Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2020, 05:36 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarWorm View Post
I can’t seem to locate the answer I’m looking for, could someone else give an second opinion ? I’m looking to put an internal inline filter in my water system . Setup looking like ( water tank then pre screen filter , pump , on way valve , accumulator , t connection for city inlet , thennnnn the in-line filter , to cold use and to hot water tank ... whew). It can really go in a lot of different fashions but the main thing I’m questioning is can I use the inline filter with an accumulator...

Not an expert, but I don't think a filter is going to cause a problem with the accumulator. What are you filtering for? putting the city water in after the accumulator may cause over pressure problems for the accumulator? The one way valve should prevent pump problems.

I would think that you need another one way to prevent your pump from emptying your tank into the city water if the city had lower pressure. I assume that the city water has a valve to turn it off when not in use.

PS...Here is a British article that may be of interest/help.

https://pumpexpress.co.uk/explaining...-accumulators/

kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:43 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
I can’t seem to locate the answer I’m looking for, could someone else give an second opinion ? I’m looking to put an internal inline filter in my water system . Setup looking like ( water tank then pre screen filter , pump , on way valve , accumulator , t connection for city inlet , thennnnn the in-line filter , to cold use and to hot water tank ... whew). It can really go in a lot of different fashions but the main thing I’m questioning is can I use the inline filter with an accumulator...

Sure. We put this filter after the accumulator. It works just fine, no problems with the accumulator.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:35 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
sorry it took so long to see your answer, blader, yes, but cheap as I am i was thinking more along the lines of twin size water bed or air mattress. Might need a side boards type of support frame (with door hinges at the corners so I could take it apart quickly for storage).
Look up "water blivet"

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:36 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
I’m looking to put an internal inline filter in my water system . Setup looking like ( water tank then pre screen filter , pump , on way valve , accumulator , t connection for city inlet , thennnnn the in-line filter , to cold use and to hot water tank ... whew).
If I understanding correctly, yes.

My water system diagram is here, I think it does what you are asking but in a slightly different fashion (two sets of filters).
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
before you try to filter scummy water please check out forever water pollutants. some things do not filter out.
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:29 AM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
before you try to filter scummy water please check out forever water pollutants. some things do not filter out.
Yeah, I assumed we were talking potable water from campgrounds, truck stops, dump station fresh water taps, etc. Even still, we use a Berkey filter for drinking water.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:35 AM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
If I understanding correctly, yes.

My water system diagram is here, I think it does what you are asking but in a slightly different fashion (two sets of filters).

You the man Jd . I assumed it would work but good to see others do it first . Putting a valve on either side is a good idea to change the filter with out draining the system . This is just for dishes and shower and to fill the Berkey . We plan on using spring water and from our experience ( not recommending ) if you drink it from where it’s coming out real cold you will be fine ( and it’s the best water ) but as soon as it sits and warms up a couple times that’s when “live” water really can fester so this is to address that for our dishes . ( prob thro some chlorine in the tank if it sits for a while ,, is that common?)
LunarWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:39 AM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
You the man Jd.
HA!!

Quote:
( prob thro some chlorine in the tank if it sits for a while ,, is that common?)
As far as fresh water holding tank goes, yes - adding a bit of chlorine is common (for both regular treatment and shock cleaning). There are some good instructions for this on the Internet ( There are two positions in the RV world - those who use their holding tank water for human consumption and those that think that is the worst idea they have ever heard. I fall into the former - but I was raised on a farm... I take care to only put 'good' water into my holding tank, take care of it, and I drink and cook with it. I can imagine scenarios where it makes sense to do otherwise so one has to consider their situation and make the best decision for them.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:49 AM   #49
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
HA!!

There are two positions in the RV world - those who use their holding tank water for human consumption and those that think that is the worst idea they have ever heard.

I like the anticipation from what is coming..

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #50
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
FWIW, I use hydrogen peroxide to sanitize the water/tank.

We have well water and sometimes this causes the hot water to smell like sulfur, neutral with peroxide.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
FWIW, I use hydrogen peroxide to sanitize the water/tank.

We have well water and sometimes this causes the hot water to smell like sulfur, neutral with peroxide.
When we lived in AZ our well water was horrible. Sulfer/rotten egg smell and left rust stains on everything. The local water treatment guy told me that the only practical way to get decent water was to install an H2O2 injector at the well head and a particulate filter downstream from that.

Apparently the H2O2 causes the contaminates clump and get caught by the downstream filter.

The downside was having to drive 100+ miles each way to pick up a 400+ pound barrel of 90% H2O2 and tote it home.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:12 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
When we lived in AZ our well water was horrible. Sulfer/rotten egg smell and left rust stains on everything. The local water treatment guy told me that the only practical way to get decent water was to install an H2O2 injector at the well head and a particulate filter downstream from that.

Apparently the H2O2 causes the contaminates clump and get caught by the downstream filter.

The downside was having to drive 100+ miles each way to pick up a 400+ pound barrel of 90% H2O2 and tote it home.

Rocket fuel?
Old 02-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Rocket fuel?
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=H2o2

The Murder Bus
Old 02-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post

I was just wondering if you knew how dangerous that concentrated H2O2 was. It can be very explosive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-test_peroxide

https://bluesheepdog.com/hydrogen-peroxide-bomb/

more links
https://lmgtfy.com/?qtype=search&t=w...e=&media_type=
Old 02-05-2020, 01:58 PM   #55
Bus Nut

If you are going to be using water from wild sources(ponds, steams, etc) you will probably want to filter it in stages. To filter drinking water you need a micron sized filter, if you run stream water thru it it will be clogged fast.
I let wild water sit in a container for as long as 12-24hours if I can, a huge amount of stuff will settle to the bottom, even in 3hours an amazing amount of particles will settle out of water. If water is from a source with lots of light organic matter I will filterer it after setting with charcoal or cheap paper filters such as coffee filters. After settling and pre-filtering I run it thru a micron filter, this makes micron filters operate much better makes then last 100s of times longer .

I bought a Eco 185 Submersible/Inline Pump 158 GPH for about $25. it has pumped a lot of water and never had any problems. 158 GPH will fill 3-55gallong barrels in an hour, you can pay a bit more and get bigger/faster pumps. I have been using Hydrofarm 3/4" tubing is is about $1-ft, 50' for $50. it works fine on the pump.

There are a lot of different micron filters these days from cheap day hiker trinkets to large ceramic ones $30-$3000. like everything you get what you pay for.

Some folks love RO, a bit more then I want to spend and I don't like being that dependent on electricity.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #56
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I was just wondering if you knew how dangerous that concentrated H2O2 was. It can be very explosive.
I did not know...
Chemistry IS a fascinating animal...

We use hydrogen permanganate to treat our well water -- it's not a harmless thing to have in the house either but not explosive...

I miss my Colorado Mountain water -- best tap water I've ever had -- and you can't make good beer without good water!

The Murder Bus
Old 02-05-2020, 04:41 PM   #57
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
I did not know...
Chemistry IS a fascinating animal...

We use hydrogen permanganate to treat our well water -- it's not a harmless thing to have in the house either but not explosive...

I miss my Colorado Mountain water -- best tap water I've ever had -- and you can't make good beer without good water!

never made beer, but Coors was my beer when I drank