was just an idea of what may attract the most customers while avoiding time/labor that doesn't add to the profitability.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
I already do this for a living. It didnt take an investor to get me started, just a positive winning attitude and about a decade of experience.

I also do consulting on it which is basically the best thing ever.

Everyone wants some of that tiny house money.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote