Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2017, 04:03 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Question Found a bus, but now I'm confused? Help?

I found a decent looking bus, but I'm really confused on what I have actually found. So here goes...
The link where I found the bus is here: https://www.rbauction.com/2012-BLUEB...LLA-AK-2017145

and here some of the pics of it:

front looks nice.

back looks nice too. And LOOK at the roof height.

The blue bird ID tag.

And here's the Chassis tag.

Ok this bus is tagged as a 44 pasenger bus but count the flipping windows there'S 15 OF THEM so that makes it a 40 footer. Am I correct on this? 44 passenger seating and maybe cargo space?

mileage and hours

Mileage and a red flag!!!

Being I could magnify the blue bird ID, I found a link on blue bird site called vantage where I coud get the scoop on this bus and I found the following:

Unit Dashboard | Portal

With that I'm more confussed on this link it says it's a Cummins ISB-10. I checked on the Cummins site and can't find a ISB-10, on the richie brothers site it's marked as a Cummins ISB-07 6.7 L. So is there an ISB-10?

I also tried to find the tranny # at the Allison site but didn't get anywhere in finding information about the tranny #. TRANSMISSION SERIAL NO: 6511009599

The only BAD thing I see is that it's in Wasilla,AK might as well be in Moscow Russia.

I'm hoping that some of the experienced members will chime in and give me some more education.

Thank you all for any help!
Rob...

North Plains Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
That's gona be an expensive nightmare, man.
Unless you're an A class diesel tech with deep pockets, its gonna eat you alive if anything ever goes wrong, which it may.
I'd avoid anything that takes DEF.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I would STRONGLY advise you to run, not walk from that bus. We have several All Americans at my work and the 2012-2013 MYs were really bad.

They have the first generation DEF system in them, which is highly prone to failure and costs a ton of money to fix. Worst, you can't simply rip the stuff out because the ECM is programmed to go into limp mode if it detects that the DEF system is missing.

You can't simply delete the DEF/EGR systems like you can on a Ram pickup because the bypass software doesn't exist, and even if it did Bluebird/Cummins wouldn't give it to you under any circumstances.

We have one 2011 All American that's already at $8K in warranty claims, mainly associated with the DEF system. I couldn't possibly imagine ever owning one of these and being responsible for all the repair costs.

Also it's in Alaska so it's gonna be a huge hassle to bring it back to the lower 48 (I'm assuming that's where you're at).

Let the dealers/exporters fight over the thing. They'll buy it for $20K and try to sell it for $30K and some stupid sucker will buy the bus and get hosed.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
The "Unit Dashboard" portal has some very generic wiring schematics that everyone should make note of. Sure helps in tracing wiring and problems in different equipment throughout the BBirds. Can apply to most any make also as the principles are the same for any bus.
Thanks for that invaluable link North Plains Drifter.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
Skoolie

44 pax will be counting in adult sizes rather than the 3 per seat for child. I have seen some church buses etc count this way.

I would run from this bus. Early emissions equipped, high miles, engine warning light (any idea why its on?) Plus it will cost $1000 in diesel to get the darn thing home, not including travel costs to get there. Even if it was free I probably wouldnt take it.
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post
44 pax will be counting in adult sizes rather than the 3 per seat for child. I have seen some church buses etc count this way.

I would run from this bus. Early emissions equipped, high miles, engine warning light (any idea why its on?) Plus it will cost $1000 in diesel to get the darn thing home, not including travel costs to get there. Even if it was free I probably wouldnt take it.
The hours seem REALLY high for being a 2012.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:11 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Where in ND are you?
Have you checked with Hartley's in Rugby for a bus?
They are easy to work with.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I'm running, I'm Running

EastCoastCB,
WIbluebird,
BlackJohn
,deftone,
& Alan N
Hey thanks, I didn't even think of the emissions garbage and yes shipping (driving) would be a bitch and costly. Probably more than the price of the bus it's self. I suppose the high hour a due to the bus sitting there idling during the cold weather in Alaska?

I do know that I'm wanting a Blue Bird, I'm needing a 40 footer,as the last 10 foot or so will be for closed off storage. So is 84 pass the only occupancy to be looking at? I'm pretty sure I'll be looking at an FE as from looking at pictures FE vs. RE that big rear door on the FE is just what the doctor ordered.

I'm also a Cummins fan, can any one tell me which years that BB put the C6 8.3L engines in them? That would get me clear of the emissions crap, would it not? What Allison tranny's go with the C6 during that era? I will be pulling a toad. and that's another question, what about the rear-end swing?

Now just out of curiosity when you are parked and have to run into town for supplies, a whopper, and/or beer. are you able to lock your skoolies up to keep out the riff raff? Has anyone taken out the bus doors and put an RV door in it's place?

I really appreciate your posts and opening my eyes to what I hadn't even thought of, back to the drawing board.

Rob
Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

I would echo the don't walk away but run away screaming from this bus opinion.

IMHO, that is most likely a garage queen that someone wants to shift to someone else. It is old enough that it is probably just out of warranty and is now needing a repair the owner is going to have to pay to have repaired.

Another issue in regards to any bus purchased in AK and needing to be moved to the lower 48, if you do NOT have an air brake endorsement on your driver's license you will NOT be able to drive it through BC. For a lot of reasons, every vehicle with air brakes are required to stop at a Port of Entry. No air brake endorsement and the vehicle is red flagged until a driver with the proper credentials shows up to drive the bus.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan N View Post
Where in ND are you?
Have you checked with Hartley's in Rugby for a bus?
They are easy to work with.
I'm north of Bismarck. I have both Hartley's and Harlows book marked and watch hem often,