Old 02-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE200
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Forum generated schoolie business ideas

I have existing alternative energy based LLC that is in great position to do it, great access to buses, space, and knowledge, but i would need capital for ramp up in return for share in company. thoughts?
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
My main concern is whether or not there is a market for the service. If you could demonstrate that there is a large enough group of people in the market for pre-built skoolies, then I think you may be able to get something off the ground, but without that most people would be skeptical.

Just my 2 cents!
PigPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #3
Skoolie

feels like the "save the planet" "small house" "shrink footprint" push is gaining enough momentum. the cost of alternative energy hardware is being driven down into view. i think a $20-30k self contained mini home (mobile) is what the public might bite on?
Old 02-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
Skoolie

Living in a 7L diesel powered house isn't exactly the mindset behind the small house and "save the planet" (which is really save ourselves since the planet will be ok after all...).

the whole interest in a schoolie is that it is custom made for each and everyone of our desires and quirks...

A company that helps and assist in the process of titling, insuring, contacts for bus friendly parks, etc might be a better and easier business avenue.

I'm playing fast and loose with the word "better avenue" here...
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Skoolie

no offense taken, great idea. that why it called a discussion right. that really was goal to generate schoolie based company of some sort.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E International
I think that a firm doing consulting and even providing hands-on assistance (you'd have to have contractors all over the place, but this is a good forum to find them, wink wink...) would be a more profitable and sustainable business model. As @mrblah says, most of us do this to have something entirely custom-made, and by doing the work ourselves we save considerable $$$$.

Full disclosure: I was a city land use and transportation planner for over a decade and had my own land use permitting consulting company after that. And then I decided to buy a bus and outfit it with a wood shop so that I can be wherever I want to be, make toys, and not be a part of the mainstream. So, I may be biased towards the consulting side of things, in addition to wanting a skoolie that simply won't be part of any company's product line (Who the hell would want to put a wood shop in their RV? Seriously, it's a ridiculous idea. So I've got that going for me.).

Shameless plug: if anybody is looking for toys or quilts hand-made by fellow skoolie-ers, check us out at http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThimbleberryToysLLC
VeldatheWonderbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #7
Skoolie

hell i would like a wood shop in the bus! and i too would never buy one. building R1 for the exact same reason, custom and the love of it. I like the idea of the consulting end of things. And please welcome all ideas about this topic.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeldatheWonderbus View Post
I think that a firm doing consulting and even providing hands-on assistance (you'd have to have contractors all over the place, but this is a good forum to find them, wink wink...) would be a more profitable and sustainable business model. As @mrblah says, most of us do this to have something entirely custom-made, and by doing the work ourselves we save considerable $$$$.

Full disclosure: I was a city land use and transportation planner for over a decade and had my own land use permitting consulting company after that. And then I decided to buy a bus and outfit it with a wood shop so that I can be wherever I want to be, make toys, and not be a part of the mainstream. So, I may be biased towards the consulting side of things, in addition to wanting a skoolie that simply won't be part of any company's product line (Who the hell would want to put a wood shop in their RV? Seriously, it's a ridiculous idea. So I've got that going for me.).

Shameless plug: if anybody is looking for toys or quilts hand-made by fellow skoolie-ers, check us out at http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThimbleberryToysLLC
You could run around the country making cabinets for schoolies..

Just saying! ;)
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #9
Skoolie

that would be a blast! and i bet you'd do OK $ wise too.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #10
Site Team

Sounds interesting, remember to keep the thread about info and not pimpin' or selling anything, and no hot links to company websites
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote